1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] [Shams] Rockets trade Westbrook for Wall

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Dec 2, 2020.

1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

If he is in such a state of decline why was he worth 5 FRP just a year ago? You are talking about a decline from 5 FRP to 1 FRP in just 1 year. That means his stock hit rock bottom if he had a good season of play then his stock will rise up.

Case in point is Chris Paul. Dude was so bad in the playoffs the Rockets had to give up picks to get rid of him. A year of good performance later OKC got assets in return for giving him away. The value changes depending on how well a player plays, in this case WB's value has already hit rock bottom the worst case is you still trade him mid season for 1 FRP. If he plays great then you can get 2 or more FRP back. There's no point in pulling the trigger now Harden has 2 more seasons left to sign that extension they didn't have to trade WB before the season started. We dont even know if Harden will sign the extension now that WB is gone or if Fertitty wants Harden back cuz then he'll have to pay Cousins, Harden and Wall major money next year.

#1022 roslolian, Dec 3, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
  3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

OK, GUY!!! GO!!!!!

KingCheetah likes this.
  4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So you think he wanted to have that crappy trade as his legacy?

You are being ridiculous and several posters have pointed it out.

DaDakota likes this.
  5. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think it was as bad as you think. He did get protections on the picks so they could become nothing. The Rockets just need to commit to a rebuild before the 2024 season.

6. bro2044

bro2044 Member

I voted Yes to the poll, and although its not an easy Yes, its still a Y nonetheless.

Do I like the contract? No
    Am I a fan of Wall? No, not really.
    Do I think Westbrook is IMMENSELY more talented than Wall? No, actually. WB was an MVP, but I honestly think JH deserved it that year. WB is better than Wall, but I do not think its by leaps and bounds, and that mainly has to do with Russ' decision-making, turnovers, missing layups, horrible outside shooting, and not really playing all that well next to JH.

Wall, while not an MVP-level player, and has his own boneheadedness that we'd deal with, will be joining a more dominant guard. Wall is a better defender, better length, a slightly better shooter, and honestly somehow I trust his judgment SLIGHTLY more than WB after watching Russ play here for a season.

Is this an all-out win? No, especially since we got rid of Paul and picks for WB, and now we get Wall and a protected first-rounder.... but is it better for chemistry? Probably. Will Wall defer to Harden? Maybe not fully, but moreso than Russ.

A lot depends on health, but I am glad Russ is gone personally. I wanted him to work put and rooted for him, but let's be real he played great for like 2 months this year, and we weren't necessarily dominant when he was doing so.

Russ wanted out too, and he wasn't our best player.

I'll root for Wall, but I ain't buying his jersey ;)

#1026 bro2044, Dec 3, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    jiggyfly and Patience like this.
  7. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I don't know what to tell you, man. Westbrook wanted out and keeping a malcontent was counterproductive to keeping James Harden. You get that, right? It's not like this was ever about maximizing the value of Westbrook. With Harden they have a chance.

Patience and bro2044 like this.
  8. Krizzle

Krizzle Member

kinda bummed, really wanted them to try it again with the new staff I really think they can work in the right system, (Mikes wasn't it).

this trade just tells me Harden wont be here after this year may even leave before the deadline.

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

That's not what you said, right? You said "Nobody. Wanted. Westbrook." which is nowhere near what you are saying now.

Harden has 2 more seasons with the Rockets if all it takes to keep him is getting rid of WB what's the difference between getting rid of him prior to the season and waiting till mdi season? If getting rid of WB is all it takes then if you keep WB till midseason Harden signs that extension at midseason, big whoop. If it'll take more than WB leaving to keep Harden then why'd you pull the gun on WB trade now? You can address Harden's other concerns and then trade WB midseason when it's the only thing that's gonna keep him from signing that extension.

Harden hasn't signed that extension yet so nothing really changed except now they sold low for WB after buying high for him. Maximizing the value of WB has no impact on whether Harden stays or goes. According to him it's all about the competitiveness of the Rockets and if you ask me for the first half of the season a fully healthy even if disgruntled WestBrook is gonna perform better than Wall who is coming off a torn achilles. People don't come back from torn achilles playing the best bball of their career, as we've seen with Cousins it's the opposite they play like ****.

10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

@BMoney is saying something else, yes, and the two things are actually consistent. Westbrook can want out, for one, and only a team with an even-worse contract on their books might want him, for another. I don't see a problem with the two statements existing side-by-side.

jiggyfly likes this.
  11. roslolian

roslolian Member

You are right but I was replying to his original statement when he brought up a separate point. It's not consistent cuz he said nobody wanted WB but then now he said it was never about maximzing WB's value. If it was never about WB's value then whyd he even bring it up in the first place?

The other statement was addressed in the rest of my post.

B-Bob likes this.
  12. riko

riko Member

The man was a detriment and a net negative on the floor. No other way to spin it.Good luck in Washington. Nice guy and probably a good teammate but a total tree stump

BMoney, Patience and sirjesse like this.
  13. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

After sleeping on it... and despite realizing how bad the WB/Harden fit is... this was a terrible trade.

A good move would've been trading Westbrook to the Knicks or Magic or CHA for expirings and cap relief. Which was reportedly what was offered, but Rockets wanted pick(s) and/or young players.

Dumping Westbrook for nothing but expirings IMO is FAR better than taking on Wall for a heavily protected 1st.

Wall = a worst, more injury prone, equally expensive and ill fitting Westbrook.

Trading for Wall didn't alleviate any of the problems Westbrook presented, it only presented MORE problems

There are videos of Wall partying and throwing up gang signs with alleged gang members not too long ago.

It isnt an isolated incident.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/14/us/w...n-wall-gang-signs-apology-spt-trnd/index.html

HP3 likes this.
  14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I don't understand why people keep saying this?

WB wanted out, if Harden really wants out no trade can him not want to stay.

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

so when westbrick referenced the rolling 60's in cali on tv after his game, that's all good huh

don grahamleone likes this.
  16. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

why would that be all good?

trading one idiot for another = equally bad

You don't solve a problem by taking on a bigger problem.

D-rock likes this.
  17. YOLO

YOLO Member

the problem of westbrick no longer being here solves a huge problem. next

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Why should we care about him throwing up gang signs?

Has Wall ever been suspended or in trouble?

don grahamleone and YOLO like this.
  19. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Westbrook was a huge mistake for the rockets - Didn't like the trade before, during or after.

Doesn't change the fact that as bad as Westbrook is... Wall is essentially a worst version of him. Nothing changes if you exchange one ugly turd for an even uglier turd.

D-rock likes this.
  20. YOLO

YOLO Member

harden and co should be banned from the nba for hanging out with gang members