1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Poll] Do you like the John Wall Trade?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jaychi, Dec 2, 2020.

?

Do you like the John Wall Trade?

1. yes

207 vote(s)
    37.7%
  2. no

125 vote(s)
    22.8%
  3. wait and see

217 vote(s)
    39.5%
  1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Then why sign cousins? Rockets didn't make this trade to dump salary or get insurance. The did it probably because they felt they had no choice. Russ didn't show up to training camp and they flinched and pulled the trigger, playing right into his hands.

Sans Achilles I would be ok with this trade, but given the history of athletes with this type of injury, I don't get it.

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

[​IMG]

3. Reeko

Reeko Member

the Rockets have a history of trading a player when their value is at its lowest

they did it with Chris Paul...they did it with Russ...Will they do it with Harden?

if things aren’t looking too good a month into the season, they need to start aggressively pursuing trade offers for Harden...if they wait until next offseason, Harden’s leverage will increase dramatically and his value will really decrease

These offseason additions are not making this team a contender. Harden already turned down an extension, and being some average playoff team in the West will only make it even more apparent to Harden that he needs to leave if he wants a shot at winning a ring.

jerryclark and daywalker02 like this.
  4. razorback88s

razorback88s Member

Deuce, Blatz and treyk3 like this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I wouldn't count out mixed messaging from Harden.

One time he wants out, another time he is willing to give it a shot, Stone is biting on it more than I would have liked it.

This last effort doesn't make any sense IMO.

Wall at best gives 20 ppg.

In comparison, Kelly Oubre scores 19 and doesn't need the ball in his hands as much.
    Earns 14.4 million.

#165 daywalker02, Dec 3, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
  6. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

This is a massive win. Westbrook sucks. Holding onto him, even if he was happy, would eventually lead to Harden leaving anyway so he had to be traded for anything. Being unhappy and not showing up for camp just pushes that point further. Now if Wall is healthy he'll be better that Russ. If he's not then Harden leaves which was the same as what would've happened with Russ anyway.

Now the most important part:

If Harden leaves we have to rebuild. Give up any hopes of a quick turnaround. ANY REBUILD WHERE TILLMAN IS STILL THE OWNER AFTERWARDS IS POINTLESS. With Tillman but not Harden, we won't be able to sign any free agents and any big players that come here will want to leave immediately. Having a dead Wall under contract for years might just push the dispair meter high enough for Tillman to sell. Mediocrity is the ultimate enemy. If we're gonna suck, we need to suuuuck. This is a massive massive win.

7. abaker28

abaker28 Member

On the plus side, Morey had for years been trying to put together a big 3.
    But only months now into Stone's tenure, he's been able to achieve what Morey couldn't.

8. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not convinced Wall can play at a high level anymore, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

If he can't, then we won't be competitive this year.

9. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Are there any other wildcats out there with torn achilles' we can go after?

10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

We don't know for certain that the Cousins signing had anything to do with this , it could be pure coincidence. The team needed a big that can shoot from outside , rebound and defend the paint .... That's what they get with a healthy Cousins.

Russ not showing up for camp put them behind the 8 ball for sure .... We don't know if there were any other offers either. They may be sold that Wall is healthy and he was the best player they thought they could get in return.

But the financial benefits are there if Wall can't play , it could be a salary dump in the end. It reduced the financial risk factor .... even if it doesn't help in terms of talent.

11. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Disaster.

I can’t believe grown men with high levels of education working for billion dollar organizations execute a trade like this. A 2023 lottery protected first round pick. Wow. I can’t get over this.

ashleyem likes this.
  12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

who are they again?

13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Certainly a valid point, but I will say...Wall has been out for 2 whole years now. Most guys who tear their Achilles are trying to come back by next season. Hopefully the extra rehab time will be more beneficial for him.

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Feb of 2019 was his injury? So not 2 full years. Anyway no player ever got back to their peak from these injuries except for the human highlight reel.

And if the dude can injure his achilles from slipping at home, who knows what his next injury will be.

15. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Did they really though?

Statistically Westbrook had an awesome season last year. Is there really any reason to think that an ageing, overpaid, disgruntled Westbrook's trade value was likely to improve any time soon?

SamFisher likes this.
  16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I mean...essentially two years. I'm not saying he will be the John Wall of old, but I do think there's a good chance he can remain a very effective player who fits better with the team, is a better playmaker, and clearly a higher IQ player.

We'll see. I just like getting rid of a clearly toxic player in Westbrook.

17. Houston288South

Wizard fans seem to be more disappointed that they lost him.

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I've had a night to calm down and think it over, and I'm slowly coming around on it.

This is an odd trio, but it could actually work. Their skill sets are complimentary, but Wall is the key.

If he's healthy and can 3, D, and RE we will stomp fools. If he's out of shape and wants to be ball dominant we will flop. Simple as that.

19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

his last game was Dec 2018 I believe

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Exactly. He didn't report to camp. It wasn't going up. The problem was overpaying for Westbrook in teh first place.

DonnyMost likes this.