1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Put Yourself in Harden's Shoes, Would You Be Mad Too?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vator, Dec 7, 2020.

?

Does Harden Have a Right to be Mad?

1. Yes...Tilman is ruining this organization

27 vote(s)
    24.5%
  2. No...just play basketball

11 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. It doesn't matter what has happened, he should have reported to camp.

72 vote(s)
    65.5%
  1. vator

vator Contributing Member

Say what you want about bringing in Westbrook and that being Harden's idea and it ultimately being a failure, but look at the other thing that have happened. I have always felt that this was a likely possibility if we kept seeing management refusing to spend money on the roster. We've complained and complained about ownership, how cheap he is and missed opportunities and we only have a rooting interest in this, this is concerning this man's career. If we are pissed about Tilman, how do you think he must feel? What would you do? Just remain quiet and hope for the best, or leverage a better situation either here or somewhere else before it's too late. He had faith in MDA and Morey and Tilman ran them off. He is putting Tilman on notice and I don't blame him one bit. Maybe the bridge is already burned. We'll know soon enough.

1. Horrible owner who is unlikable
    2. Not only unlikable, but cheap. Trades are focused on ducking the tax instead of improving the team. Too many examples to name them all. If you want to compete with the Warriors and Lakers, you have to have the financial commitment to spend like them. We have had ZERO indication other than lip service that this organization is willing to do whatever it takes to win.
    3. Owner ran off the coach you like in MDA
    4. Owner ran off the GM that you like in Morey
    5. Do we really know that James wanted Westbrook traded?

BallaDoc and D-rock like this.
  2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I don't blame him...at all...for hating this owner.

But the Russel Westbrook move is never made if Harden didn't put it out there to begin with. As f**king stupid as this owner is, Harden no doubt had veto power on that trade, and that trade is what put us in this s**t situation. Morey still had options to keep improving.

If not for the Westbrook mess I would be fully sympathetic to Harden right now.

mikol13, HP3, DaDakota and 3 others like this.
  3. vator

So far the crowd that he should just do what he's told is winning. I understand. I also understand that guys like KG and Anthony Davis wouldn't have a ring right now if they stayed with organizations not dedicated to winning. I'm upset and I don't want Harden to go, but I understand. I wouldn't want to work for Tilman either. Morey, MDA, and Westbrook also made the same decision over the past few months. That guy is toxic. That is where the majority of my anger is being directed right now.

lakersuck2, FrontRunner and D-rock like this.
  4. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

This is what happens when you have an overpaid ball dribbler that thinks he can own the city. Many people would be fired if they dont perform or do what they need to do at their work place.

5. riko

riko Member

There are far better ways of handling the situation by partying the nights away even if you have a valid reason for wanting out.

You still have a job and responsibilities. Don’t show up to training camp, but don’t make a spectacle of the situation like he is currently doing.

Tfor3, jim1961 and Duke Fan like this.
  6. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

James Harden has a right to be frustrated about the first four items you mentioned. However, he is under contract for two more seasons, counting this one, and he needs to suck it up and handle himself like a professional.

I’m tired of all these excuses being made for superstar athletes that sign mega contracts and later decide they believe they have earned the right to hold their organization hostage because they are unhappy with current developments. It was bullshit when Kawhi Leonard did it to the Spurs, and Anthony Davis did it to the Pelicans. Now, Harden is doing it to the Rockets.

It’s gotten to the point that the NBA needs to establish rules and punishments to stop players from doing this.

7. crimmy88

crimmy88 Member

Harden placed the rockets in this conundrum and wants to take no responsibility in it. I love him but **** his lack of accountability.

beardsanity713 and Dacamel like this.
  8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

If I was in his shoes, does it come with the salary?

I think I would literally suck Greg Oden's dick for that salary so yes I would put up I think and show up to work on time like my peers especially when I'm getting paid far more than my peers.

Duke Fan, Dacamel and Jayzers_100 like this.
  9. Vivi

Vivi Member

The only thing i know is if i was Harden i wouldn't have let CP3 get traded with multiple picks for Westbrook, let's put it this way...

mikol13 and D-rock like this.
  10. vator

But if you work in a toxic working environment and your boss is a jerk that has run off the people you work with that you respect the most and have the most loyalty to, don't you start looking for another place to work? Just saying...

D-rock likes this.
  11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Harden started running off people when he clashed with CP3 because CP3 wanted him to move more off the ball. It all went downhill after Harden said in his post game press conference "I know exactly what we need to do.".

12. DVauthrin

It’s not about doing what he’s told. It’s about honoring the contract he willingly signed two years ago. James Harden has a guaranteed contract that pays him more than $80 million over this season and next. When he becomes a free agent, he can dictate where he finishes his career, but, right now, he should be committed to giving his all for the Rockets, unless he wants to lose his game check for every game he misses. If the NBA wants to fix this trend, they need to either eliminate guaranteed contracts, or put in rules and punishments that deter the behavior. Since all contracts are currently guaranteed in the NBA, a player can hold his team hostage by intentionally missing games and still get his usual game check.

13. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

I think it's quite simple - don't show up to work, don't get paid. For everyday you don't show up, you get docked whatever your daily contract amount is.

In Harden's case, that would be $112K/day missed. Superstars won't learn until it hurts their pockets.

18pbr and DVauthrin like this.
  14. vator

He's not perfect. He has maturity issues. CP3 has also never made it past the 2nd round of the playoffs without James.

Patience likes this.
  15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Harden’s best team was the one constructed with Chris Paul and that was under Les. Les left right after signing CP3 but that team not winning it was not on Tilman

Crashlanded19 and Dacamel like this.
  16. DVauthrin

I completely agree with this idea.

18pbr and waytookrzy079 like this.
  17. vator

Since he signed that contract the owner ran off his coach and his GM. Two guys that he thought very highly of and had faith in.

BallaDoc and D-rock like this.
  18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I don't remember him ever demanding to leave.

19. riko

riko Member

Well in the army if you don’t show up for work without a legit medical reason you would be hauled straight into to a solitary military prison cell. It’s that simple.

waytookrzy079 likes this.
  20. DVauthrin

In the American “at will” working environment where companies can terminate a person’s employment for any reason, at a moment’s notice, sure.

However, that’s not the way the NBA works. All contracts are guaranteed, so you get paid your remaining salary even if the team waives you. I have no problem if Harden wants to forego the remaining $80 million he has on his contract to leave the Rockets, but he shouldn’t get to have his cake and eat it, too. That means he shouldn’t get to sit out games intentionally and still collect his game checks until the Rockets trade him to his preferred destination.