1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] [Shams] Rockets trade Westbrook for Wall

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

... I'm failing to understand.

You do know when your boss demands you do something... you kind of don't have a say in the matter right?

Like... you have to know that right?

TheFreak, clutchdabear and YaoMing#1 like this.
  2. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

This is a horrible trade for us.

Russ is a way better player than Wall even if Wall comes back healthy. Wall is bad 3pt shooter as well, just like Westbrook except he's been extremely injury prone. I don't see how this is a positive for us at all. That pick is going to protected like there's no tomorrow.

ashleyem likes this.
  3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I'm glad we got rid of Westbrook, but would have much preferred getting back some young, healthy, athletic players and more picks in return. But I guess we didn't have much of a chance. Meddling owner ****ed things up with that Paul for Westbrook trade, this is just still the after-effect of that.

daywalker02 likes this.
  4. Downtown Sniper

I don't know... something about the claim that he's spent 5 years with an injury doesn't sit right with me.

If i'm paying someone multi-million dollars each and every year, it's in my best interest that they're getting things fixed in the offseason.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

6. s3ts

s3ts Member

Russ and Harden weren't gonna stay together in Houston after **** hit the fan. Tillman and his political disposition is an additional excuse to skip out on town.

I don't feel bad at all. Rockets fans are garbage, Houston doesn't deserve Harden, and Harden deserves to demand a trade to wherever he wants.

People who think this was all politics are just completely disconnected from whats going on.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Man, they aren't garbage, they just do not go to many home games.

You can't in Covid 19 times.

Harden can go wherever he pleases, that is true. Good for his fans that he chooses to stay this long.

8. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

Yes we get Morey was forced to do the trade but he did very questionable things last season. One of them was that trade we gave too much for Russ. Okc was going to trade him, yet Morey gave up so many picks n just Russ. We went to the second round and okc was eliminated in the first.

Also he waived Harty instead of Clemons, that was bad too.
    Even if we weren’t going to play Harty all year we didn’t play Clemons either and he had size and showed potential. MDA was the one that held him back. Plus Morey gave Gordon that extension.

Just little things that when you pile up seemed like self sabotage. Also don’t forget his tweet got him in a lot of trouble and he knew this would happened. Morey, more than any other GM knew how a tweet like that could affect the relationships between the Rockets and China. I’m in no way I’m saying he shouldn’t have post it or it was a bad post. However, he was a GM from a professional basketball team that had very closed relationship with the Chinese market. It wasn’t just a random poster. He should have known better and I’m sure he knew what he was doing.

iMorey also should have had more courage when Tilman wanted MDA for coach but he wanted someone else. When Harden and Tilman wanted Russ he should’ve more integrity. He should had stepped down then if he wasn’t happy or felt pressure. All the pressure would have gone on Tilman and Harden. But he promised CP3 he wouldn’t trade him in person. So he gave his word yet soon after CP3 was traded.

I like Morey, he is a great GM, intelligent and funny but he wasn’t the sharpest at times “be well” Royce White comes to mind.

Anyway I’m glad we are in a new chapter with a new gm and coach. I hope for the best this season. And I hope Harden matures a bit and is more focus and ready for the playoffs. I hope he is mature enough to buy into this new system, less iso more ball movement and he needs to stop blaming others for his defensive breakdowns.

#848 cerophilik, Dec 3, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Agreed. I am not overly enamored with Wall.
    The thing is .. . . Harden eases alot of error.
    Wall doesn't have to push as much
    and honestly. . i dunno if he should even be starting .. . not soon anyway

Rocket River

10. jch1911

jch1911 Member

11. Anonymous8

Anonymous8 Member

You know the Rockets don’t play in the East right?

12. Downtown Sniper

You say you get Morey was forced to make the trade... then right after you say "yet Morey gave up so many picks"

No. He. Did. Not.

Read your first part. You get he was forced to give up those picks.

If you remove Tilman from the organisation.

Morey does not "give up so many picks" because the trade is never made in the first place.

