1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Radricky

Radricky Member

I have a pretty bad feeling we are going to be extremely disappointed this off-season.
    No springer, no brantley, and scrap pile type pickups.
    I hope I'm wrong

raining threes likes this.
  2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The Astros have a great team with a couple of holes. Get a couple of ~2-win OFs and pitching depth off the scrap pile and the Astros are a World Series contender.

The Beard, htwnbandit and IowaAstro like this.
  3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I think you’re right. I don’t expect Houston to make any $30M+ signings or trade for any star players. And that will leave most fans disappointed. But I am optimistic that Click will find excellent value in the moves he does make, and luckily Houston already profiles as a playoff team, so they don’t necessarily have to make marquee moves in order to contend again.

4. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

White Sox signed Adam Eaton so they are probably out on Brantley and Springer.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

To think, the White Sox started their rebuild at the same time as the Rangers fell from glory, but decided against rebuilding. White Sox are a good team now, and Rangers long term future outlook is probably bleaker than it was 4 offseasons ago.

Available OF 2021 Projection Scorecard
    20201208_122307.jpg

#905 Joe Joe, Dec 8, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
  6. awc713

awc713 Member

#906 awc713, Dec 8, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
  7. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Apparently White Sox interested in Brantley and Hendricks.

8. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

why

TWS1986 likes this.
  9. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

Gotta be better than Garneau and he’s still somewhat solid defensively, right? I’d feel much better about a machete/ Castro platoon with maldy having some fresh legs because garneau was unbearable to watch in big AB’s and it was a track meet on the base paths when he was back there

10. raining threes

When Click signs Castro that should comfort you.

What has Click done that makes you think he will be able to find the kind of guys you listed? I'm just hoping at this point this doesn't turn out to be another Hunsicker/Timmy Poops situation.

everyday eddie likes this.
  11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Castro is exactly the kind of free agent I think Click would target. Very good defender, complements Maldonado offensively, good clubhouse guy, deepens the roster, won’t be expensive.

The Rays were nothing short of masterful in building their roster over the years Click was in Tampa. No team has done more with less. From what I can tell, Click was a key part in scouting major leaguers and having input in almost all major decisions for them. That, combined with Crane’s demonstrated prowess at hiring guys who win, leads me to be optimistic.

IowaAstro, raining threes and TWS1986 like this.
  12. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Ehehehegehehege

13. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

So what's the deal with Brantley?

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

;)

IDK

15. raining threes

Hope you're right

Crane has done a great job hiring people.

Maldanado is an offense first catcher. What's his batting avg? Castro's is worse. Imagine Maldanado getting hurt and missing a month, automatic out from Castro for a month, that's what we have to look forward too. Might as well use Stubbs at the backup C position and use that money for OF help or BP help. That would be a better use of resources. IMHO

Of course I didn't care for Castro's play when he was here the first time. Nothing has changed since he left to change my mind.

16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Maldonado is NOT an offense first catcher. For his career he has been a 75 wRC+ hitter (25% below league average). Maldonado has an elite elite arm and that is where his nickname and rep comes from. He was a good hitter for Houston in 2020 but that was by far his best offensive season.

Castro has been a roughly average hitter (93 wRC+) in his career, and of course had a star-level season in 2013. His defense (framing) has gotten better as he’s gotten older but his offense has fallen off a bit.

Maldonado/Castro would be the best catching tandem Houston has had since McCann/Gattis, and possibly even better than that, depending on how much you weigh defense.

Assuming it’s a 2 year deal with <$12M guaranteed, I am totally on board with Houston signing Jason Castro.

17. raining threes

You must like seeing Castro in a 3-0 count then taking three strikes down the middle.

jim1961 likes this.
  18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Would I rather Crane spend $250M and resign Springer and add Realmuto? Of course! But that’s not reality. Reality is Houston probably only has $20-30M in payroll flexibility and adding players most on this board will think are “good” probably isn’t in the cards. So when I am looking at the moves Houston can make within their budget to improve their team, adding a lefthanded starting quality catcher to pair with Machete who will only cost ~$5M/yr for a year or 2 seems like a pretty good option.

19. raining threes

I dont think Castro is a starting level catcher unless you're the Pirates or a team like that with young P. If you want a C then I would look at trading for a young guy like Mejia or a guy like Austin Barnes and spend the money that you say (I agree) will be tight elsewhere. That extra 5 mil may make a difference in bringing a guy like Brantley back. I dont think Click really wants Brantley back unless he comes at a bargain and that wont happen.

20. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I'm a little more positive than this....but it is a bit funny to me when people think just because someone worked in an organization they will be able to produce the same results as the GM who led that organization

Don't get me wrong, I hope Click knocks it out of the park. But to this point, we haven't seen any moves show us he is that guy. Again, he hasn't done anything bad....i'm just in the corner of "we will see" as opposed to feeling confident he is the guy who will get it done