1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] [Shams] Rockets trade Westbrook for Wall

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Dec 2, 2020.

1. icewill36

icewill36 Member

stop quoting me you're dense AF. there was no adjustment to make because we had midgets trying to guard the most imposing front line in the league. the lakers were not a good outside shooting team so we tried to force them to shoot. guess what they made them. then they still dominated inside because we had no size and got killed on the glass. there is nothing this roster could have done to beat them. you are Homer and complete moron if you don't think so. the kicked our ass just like they kicked everyone's ass. they were going to be a 65+ win team. they dominated all year.

jiggyfly likes this.
  2. plates300

plates300 Member

We all know the Westbrook/harden combo wasn’t going to put the rockets over the top. Nobody wanted Westbrook. Might as well try and see what Wall can do even if he is coming off a major injury. Let’s play it out and see what happens.

Patience and seemoreroyals like this.
  3. Chamillionaire

#923 Chamillionaire, Dec 3, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    Patience and Parley like this.
  4. kentuckyalum

kentuckyalum Member

I feel like we're forgetting that Harden turned down a massive extension to stay here. He will be traded this season.

5. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Players have demanded to be traded in the past only to not be traded. Sometimes the results turn out to be okay. I can think of Hakeem and Kobe making trade requests and staying with the team. I'm sure there others, just identifying the obvious ones. It would be different if Harden's deal was expiring this year, then at that point we really have no leverage and are risking losing him for nothing.

clutchdabear likes this.
  6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Look Tilman demanded Morey get Westbrook yes.

Morey constructed a very bad trade to get Westbrook

Morey's trade to get Westbrook was poor that wasn't Tilman's Fault that was Morey failure.

Just because Tilman demanded something doesn't absolve Morey from making a bad trade

If Presti says he wants 4 picks AND CP3 you dont say yes to that. That sounds like the start of a negotiation.

7. white_dragon

white_dragon Member

The deal

Rockets get: John Wall, protected 2023 first-round pick

Wizards get: Russell Westbrook

Houston Rockets: C+
    [​IMG]
    A Westbrook-for-Wall swap was always the most obvious solution for the Rockets to Westbrook's desire for a trade. Almost any other team would surely have demanded draft picks in return to take on the remaining three years and $133 million on Westbrook's contract, and those remain in short supply in Houston because of the multiple picks and swaps given out to acquire Westbrook last summer.

In this construction, taking back Wall's similar contract allows the Rockets to actually add a first-round pick rather than sending one out. That pick is acknowledgement that Westbrook's value remains higher at the moment. He was, after all, an All-NBA third-team pick last season thanks to the most efficient sustained stretch of basketball of his career when Houston began playing without a center.

Wall, by contrast, is a major question coming off surgery to repair an Achilles tendon rupture. By opening night, it will have been nearly two full years since Wall most recently took the court in a competitive game, on Dec. 26, 2018 -- back when the Rockets still had Chris Paul as their All-Star point guard.

Even before undergoing surgery, Wall wasn't the same player after leading the Wizards to within a game of the conference finals in 2017. He managed only 73 combined games his last two seasons in Washington, producing at a sub-All-Star level when he was on the court.

The optimistic view is that Wall was far less than 100 percent then as he dealt with bone spurs in his left heel that dug into his Achilles and required surgery. The pessimistic view is that the condition of his Achilles worsened in a subsequent fall in his home that resulted in a rupture of the tendon and required a second surgery that cost him the entire 2019-20 season. And realistically, Wall is now 30 and has a game that -- much like the older Westbrook -- has always relied heavily on his athleticism.

It's impossible to gauge exactly where Wall is after his extended rehab, but it's unlikely he's still an All-Star point guard. It's possible that he'll come back scarcely capable of starting, much like we saw with the All-Star point guard who knocked Wall and the Wizards out of the 2017 playoffs, Isaiah Thomas. If so, Houston would have to eat a huge amount of salary to walk away with a first-round pick.

In the scenario where Wall is at least 85 percent of his pre-surgery self, there's still the question of how well he fits alongside James Harden. As well as both Harden and Westbrook played for long stretches last season, the Rockets never really managed to get both guards going at the same time.

