1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If you moved to a different country, where would it be & why live there?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

2. Buck Turgidson

Dude...that's awesome.

"How much do you think these houses cost? We can drive that up."

Xerobull likes this.
  3. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

[​IMG]

4. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

@Exiled ...I don't know that much about Medford except it is beautiful...just like the rest of the Western Oregon. It's a small town and is probably a relatively conservative area...so if that's not your thing, you might want to consider elsewhere (probably lots of big trucks with Oregunian stickers on them). Medford probably doesn't get as much rain as the Portland area...but will still see a fairly good amount of rain. There's no sales tax...but your income does have a 10% tax on it...so there's that. It is nice walking into a store and seeing something with a price tag of $4.99 and know that's exactly what you'll pay at the register.

The Medford area is also very close to so many awesome natural attractions...all of Northern California (Yosemite, Mount Shasta, Reno/Lake Tahoe, NorCal coast). Crater Lake, Klamath Falls, Bend, trees, Oregon Coast. Lots of great places for day trips or overnight trips. Plus, Portland, Seattle, Vancouver and Vancouver Island are great places to visit.

Another thing to keep in mind...I ran into this while living in Nevada (Henderson). Oregon, like Nevada, has a couple of high population areas so a ton of the state's resources go to those large populations. Smaller towns will probably always feed a little bit left out. This perturbs Eastern Oregon so much that there's a loose movement to break away from the State of Oregon and join up with Idaho. Not a big thing with living in Medford...just something that exists.

All in all, if I had a decent job possibility in Medford, I'd probably take it. Small town in a beautiful area. Not sure where you'd be coming from...but living on the West Coast is a different mentality than living elsewhere. It's not bad...it's just different.

#244 boomboom, Nov 30, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    Exiled likes this.
  5. watashi315

watashi315 Member

There's more to Australia than just Sydney, ya know?

6. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Oh I agree with you 100%.

But if you’d ask 100 people if you would move to Australia where would you go. At least 80% will say Sydney.

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I've always heard that Australia is comparable to Texas -- significantly more bogans though.

8. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Gold Coast or Melbourne

9. Downtown Sniper

That is a big no.

You won't find much of that politeness here.

In big cities it is near non existent.

KingCheetah likes this.
  10. Downtown Sniper

Sorry for the double post - this was actually what made me fall in love with Texas the very first time I arrived.

I was taken aback but just how friendly and polite people were in every day life.

Having lived in Sydney my entire life - it was a huge shock to the system.

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

That's wild my mental image of Australia is apparently totally wrong -- I didn't think it was as friendly down there but I also didn't picture overly unfriendly/ rude. I know it's much more conservative than people think.

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

13. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

"Our homeless people live in houses" LOL

Buck Turgidson and Xerobull like this.
  14. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

New Zealand, Japan, Canada, Hong Kong, Thailand, Uruguay or France.

15. Juxtaposed Jolt

Didn't think this thread could be more relevant in 2021 than in 2020, but here we are.

Xerobull likes this.
  16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

One with a democracy would bee koo

Xerobull likes this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

Yep, Yep, Yep, Nope, Nope, Yep, Nope

18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Technically, because of the travel restrictions, it won't be relevant until at least 2022

19. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

For those of you saying Japan: they have extremely polite, but extremely ingrained, overt racism against almost all non-Japanese. It’s bad, but tolerable for white people, but it’s staggeringly bad for black or Latino people...and other “inferior Asians “ as well

Caesar likes this.
  20. Caesar

Caesar Member

As beautiful as so many countries are(Italy immediately comes to mind), and not being white myself and liking feeling different, i'd choose pretty much any English speaking country(I'm aware most of the Scandinavian countries also speak perfect English as well-but i don't want to learn any new language). The older i get, the more enticing the idea of living out in the country side would be. Wouldn't even need a family. Just me, a dog, a scrambler/bike, some farm animals, and beautiful nature. Fishing. Hunting. Eating. ****ing. Living. I'll live and die happily unless of course i come across a hick, racist equivalent in said country.
    BUT, if i have to choose.....Can't brave Canada winters. Amazing, but only for short vacation. Australia is dope, and might be #2 but many of the same issues faced here. I'd likely fit in mostly in New Zealand. In Hawaii, all the locals thought i was a native so maybe pass for Maori, but NZ's a pass. I think i'd lean toward the country side of Ireland all things considered and find a loving, traditional, family oriented Irish woman to settle down with. Cozy little cottage. An Irish Collie or Irish Red Setter as my companion. A good life.

Xerobull likes this.