1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Outlier

Outlier Member

Believe it or not, total death rates ARE one of the talking points from people who don't believe in the virus.

Sharing personal stories or news articles probably aren't as effective as data when dealing with these people

So I don't get the indifference between you and robbie. It's stupid.

If you aren't trying to help people and share the message. Then what are you doing?

jchu14 likes this.
  2. Roscoe Arbuckle

Y'all are the useful idiots; too naive to look at actual numbers. If Covid kills 100,000 people but average Heart Disease deaths fall by 100,000? For some reason you choose to not look into that.

3. Outlier

Outlier Member

Who said I refused to look into that?

Look below:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Who is naive? You or me?

What's your next excuse now?

Average heart rate deaths is the same. I looked into that.

Thanks, useful idiot.

Learn to use data, please.

Nook and jchu14 like this.
  4. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Do you even numbers, bro?

Outlier likes this.
  5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I'll tell you what I tell everyone...

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/excess_deaths.htm

scroll down to options

then click on 'total number above average by cause' on the right hand column/4th option down.

click update dashboard

You can see that circulatory diseases are actually above average.

Ziggy likes this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

You are a ****ing moron........ and worse than being a moron you are a wilfully ignorant jackass.

Get your fat ass back to doing reviews of crappy fast food and banging mentally ill middle aged women that just want you to pay their bills.

Sometimes YOU really are the loser in the group.

7. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Old man gets vaccine, gives great interview:

"No point in dying now that I've lived this long"

8. Buck Turgidson

Deadliest Days in American History
    1. Galveston Hurricane of 1900 - 8,000
    2. Antietam - 3,600
    3. September 11, 2001 - 2,977
    4. Last Thursday - 2,861
    5. Last Wednesday - 2,762
    6. Last Tuesday - 2,461
    7. Last Friday - 2,439
    8. Pearl Harbor - 2,403
    *I cannot vouch for the totals or the accuracy of this, but I guarantee it's close enough

Ziggy and Nook like this.
  9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The best part of this is the guy to whom the quote is attributed is named.................. "Martin Kenyon".
    Still not as good as the 2nd person in the UK to get vaccinated being named "William Shakespeare".

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Over 7000 Americans die every day in a normal year, so no, this is nowhere near accurate.

In a normal year, about twice as many Americans die from lung cancer alone than from COVID-19.

In a normal year, about 3 times as many Americans die from heart disease than from COVID-19.

Let's not get crazy.

Astrodome likes this.
  11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

About 8,000 people die per day normally or just under 3 million a year in total. I believe we will be around 15% higher than average this year this includes non-covid related deaths (which seem to be elevated as well). It's roughly a 2.2:1 to 2.5:1 ratio with those covid to non-covid excess deaths.

All of that data is at the link I gave for fatty.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It'll also probably lead to a drop next year's totals. A lot of people set to die next year from terminal illnesses ended up dying this year instead.

13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I tend to agree with that however, when I was going thru the data a few weeks back I noticed a trend of greater non-covid excess deaths in states that had experienced major outbreaks and also with states that tended to be more relaxed with covid restrictions. It kind of surprised me to see that and made me wonder what else was going on. I haven't really seen this discussed so I'm not too sure, but the differences were significant.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well there was also a ton of unrest going on with rioting and looting in many areas that have led to increases in homicide rates. On top of that, everywhere had at least a brief shutdown and that kind of thing increases domestic violence and suicide, both things that can cause "excess deaths"......on top of that, the COVID response, even in more lenient states put millions out of work and caused financial hardship.....something that leads to increases in all kinds of violent crime but especially in domestic violence, homicide, and suicide.

Long term, the response to COVID will be considerably more deadly than the actual virus itself when we're talking about those under 50. Especially when you factor in the long term effects on the economy of basically killing off small business across the country.

15. Outlier

Outlier Member

The difference is between COVID and those items you listed is COVID was more preventable. We had unnecessary deaths and that means nothing to you.

16. Buck Turgidson

You're right, @Silent_Bob, I forgot the qualifier "of unnatural causes".

I'm sure you'll tell me that COVID is a perfectly natural cause, and hell, so are hurricanes, so we can end this little talk right here. My apologies.

CometsWin and Nook like this.
  17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, it wasn't.

Not without completely closing the borders in November of 2019.

Once the virus was here, the only choice was to have it burn itself out quickly or to slow down the spread and have it last a year or more. We chose the latter, which is why outside of a few embarrassments like NY and NJ, the death toll has been relatively low and the average age of COVID deaths has been higher than the average life expectancy in this country.

If we decided to just let it burn itself out, the death toll would have been a lot higher, but it would be essentially over long ago.

There really wasn't an option to simply not have to deal with it.

Disease is a natural cause of death.....go ahead and look it up if you disagree.

18. Outlier

Outlier Member

The death toll is low? Are you kidding me? Are you glossing over the data I just posted in the past few pages? Some of you are hopeless.

London'sBurning and Nook like this.
  19. Outlier

Outlier Member

I can't wait for the day all this "red states vs blue states" is REDUCED. The past four years have been unbearable with all this divisive bullcrap. We are the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, for God's sake.

London'sBurning likes this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

"Leading Causes of Death
    Data are for the U.S. per the CDC

Number of deaths for leading causes of death

• Heart disease: 655,381
    • Cancer: 599,274
    • Accidents (unintentional injuries): 167,127
    • Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 159,486
    • Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 147,810
    • Alzheimer’s disease: 122,019
    • Diabetes: 84,946
    • Influenza and pneumonia: 59,120
    • Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 51,386
    • Intentional self-harm (suicide): 48,344"

We are currently at around 300,000 dead from COVID since the outbreak ramped up in March, so over a year span we are likely looking at around 500,000 and that is with lock downs and mask mandates. So we can argue all we want but COVID19 has been a major killer of Americans and likely would have killed many, many more had we not attacked it like we have.

I agree with @robbie380 that there are other major killers that we can cut down on with improved diet and exercise, for example heart disease, diabetes and chronic lower respiratory disease. I don't think that should have been the focus during the pandemic though.