Harden played at an MVP level while Westbrook struggled early in the season, then took a back seat when Westbrook shined after the move to small ball. In the playoffs, with Westbrook slowed by a quadriceps strain and coming back from experiencing COVID-19, Harden was more of a one-man show.

Much like Westbrook, Wall has spent his NBA career with the ball in his hands. In fact, before his injury in 2018-19, the only player with higher time of possession in the league was ... Harden (via Second Spectrum tracking data on NBA Advanced Stats). And much like Westbrook, Wall is less effective in an off-ball role because he's an iffy shooter. At 32%, Wall is a slightly better career 3-point shooter than Westbrook (30.5% and trending downward in recent seasons), but neither draws much respect from opponents as a shooter.

The last issue here in projecting Houston's upcoming season is availability. The best argument for the Westbrook-Paul trade was Westbrook's durability. That ended up backfiring on the Rockets, as Westbrook ended up sitting out one game of back-to-backs prior to the stoppage of play and missed time because of a quad injury in the bubble. Meanwhile, Paul stayed healthy all season with the Oklahoma City Thunder.

Now, Houston has downgraded again in terms of likely health. Players coming back from an Achilles rupture have historically missed about 20% of their team's games over the first season of their return, not counting any games missed during the rehab process. Swapping Westbrook for Wall might force the Rockets deeper into their weak bench.

So far, I've discussed this trade in terms of Houston's ability to win with Harden in the short term. With Harden apparently wanting out, that can't be the Rockets' only concern. If and when they decide to trade Harden, they're probably better off starting some sort of a rebuilding process with an extra draft pick in hand even if Wall is no longer as productive a player as Westbrook. From that standpoint, and in terms of dealing with the immediate issue of Westbrook wanting out, this deal is understandable.

Washington Wizards: D
    [​IMG]
    For the Wizards even more than the Rockets, this has the air of kicking the can down the road rather than actually dealing with the issue. In Washington's case, that's the future of All-Star guard Bradley Beal, who has two years left on his contract before potential free agency in the summer of 2022.

According to the reporting, the Beal-Wall relationship was always fraught, and bringing Wall back into the mix after Beal had taken on a larger role in his absence figured to be a challenge. Beal didn't necessarily handle the ball more last season, but his usage rate rose to a career-high 34% of the Wizards' plays after it had never previously been any higher than 28%. Would Wall have willingly acceded to a secondary role in support of Beal? We'll never know.

In this case, again, the fit is hardly much better with Westbrook in Wall's place. Wall is ball-dominant, but as much in the service of setting up his teammates as scoring himself. The 2016-17 season was the only time he has cracked a 30% usage rate. Meanwhile, 31% is the floor for Westbrook's usage since his first two seasons in the NBA.

Clearly, Washington will be better off with Beal as the primary scorer. He managed to shoulder the extra load last season without any decline in efficiency, posting a .579 true shooting percentage that was right in line with his .581 mark in 2018-19. (There was a noticeable drop-off in Beal's effort at the defensive end of the court.) Westbrook's best career true shooting percentage is .554, so any shots he takes from Beal probably will be less efficient ones.

In part, this brings us to an age-old Scott Brooks question dating to his days as the Oklahoma City coach: How much should he stagger rotations to separate the minutes for Westbrook and his more efficient, high-scoring teammate? Beal and Wall nearly always shared the court together, which made sense given Wall's playmaking was more complementary to Beal's ability to knock down open shots. The Westbrook-Beal pairing will be maximized by playing apart as much as possible.

In the short term, it's certainly possible Westbrook could see a lift in his offensive efficiency in Washington. He'll be surrounded by the best shooting of his career, particularly when he plays with Davis Bertans, whose 4.5 3-pointers per 36 minutes led qualifying players last season. We saw during January and February how effective Westbrook can still be when given proper floor spacing.

But Westbrook is 32 and his athleticism is going to head only in the wrong direction at this point. He doesn't fit a Wizards roster that has trended younger. Veteran reserves Robin Lopez and Ish Smith are the two other Washington players in their 30s. As the Wizards ponder a post-Beal future, building around a declining Westbrook with young talent doesn't really make sense.

