1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN Sources: James Harden was not in Houston today but told Rockets FO he will be soon

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Dec 6, 2020.

1. John Harvey

John Harvey Member

tilman?

2. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

3. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

https://theathletic.com/news/james-harden-rockets-camp/ko7KoUQn5gRF

Rockets coach Stephen Silas said Monday that "there is no timetable" for James Harden to join the team at training camp.

Silas said the reasoning behind the absence is on Harden.

"What's real is he's not here and he has a reason, and it's on him to tell whoever," Silas said.

The Rockets began camp Sunday without the three-time scoring champ and 2017-18 NBA MVP. Silas previously said Thursday he expected Harden with the team when practice began, but practice began Sunday without him.

The Athletic's Shams Charania reported in November that Harden wanted a trade, with Brooklyn and Philadelphia his top choices.

The Rockets traded Russell Westbrook to the Wizards last week for John Wall and a protected first-round pick.

This is a developing story. More to come.

D-rock likes this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

(Don’t blame Silas)

D-rock, J Sizzle and Vivi like this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

They said they’re not at this point or not considering it (yet) but..

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q107

107. How does player discipline work? Can teams fine or suspend players for any reason? Do fines and suspensions apply to team salary?
    The league or a player's team can levy a fine and/or suspension for breaking league or team rules1, respectively. Generally the league and the team do not both discipline a player for the same violation, and the league retains the right to rescind any team discipline within 48 hours and impose its own. However, there are a few exceptions where a player can be disciplined by both the league and his team -- when the egregious nature of the act or conduct is so lacking in justification as to warrant a double penalty. The CBA does not give a complete list of reasons for which a player can be fined or suspended, although some are specified:
    • Missing the rookie transition program: Five game suspension.
    • Failure to attend a promotional appearance: $20,000 fine.
    • Failure to attend a media training session: $20,000 fine.
    • Failure to attend a "Business of Basketball" program: $5,000 fine.
    • Failure to attend an anti-gambling training session: $20,000 fine.
    • Failure to attend a licensing appearance: Fine up to $20,000.
    • Failure to attend a "mandatory program": $20,000 fine.
    • Intentional failure or refusal to render the services required under the player's contract or the CBA: Suspension (length unspecified).
    • Missed practice: $2,500 for the first occurrence, $5,000 for the second, $7,500 for the third, and greater discipline, including suspension, for subsequent missed practices.
    • Failure to report following a trade: Penalty (unspecified) from both the league and the player's new team.
    • Failure to cooperate with investigations of alleged player misconduct: Fine or suspension (amount/length unspecified).
    • Failure to pay union dues: Suspension until the requirement is satisfied.
    • Failure to report for an NBA Developmental League assignment: Suspension until the player reports.
    • Violation of NBA Developmental League's league or team rules: (Penalty unspecified).
    • Any violation of team rules: (Penalty unspecified).
    • Wagering on NBA games: Fine, suspension or disqualification.
    • Player not in good physical or mental condition, and unfit to play skilled basketball2: Suspension until ready to play.
    • Conduct against the best interests of the NBA or basketball: Fine up to $50,000 and/or suspension.
    • Not paying hotel incidentals while on road trips: $100 file for the first two occurrences, increasing penalties for subsequent occurrences.
    • Tampering or unauthorized agreement: See question number 111.
    • Unlawful violence (convicted of a violent felony): 10 games minimum suspension.
    • Failure to attend a clinical evaluation or counseling per the "Counseling for Violent Misconduct" program: $10,000 per day fine after the first 72 hours.
    • Violations of the drug program: See question number 109.
    The money from fines and suspensions is put to good use -- it's given to charities of the NBA's and players association's choosing. Players are not paid while they are suspended -- for each missed game, the player is docked a portion of his salary, whether suspended for a preseason, regular season or postseason game (see question number 13 for information on how suspensions impact team salary) as follows:

• If the suspension is less than 20 games, 1/145 of his base compensation.
    • If the suspension is 20 or more games, or an indefinite suspension that lasts at least 20 games, 1/110 of his base compensation.
    A suspended player can be traded.

