1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I'd be interested in Mazara with our obvious OF needs. He'll only be 26 next year and has been historically decent. If you can get him at the right price, I think he'd be worth the gamble.

The Beard likes this.
  2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Guys I would be interested in that were non tendered:

OF: Schwarber, Dahl, Almora, Duvall, Franco, Mazara, Rosario, Santana, Shaw, Goodwin, Starling, Martinez

P: Rodon, Bradley, Urena, Middleton, Stanek, Wisler, Griffin

If we expect Houston to add 6 players between now and 3/1, we should see an average of 1 move every 2 weeks between now and then.

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Lots of guys I'd definitely be happy to add.

4. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

I forget, is Tucker a viable CF option? I am sure he is not the best or preferred option defensively at CF, but could he handle himself respectfully? This would allow us to add more offensively-oriented corner outfield bats. Would a bad OF defense even be worth that trade-off?

For example, could a Schwarber / Tucker / Dahl OF work?

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

A lot high fastballs from JV.

everyday eddie and Nook like this.
  6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

He probably can play a decent center. Expect some runners to be able to advance, but he covers a lot of ground to keep runners from getting on base.

Nippystix likes this.
  7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Tucker can play CF in an emergency but I do not think he’s a viable everyday CF. If they had two other corner guys who had plus range I could see it, with Straw coming in to play CF when they have a lead in the later innings. I would not want to see a Dahl/Tucker/Schwarber OF but only because Schwarber is slow. Dahl, Tucker, and another guy who can cover ground in a corner would probably be ok. Dahl is probably a better CF fit than Tucker (Fangraphs had projected Dahl as the Rockies everyday CF before he was non tendered).

Nippystix likes this.
  8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I've not seen Dahl uncork one. Tucker covers more ground....though I'd characterize more as good for a corner than desirable in CF. If they were in the same OF with a offense only OF, Tucker would be in center most likely.

9. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Sign Dahl and Rosario and add Profar at the 4 guy injury back up you would have a decent OF

10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

For the amount of the QO they offered Springer, they could probably get all 3 of Dahl, Rosario, and Pillar. Those 3 with Tucker would be a fine group.

3B Bregman
    2B Altuve
    DH Alvarez
    SS Correa
    RF Tucker
    1B Gurriel
    LF Rosario
    CF Dahl/Pillar/Straw
    C Maldonado/Castro
    UT Diaz

11. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

I still like Bradley Jr. and Brantley more than the non-tenders. Could probably get a top FA closer and Bradley Jr. for the amount of what woulda been Springer’s QO for 2021.

I think four moves are certain. CF, RF/LF, Closer, back up catcher.Adding two relievers or another starter is nice but not a necessity with the depth they have.

IowaAstro likes this.
  12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'd put Rosario at a smidge below Brantley's level. Rosario is less bad defensively and less good offensively. Basically, I would like 2 of JBJ, Profar, Brantley, and Rosario.

I think Astros will get a closer quality reliever. Though, I think Pressly has a shiv if this reliever tries to close.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

14. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Smells like a leak by an agent trying to get more money from the Astros or whomever Brantley is in talks with. He makes no sense for the Yankees.

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Brantley would kill in Yankee Stadium. People talk about cheap shots in the Crawford Boxes, but Yankee Stadium's RF is worse as it doesn't have a big wall.

16. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

They would need to make a trade. Frazier is in LF, Judges is in RF, and according to their GM Stanton is the full time DH.

17. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I mean Berkman played out there so....

18. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

This off-season is gonna drag on because many teams will have the same mindset

but with so many players available, we likely try to wait it out on OFs, try to get the best bargain we can, and parlay the saved money to try and sign Correa long term.

Joe Joe and raining threes like this.
  19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Down goes Frazier.

chievous minniefield and awc713 like this.
  20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

There is a reason why WAR models have his best seasons when he was at 1B even though he hit better as an OF.

The Beard likes this.