Just lol at "Morey also should have had more courage". I can tell you've never had an ******* superior before in your life.

Now your Royce White critique on the other hand is very valid. There are things Morey should not have done in hindsight. Which are on Morey. People should nitpick those. Not things which we all know Morey had zero control over.

clutchdabear and Nook like this.
  13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Hearing about this trade and it happening out of nowhere like that makes me wonder. Is it really possible that Harden could be gone like..tomorrow?

ashleyem and apollo33 like this.
  14. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I was thinking the same thing especially given he was MIA for media day yesterday

ashleyem and coachbadlee like this.
  15. onreego

onreego Member

Obviously Wall is recovering but why are people saying he’s just as bad of a 3pt shooter?

With the exception of 2016, Westbrook hasn’t shot better than 30% from deep in the last 5-6 seasons. His 3pt percentage has been steadily declining— 26% percent this past season. Along with that his FT% has been declining.

Wall, with the exception of his injury season, averaged about 35% in the prior 3 seasons. From the videos it looks like he’s been working on his shot mechanics to improve that too.

Westbrook seems to have worked on his body and athleticism in the offseason. Showing that he’s overly dependent on it on the wrong side of 30 without any visible attempt or self awareness at correcting his weakest skill—shooting.

clutchdabear and Nook like this.
  16. onreego

onreego Member

Another thing to remember, Westbrook basically forced their hand. He demanded a trade publicly via his agent and essentially didn’t show up for camp (regardless of reports that he was “planning” to).

Harden could do the same (from reports, he showed up) but a disgruntled Harden is still more valuable than a Westbrook. That’s just a fact.

17. lalala902102001

It’s not a good trade for the Rockets but they had little choice after Russ forced their hands. In the bigger scheme of things I think this will help make the inevitable rebuild process start sooner.

18. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Wall is going to play well with Harden.

As weird as it sounds cousins Harden and wall are all friends and have kind of the same swag. Russ is close with Harden but he’s a family guy which I great but that isn’t the three I named above. Those guys are strip club Kings lol.

The wood pick up is what sets it off I think he can really be a borderline allstar on houston just might be hard because of the big names on houston now.

but I do think wood will now with this trade be the rockets second leading scorer and leading rebounder.

I would not be shocked to see him put up the same 23/10 he put up after the Drummond trade.

and he put those up on very very efficient shooting from three and in the paint.

Iv alwsys thought Harden needed a big like wood and cousins over a stud guard or wing. Cp3 did work the first year tho but that team was really well constructed and we had clint now we just have massive bigs with shooting and skill it all depends on cousins and if he can play more than 20 min a game.

I don’t have any doubts about wall playing 32 min a game and playing like he used too.

don grahamleone and pippendagimp like this.
  19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

When I look at the Wizards it's so clear they won this trade for me. I'm sorry but...

Beal is more of an off-ball guard, can shoot, plays defense sometimes, can definitely play off Russ. Rui, versatile mobile big oozing with potential...oh the rest of these guys are shooters and this Deni kid looks like one of those utility Euro players that just gives you a bit of everything right when you need it. I would not be surprised to see that team breakout next year.

Oh, and we know Russ is going to be hungry and motivated as ****. If he stays healthy I think a lot of us will be wondering why we didn't force him to play here, up his value, then trade him.

As for Wall man people really are just ignoring his injury history and like one dude has really come back from that injury to play at his previous level. Expecting him to shoot, defend, play with pace, etc etc on that knee is a big ask for a full season.

I get he was playing pick up games and looks good in pick up games, yeah, so did Melo. So do a lot of NBA players, it's a pick up game, it is less than a pre-season game.

I hope and pray that Wall and Cousins can return to form, I do, but that's all it is at this point. A hope and a prayer.

ashleyem likes this.
  20. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

I'm not ignoring Washington's culture either. If he plans on joining the Clippers in a couple of years or the Lakers then he just needs to do that and take the easy way out. F'n culture get the F outta here with that BS Westbrick.