1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Update: WSJ: Everyone's moving to Texas: Cali to Texas , U Haul champs back to back

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tinman, Dec 4, 2020.

?

Why Cali folk moving down to the Lone Star state?

1. Taxes

23 vote(s)
    51.1%
  2. business friendly

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Politics

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  4. Can't get a table at French Laundry while Newson and the SF mayor can

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  5. virus lockdown

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  6. their favorite basketball team, the Houston Rockets and Clutchfans are there

9 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Reeko

Reeko Member

praise be to Tesla stock that has been absolutely killing it this year

I laughed at all the articles saying people need to sell when the stock plummeted a while back

2. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

lived in LA for past 3 yrs. As soon as corona hit and employer said 'go work from anywhere', I moved to Boise. I went to LA with an open mind but hated it. no yards; homelessness and trash everywhere; driving anywhere is a chore because of how over populated it is. Its pretty much impossible to have nice parks in LA simply because it would become over crowded and the homeless would take over. All this while paying out the ass in not just taxes but cost of living too. I don't mind paying high taxes if I can see something for it (maintained sidewalks, roads, and parks). I can't imagine why anyone raises a kid in LA.

positives of LA:

- variety of terrain. I could go skiing and hang out on the beach in a single day and have great weather for both.
    - variety of neighborhoods - no two suburbs where alike. lots of variety.

nobody hates Californians. They just don't want Californians bringing California's failed policies to their state. By all means leave California and go wherever, but recognize why you are leaving. People have a similar response to China and other foreign countries.

3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If only enough people would move to Texas to alleviate some traffic. But it just keeps getting more and more crowded. I know several people who have left because of the cost of living, but I guess more keep coming than are leaving.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Austin is doomed!

;-)

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Gonna turn us BLUE baby!

DD

Dubious likes this.
  6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They need to stop letting in people who drive priuses
    Tesla cars are ok

7. dmoneybangbang

Living in Austin for the past 6 years, it's not too hard to see why "progressive policies" follow in places like LA, Bay Area, and Seattle. You get a bunch of affluence relatively quickly in area with sought after topography. Feels like 300K can get you into some nice middle class neighborhoods in Houston but you need 400K in Austin.

Deckard likes this.
  8. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

You forgot endless p***y in the pros

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  9. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

It’s all these ****ing kale eating snobby tech bros. They’ve ruined what Austin is about and worst of all the city is turning into a sausage fest. Single chicks loving it doe

#69 LosPollosHermanos, Dec 6, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
    FranchiseBlade likes this.
  10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

What is "failed" about Cali compared to Texas? Do we want to post quality of life metrics and do comparisons for each state. Do you want to go there? Do you want to see which state contributed more to federal tax revenue and which state takes more?

11. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

Lol there’s plenty of nice parks in LA

12. tallanvor

Well the basic test would be where people want to live. People vote with their feet and therefore texas wins. California is dead last in net domestic migration. Texas is 2nd behind Florida.

Arguing California is equal to Texas ignores the obvious mass exodus from California and people going into Texas. Why do you think people have started doing this.

#72 tallanvor, Dec 6, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
  13. tallanvor

There are some nice state parks if thats what u mean (I've hiked them all). There are no nice local neighborhood parks to take ur kids.

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Cali has maintained its economic standing with the rest of the world while red states continue to deeply resent its wealth.

Wanting it to fail is different than calling it a failure but let’s remove educational books and take more hunches, like the Conservative laggard c*m utopia that is Kansas.

I’m not a fan of LA either, but it’s not it’s local parks. The better the parks I’ve been to, the more uhh exclusive the people have been....

15. tallanvor

Californians aren't leaving California in droves because of 'resentment of the state's wealth'.

Everyone i see defending California is failing to explain why everyone is leaving.

16. IVFL

IVFL Member

6% growth rate the last decade would say otherwise.

You know that state you moved to. California grew more in the last 10 years than its total population.

So what is there to defend, California is still growing. People are still moving there.

Deckard likes this.
  17. tallanvor

Population of every state and pretty much every country is growing. Populations always go up. People have kids.

The state i moved to (Idaho) has the highest population growth rate in the country. Cali is like 25th.

Unless you are arguing the domestic migration numbers are wrong, then people are leaving California and you aren't explaining why. This argument that there isn't a massive exodus from Cali seems weird. Its been that way for awhile. Google 'California exodus' and read thousands of articles on it.

18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

If California was so wonderful they wouldn't be leaving for greener pastures.

19. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

@tinman...

You forgot an option... Job Relocation..

T_Man

20. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

Between Santa Monica, Culver City, Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, and over 400 parks in the City Of Los Angeles, There plenty of options to enjoy a community centered, well kept park without worrying that they will be overrun by homeless. And not just State Parks which are indeed the cream of the crop. Griffith Park is a massive city park that has dozens of playgrounds alone. That’s just lazy to assume otherwise with such broad strokes

And I would say the same with public schools, you just have to know how to find the good ones in your area