1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Source close to Westbrook believe he was made out to be a scapegoat for Houston's playoff meltdown

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by James.B.H, Dec 4, 2020.

1. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Ben Simmons and Westbrick both cannot shoot threes.

Fine.

The difference is that one realizes it's a weakness and therefore only attempts 0.1 per game, the other one attempts 4-5 per game, no matter how much it hurts the team.

Complete and utter lack of self-awareness and extreme selfishness.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The bolded is what makes Westbrook absolute trash instead of just a kind of bad player.

3. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

He made himself the scapegoat.

Nook likes this.
  4. icewill36

icewill36 Member

furthermore I think this incident is one of the reasons Russ as complained about lack of accountability as a reason he wanted to be traded. I bet he feels this would not have happened if from the top down we weren’t so lax about everything. That has been going on for years here. PJ has talked about how we don’t get up for games against the lottery teams. No way house tries to pull that if he was on the lakers.

5. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

It’s hard to remember if this was this last season or the one before, but harden absolutely went through his worst stretch by any means for like 20 something games. Broadcasters acknowledged it every game.

6. HP3

HP3 Member

Im talking about in the playoffs and also during his bad stretch, we were still better with Harden on the court than Westbrook.

Reeko and D-rock like this.
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The difference of course is that Harden can have a slump in a stellar season, Westbrook is the kind of player that might have a brief stretch of play where he's not a net negative in an absolutely terrible season.

I get on Harden as much as anyone when he slumps, but since he bounces back from them, I excuse them. It's the same reason why I discount a random handful of halfway competent games by Westbrook....it's only a matter of time till he goes back to being himself.

Kevooooo likes this.
  8. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Harden has gotten lots of blame through the years. What are you talking about? The national media narrative is that Harden is a "playoff choker" and that Westbrook "plays with heart."

Both stats and results show that these narratives are simplistic and stupid. Harden consistently leads lesser supporting casts to high win totals and strong playoff showings, while Westbrook's teams usually win fewer than 50 games and lose in the first round.

BamBam, slothy420, Reeko and 2 others like this.
  9. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Well, he was paid $38 million to put up 20 points and 5 assists on awful 42/26/57 splits in that series with poor defense. He sure as hell wasn't the only problem but if he doesn't want blame maybe he should play like a $38 million player.

D-rock likes this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

Really?

Harden was a + 9 in game 7....... had the game saving block and in the series had an O rating over 120.

Come on now.........

Richie_Rich, BigMaloe, Reeko and 5 others like this.
  11. dmoneybangbang

Yep an undrafted rookie.... who had CP3 whispering in his ear about how predictable Harden was going to be.

Where else were the points going to come from? What would the narrative have been if Dort hit that 3 pointer instead of getting it blocked in game 7? We were inches away from a completely different timeline.

They took it to game 7 and we won by 2 due to an incredible Harden block. The CP3 led OKC was very close to a Harden led Rockets upset. Maybe you should go check out the threads leading up to game 7.....

12. dmoneybangbang

Vile? LOL..... it's just basketball. It's vile because I want accountability from Harden?

13. dmoneybangbang

Yes really. Completely different story if Dort hits that shot in game 7. Then all we would have been talking about was a collapse and Dort outscoring and out playing Harden in game 7.

Did you predict the series would go to 7?

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Because you witch hunt and repeat half truths trying to speak your narrative into existence with sheep fans.

Reeko and HP3 like this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

And "if" your aunt had balls she'd be your uncle.

Why do you love spouting negative alternate realities so much?

Richie_Rich, DeadGato, Reeko and 3 others like this.
  16. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I completely agree.

17. MystikArkitect

You cannot succeed in this league if you can't hit 3s.

Period. Even if you're tall.

HardenVolumeOne likes this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

So all you are offering is conspiracy theories and "what if's" to back up your preposterous agenda?

Richie_Rich, Reeko and HP3 like this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

I don't know, did I? Go look....

I can tell you that I said it would be a lot tougher than some think.

D-rock likes this.
  20. icewill36

icewill36 Member

he literally has never had as much room to operate as he did last year because OKC never put any shooting around him. That said we all know Russ is not a natural PG. he grew into the role after playing off guard in college. He doesn’t have the same ball control as other natural PGs. It takes him longer to get into rhythm than others which is why it IS significant he had no time to get into a flow before the lakers. If COVID never happened do you honestly believe WB would have looked like he did ? He was playing his best ball since his MVP season.

this is all really irrelevant because we did not have enough size, depth, and talent to beat the lakers.