1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Next Texans Head Coach (and GM)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Oct 5, 2020.

1. steveng125

steveng125 Member

Keep hearing jimmy johnson hates jack easterby. Maybe jimmy gets cal to fire him.

2. Damion Laverne

F U C K him lol

O'Brien 2.0 (this time, with not as many malcontents as the Bengals)

3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Id say hes more of a Jeff Fisher

4. Newlin

Newlin Member

I can’t remember the team or even the sport. But I remember a time that an owner asked for advice from a consultant, and then the consultant ended up with the job.

5. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

You want a retread coach? Dungy would be the one....but I think he would be better as a GM at this point.

6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

These guys are simply being asked to advise and consult. There is really no reason to think they would do otherwise.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I get that... I’m just questioning how into it they’re actually going to be, while separating their own self-interests or ties.

Maybe other teams have gone to this strategy before and I missed it.

8. conquistador#11

I'm just impressed that Buford is involved. I've never heard of a current ceo, not retired, but active ceo helping in the search for another franchise in a completely different city. Mind blowing to me. Is it as a favor to big papa Mcnair? Is a job for Chase Buford going to open up . So many questions. Imagine Morey counseling Jerra Jones

9. DasouthDakota

DasouthDakota Rookie

how about Ryan Day from Ohio State?

10. gucci888

Jimmy is 77 and has been out for 20 years, Dungy for over 10. Really not concerned about these guys playing some type of long game either for themselves or their old team(s). But any concern of that should be alleviated by the fact Cal is bringing in multiple guys.

At the end, Cal has brought in multiple execs that have won big. The alternative is relying on your own front office that has been an absolute clown show the past few years.

csj likes this.
  11. showa13

showa13 Member

Did some poking around, didn't find out anything interesting other than Brady and Bienimey are almost deadlocked at the top of the list for HC(was reiterated that Deshaun is a fan of both). GM is more of a wide spectrum but Dorsey, the No. 2's in KC and Indy, and Louis Riddick(Rooney Rule) will all probably get some attention. Don't think new HC will be Saleh, as Detroit will be backing up the brinks truck for him and don't think it'll be a college coach.

Also there is def a Deshaun factor for potential candidates as he is viewed as by far the best player on any current or potential HC opening.
    I heard this, and that Jimmy is most definitely not alone on the hate Easterbunny train with the committee. Hearing the committee might be the best thing Cal has done, all want to do this for Bob McNair's legacy.

the11mingdynasty and J.R. like this.
  12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

To clarify, I doubt they're gunning for a job/pay-day... but I have questions as to how interested they are in seeing the Texans succeed and whether or not they'll be truly passionate/head-fast in any of their recommendations.

Sometimes having too much input is a detriment... even for a ****-show franchise that doesn't know its front from its *******.

In the end, I do feel they need to lean towards what Deshaun prefers.

13. gucci888

I hear ya but don’t see the downside bringing in guys that have had experience building and winning championship programs. These guys could have easily said no thanks and continue with their current jobs. No reason to think they won’t be professional in doing something they are choosing to do.

Ultimately this will be Cal’s decision and feel better that he’ll be getting input from these guys vs conferring with the likes of Jack Easterby and Jaimie Roots.

red5rocket likes this.
  14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

15. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Technically Cal cited Dungy as someone he has consulted with separate from the search committee, so Dungy ain't lying.

The group involved in the GM and HC search includes Cal, Jamey Rootes (Houston Texans President), and the search firm (Korn Ferry) per Cal.

16. edwardc

edwardc Member

We won't get a new HC or GM without firing jack easterby.

17. gucci888

Of course we will. Question is how much it will affect who we get. My first hope is that this "Advisory Committee" tells Cal straight off the bat that Easterby needs to go. My second hope is that if Cal wants to go after a guy like Dorsey, he tells Cal that Easterby needs to f*ck off or I'm out.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  18. Fantasma Negro

19. edwardc

edwardc Member

That's most likely will happen at least we can hope so.

gucci888 likes this.
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Deshaun Watson advocating for Texans to keep offensive coordinator Tim Kelly on Houston coaching staff in 2021

Texans offensive coordinator Tim Kelly has been impressing ownership with his stellar work with quarterback Deshaun Watson since the firing of overbearing head coach Bill O'Brien, sources said, and making a strong case to retained as part of the new staff Cal McNair is assembling.

McNair is overseeing a search for a new coach and general manager, and sweeping changes are coming to the organization. But it is not out of the question that the incoming head coach is urged -- or more -- to keep certain assistants on the staff, as Jerry Jones did with young coordinator Kellen Moore continuing to work with Dak Prescott as new coach Mike McCarthy put together the rest of the staff.

Watson, the single greatest asset in the Texans organization, is having a career year, which would be worthy of MVP consideration if the team were in contention. Especially since O'Brien was fired -- he usurped play-calling duties from Kelly as a last-ditch attempt to keep his job -- Kelly and Watson have flourished, with the quarterback protecting the football, avoiding sacks and continuing to make big plays downfield despite the trade of future Hall of Fame receiver De'Andre Hopkins in the offseason.

Kelly is earning raves internally, sources said, and Watson has also advocated for him. That resonates with ownership. Watson is sixth in the NFL in completion percentage and leads the NFL with a gaudy 8.83 yards per attempt. He is ninth in the NFL in touchdown passes and eighth in interception percentage while ranking third in QB rating (110.0).

Kelly, 34, has been with the Texans since 2014, coming over from Penn State with O'Brien when he left Happy Valley to jump to the NFL. Kelly coached offensive line and tight ends before rising to the offensive coordinator position in 2019 and eventually assuming play-calling duties. Given how many teams will be seeking a new offensive coordinator in 2021, Kelly is well-positioned either way, but it would not be surprising at all at this point if he was still in Houston next season and beyond.