#245 J.R., Dec 7, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
    Shark44, BigShasta and Vivi like this.
  6. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I think we give him a deadline to report and if he doesn't then pay is docked/suspended until the situation is resolved. Tired of the diva crap.

J.R. likes this.
  7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Wow! The entitlement with this guy.

8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

9. opticon

opticon Member

James is turning him self into a distressed asset. The longer he holds out the lower his value, which In turn increases the likely of a Brooklyn deal. Harden is sitting on heaps of money. I know it's
    A different sport, but if a running back at the top of his game can sit out a season without pay, a player with Harden's resources can as well. It will be interesting to see who blinks first.

10. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I'd enjoy seeing the NBPA try to defend that to an arbitrator.

"We would like him to get paid."

"Is he reporting to work under the terms of his contract?"

"No."

"..."

11. alexcapone

12. riko

riko Member

No time line generally means never.

13. riko

riko Member

Yep he can afford to sit out a year for sure. It’s Tillman who can’t not afford to have his star attraction there

14. alexcapone

15. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Yeah that makes no sense to me. You choose to holdout you don’t get paid. Pretty simple.

GotGame15 and CCity Zero like this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, he could. In fact, if Harden really is refusing to show up for camp, the best thing for the league would be if they forced him to stay on the bench for 2 years as punishment before letting him walk in FA. The franchise is forced into a complete rebuild one way or the other so it wouldn't make THAT much of a difference.

The NBA is WAY overdue for reigning in their players, they need to start making examples of people if they want this kind of thing to stop.

GotGame15 and Kevooooo like this.
  17. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I would argue a year out for a running back helps them. You only get 5 or so good years out of a running back. A year off from the hits could do wonders for some guys, I bet. I don’t think the physical impact of the game is as draining in basketball and that year off may not necessarily help as much as it would hurt to lose rhythm.

18. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I'd just wait it out, I mean on one hand - the short return to season could be worth waiting for Harden to come back since he sometimes is definitely done/gassed by playoffs and he'll be back (also, if he was at a 1 year contract left I'd be more concerned to take the best offer sooner but at 2, whatever).

And on the other hand - Pulling an irrational trade just for the sake of doing it is not good + Wall/Cousins it'd be nice to see what they have left. And getting them going is worth it, imagine the media being wrong (are they ever that right on houston?) - and Wall/Cousins mesh quickly like at UK. Harden sure as hell would be back. Maybe it's a hope/Dream - but in Houston it literally takes that to win.

And Yeah, it's frustrating - but you can basically take the post from his mom 2 ways - Stone makes another impressive move - moving eg etc to get Harden on board to contend or... He really wants out. But filling in random noise is just nonsense.

Time is probably the best option. I'm not against Harden moving, he's given the team some incredible years and definitely some of his absolute best, but at the same time adding in a Harden type player later on - really doesn't matter - yes, he's that good.

The partying surely doesn't look great, but I wouldn't rush irrationally - without Harden you're looking at years of misery (and unless you're getting back an equal super star / lots of picks that are worth something) - and assuming wall/cousins are done... Does it really make a difference? I'd take the bet on harden and having even a small shot is worth it in the playoffs vs being 1st round fodder/no playoffs. I really couldn't care less if we waited into the season for him to come around, it's not going to matter. And some of the trash trade scenarios don't make sense.

+ I don't own the houston rockets - so maybe it forces tilman out sooner... Then again I don't know who'd be the next team owner... So yeah

#258 CCity Zero, Dec 7, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
    BigM and D-rock like this.
  19. Newlin

Newlin Member

Maybe he just wants to focus on his restaurant and the culinary arts.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I hope he's not throwing too much money into that restaurant, it probably won't make it a year unless he changes his tone quickly.

BigM and D-rock like this.