1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] [Shams] Rockets trade Westbrook for Wall

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Dec 2, 2020.

1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Thanks Westy for "expanding our window"

BHannes2BHonest and daywalker02 like this.
  2. bmelo

bmelo Member

They will make playoffs with Harden even alongside 4 WNBA players these media bums dont even watch bball

3. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Will anyone be surprised when Westbrook is an all-star and leading the wizards to the playoffs as well as rebuilding his trade value, while wall is either injured or struggling to fit into the rockets system.

clos4life, CK Johnson and D-rock like this.
  4. finsraider

finsraider Member

I recognize that Wall is not a good shooter. Maybe that’s changed in his 2 years off and he will be a bit better...we will see.

But Westbrook is the worst volume shooter OF ALL TIME. Literally the GOAT brick layer.

I kind of think of Wall as being like Rondo. He’s not a great shooter, but he won’t shoot them often and he’s not a guy you can completely ignore on the 3 point line.

if you’re looking for hope, this is from an article in August about Walls 3-point shooting:

2018-19
    Overall 3PT%: 30.2
    Catch and shoot 3s: 37.3
    Pull-up 3s: 20.6

2017-18
    Overall 3PT%: 37.3
    Catch and shoot 3s: 43.8
    Pull-up 3s: 31.3

2016-17
    Overall 3PT%: 33
    Catch and shoot 3s: 35.9
    Pull-up 3s: 30.5

2015-16
    Overall 3PT%: 35.4
    Catch and shoot 3s: 38.4
    Pull-up 3s: 31.3

IF he can make the transition to playing more off ball, there is a decent track record there of average catch-and-shoot ability. IF.

He’s a smart player. If he can become more efficient...ie eliminate the mid-range, focus on more catch and shoot 3s, and getting out on the break, it’s possible this works.

Truthfully, we really have no idea what we are going to get. He said he’s completely overhauled his game and he’s coming off an Achilles injury...we don’t know what he’s going to be on this roster. If the idea is that he just steps into Russ’ role...that’s a mistake.

5. bmelo

bmelo Member

Im from Poland and Gortat never was good at basketball. I remember when Zaza Pachulia looked like prime Bill Russel against him in Euro-tournament... Gortat is 100% John Wall product all he can do is run and be physical. He also has series of interviews right now when he said him and John Wall got friction because Gortat stopped hanging out with him in the clubs lol.

as a sidenote he said in the same interview that James Harden is „real dude” and gets a lot of respect behind closed doors from other players. And stories about off the court Harden are supposedly legendary. He didnt share them because they are not printable but he confirmed James got his Jersey retired at the strip club

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Making the playoffs as a 6th or 7th seed doesn't equate to anything grand actually.

Harden would be gone. Matter of time and trade package as well.

Wall isn't bad but I thought Westbrook at his best was much better. Wall wasn't anywhere close to MVP.

8. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

If I'm understanding you, you think Wall and Cousins are coming off the bench?

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

We will see who is right.

I'm not reading your novella.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

In case it has not been posted, but just treat it as a reminder if it has.

11. finsraider

finsraider Member

I think he’s just saying that Wall will play when Harden sits. Also, Tucker normally plays with Harden, so he’s likely not going to play a ton of minutes with just Wall.

12. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I would have liked to see what the rockets could have done with russ for a full season especially with some more athletes around him. We traded him at his lowest value where he had a terrible playoffs coming off of a injury and getting covid. Maybe there was something going on in the background with harden that led to this who knows. Only hope here is that wall was a pretty good catch and shoot guy from the 3. If we can't shoot those above 40 percent, he may help space the floor better which will be handy of cousins is back enough to post up

D-rock likes this.
  13. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

It actually makes me visibly annoyed people still have that line of thought.

HP3 likes this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Wall is a Rocket.

End of story. Until he isn't.

Will root my ass of for him until then.

LFG!!!!

15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

16. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

I’ll never forget this... can’t say he doesn’t play with heart

17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Don't like the trade. Was hoping the first round pick was unprotected and then man that would have been a steal. If Russ gets hurt or something we're talking a top 10 pick easy...

but man it was basically a swap of Wall and Russ. I think it's going to be clear in the early season who is the better player and we'll be wondering why we didn't keep Russ.

People are really downplaying Wall's injuries and interestingly enough when we got Cousins all people talked about were his injuries... the difference is we spent nothing to get Cousins and if Wall goes the way of most players with torn achilles then Wall will be a worse contract than Russ.

Hakeemtheking, clos4life and ashleyem like this.
  18. riko

riko Member

Westbrook is dumb player who wants to go somewhere where the ball will be exclusively in his hands to make every decision. Wining is not his priority. I guess being one of the top 5 usage players in the nba this past season wasn’t enough. He wants to be number 1

19. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

2020, that crazy ass upside down year where we somehow found ourselves on the opposite end of the RW-Bev feud for one season.

20. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member