1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Update: WSJ: Everyone's moving to Texas: Cali to Texas , U Haul champs back to back

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tinman, Dec 4, 2020.

?

Why Cali folk moving down to the Lone Star state?

1. Taxes

23 vote(s)
    51.1%
  2. business friendly

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Politics

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  4. Can't get a table at French Laundry while Newson and the SF mayor can

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  5. virus lockdown

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  6. their favorite basketball team, the Houston Rockets and Clutchfans are there

9 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It's not rocket science.

People mostly leave because of taxes and crazy housing costs that jack up cost of living. I'm sure some don't like the culture either.

Which is fine. If I bought a house 20 years ago and cashed out with double plus equity, then moving out to Conroe ain't a bad idea

Ofc if it's really "a failed bankrupt state with people leaving in droves" like the Con narrative has been repeated for decades, housing affordability wouldn't still be in a shitty situation like it it's now.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  2. IVFL

IVFL Member

Okay, a mass exodus from California is causing a net growth rate of almost 7 percent in the last decade. Let’s just talk the last year. California grew by almost 1%. It’s on the brink of 40 million people. I think their 1% growth rate in a year nets a few more people than Idaho’s 4% growth rate.
    https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/fastest-growing-states
    You do realize most people can run a search engine right? These numbers you speak of don’t hold water. Lots of states have lost population this year. Everyone isn’t growing.

1 in 8 people who live in the United States live in California. Of course people fom California are going to make up a large percentage of move ins. I would guess about 12%. Yes people are moving out of California, about 200,000 more than moved in domestically last year. Although they did have 70k people move in internationally, just last year. So a net migration of 130k for a state with 40 million people, MASS EXODUS!!!!! Oh no. 0.32% of the population moved out. If California stops growing they will be all out of people in……307 years.

I get it though, you don’t want people moving to your state that are going to bring it down. I am starting to come around to this line of thinking.

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

It's so much easier to trash red states with actual data rather than shitty meme nareatives. Right @tallanvor ?

We can just look at things like infant morality rates, rates of high school graduation, percentage of residents with healthcare. Don't need memes for that.

Dubious likes this.
  4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Idaho? The state has 1.78 million residents. If a few thousand people move to the Idaho, it has an outsize impact on the percentage of growth. Texas is another story entirely. I’ll add that Idaho is also 93% White, which sounds pretty boring to me. The diversity of a city like Houston is one of the great things about it. Something Austin could use a little more of, in my opinion. The way Austin is growing, it’s getting there.

tinman and FranchiseBlade like this.
  5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Howdy Elon
    Welcome to Texas !

6. Major

Major Member

ElPigto and fchowd0311 like this.
  7. Invisible Fan

tinman likes this.
  8. tinman

Supporting Member

9. tinman

Supporting Member

Clutchfans is where people in New Hampshire tell Life long Austin folk that those California plates in East and south Austin in front of those new homes aren’t real

Xerobull likes this.
  10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

As someone who moved from Houston to Austin in 1980 and not to go to UT, but because I'd wanted to live in Austin for about 15 years, I can tell you in all honesty that there are times I look around parts of Austin and wonder where Austin went. It's especially difficult for those of us who were coming up here from Houston since the mid-'60's. Just a vastly different scene then that largely continued well into the 1970's.

In 1980, things changing here had just started to really pick up speed. The city was battling growth tooth and nail, but members of the Lege from places like Amarillo would get paid one way or another by developers to pass legislation that allowed growth in west and southwest Austin, but worded so that it didn't apply to any place else. The city would look much different today, in my opinion, had that not happened. There would be a fraction of the subdivisions in the fragile part of the Hill Country that you see all over the place today. Such is life, @tinman.

Astrodome, Invisible Fan and rockbox like this.
  11. tinman

Supporting Member

You start eating at In and Out burger and shopping at the Trader Joe’s on Westlake ?

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Nope. I looked into Trader Joe’s to check it out, but can’t say I’ve really shopped there yet. I’m not opposed to it, but there’s a small Whole Foods out my way at Arbor Trails and a huge Central Market at Westgate that’s quite a bit closer. Not to mention the HEB “superstore” at Escarpment and Slaughter about 10 minutes from our house. In and Out Burger? I keep meaning to try the place and have yet to manage it, although there’s one on South Lamar. The closest I’ve gotten to one is The Big Lebowski. ;-)

14. tinman

Supporting Member

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

16. Invisible Fan

TJ is less foofoo than WF. If you frequent at the other two chains, there will be at least a couple products you'll initially "discover" and rave about.

Comparable to Central Market, but they try harder to develop their own personality.

Though it's likely packed despite covid restrictions. Visit when vaccinated

tinman likes this.
  17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

What is up with Brogan's hand ... blood thinner?

18. tinman

Supporting Member

Living in LA for too long

19. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Arrgggg where are the masks at? Never mind...at least we know where those missing Covid vaccines went.

20. tinman

Supporting Member

The Asian dude felt safe because he’s surrounded by billions of dollars
    Non Texans are jealous cause rich celebrities can actually hangout together like rich celebrities

They don’t want to hang out in whack states like Delaware or New Hampshire
    Like some amish car show