Worse yet, a rebuilding Washington team could at some point find itself out of a lottery pick because of this trade. The protections prevent the Wizards from ever giving up a premier draft pick -- the highest possible being the ninth overall selection in 2026 -- but Washington might have to sweat out some lotteries if the team is neither in the playoffs nor truly awful.

I get the reasons the Wizards would make this deal, and it's worth noting that they have more information on Wall's current condition than others do. Nonetheless, it's a move I would not have made. I don't think it either makes Washington a likely playoff team now or positions the team to move forward without Beal.

8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

“this is a lose-lose situation”

mikol13 likes this.
  9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Tilman knew exactly what was on the table and he insisted, against Morey's advice, to pull the trigger. The details weren't secret to Tilman.

His boss told him to make the bad trade, so he did.

jiggyfly likes this.
  10. white_dragon

white_dragon Member

Also, a quick administrative type question. How do I spoiler something when I post so that if I post an article it isn’t this massive wall of text? Thanks in advance.

11. pr0wler

pr0wler Member

Also remember people said Derrick Rose was done, and he had YEARS of serious injuries. He barely played for like 3 sessons.

But last year he quietly averaged the same PER 36 stats and efficiency as his MVP season. However, a lot of people seem to have forgotten that his career was basically over at one point in time.

zeeshan2 likes this.
  12. dmoneybangbang

Wall, Gordon, and Wood will be able continue on the tradition of barely missing the playoffs when we trade harden.

saleem likes this.
  13. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

If the owner is breathing down your neck along with James Harden, then you are not negotiating from a position of power. I am sure Morey could have played the waiting game with OKC, but Tilman came down and said, "I want you to do this trade now".

Your take on this is farfetched as hell. How many times have we seen owners get in the way of business and **** over the team with bad moves due to their impatience?

I can't imagine Morey was so ****ing petty that he said, **** it, I'm going to go ahead and **** over the organization and give away all future picks. This was Tilman's doing, pushing the buttons, and his impatience led to a terrible deal. Maybe if he would of been willing to wait, Morey could have negotiated less picks and maybe CP3 would of had a chance to play a couple of months and build his value back up.

There is plenty of criticism we can hand to Morey, he wasn't a god by any means and certainly had his annoying tendencies (i.e. missing out on good talent, waiting to be told no by superstars during free agency, cutting good talent, sub par drafting record in the 1st round, etc).

HP3 and clutchdabear like this.
  14. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

So you agree Morey made a terrible trade. thank you. That's all im saying. Morey made the trade Tilman made the demand. It was a bad trade that Morey made. sorry to hurt you guys feelings.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

spoiler
    /spoiler

in brackets [ ]

or click the spoiler button (where the + is — “Quote”, “Spoiler”, “Code”, “Strike-through”)

16. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

It's not knock on his record, which is what you are suggesting. I'm sorry to hurt your feelings.

HP3 likes this.
  17. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

So you're telling me Tilman made a demand to Morey and Morey, who knows Tilman knows nothing about how basketball works, told him the ramifications of giving up 4 future picks? Naw fam.

Tilman made the demand and Morey as GM has to make good on the demand. Its incumbent on Morey to make the best trade. Morey didn't do that IMO.

18. Chamillionaire

It was clear that outside of Harden, there was no one else who could create open looks and be the "floor general". RW would make a move and more often than not, miss a shot whether it'd be midrange or wherever. Wall isn't the "scorer" Russ is, but he's a better floor general. We don't need Wall to score as much as Russ. We need Wall to make it easier for guys like Wood, EG, House and hopefully Boogie to get easy looks and I think he'll do that much better than Russ.

I loved RW's ferocity and intensity. MFer is a real dude, but Wall is gonna ball out here.

ThrillaNManilla, pr0wler and Patience like this.
  19. white_dragon

white_dragon Member

Thanks. I appreciate the help from a true master.

J.R. likes this.
  20. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

YOU, say it's not a knock on Morey's record. I disagree.

I swear some of yall acting like you have never had a trash boss.

You still have to do your job.

don grahamleone and Os Trigonum like this.