1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will you give John Wall a chance?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RedRedemption, Dec 2, 2020.

?

Give John Wall a chance?

1. Yes, let's see what he can do next to Harden.

89.5%
  2. No, how do we get rid of him?

10.5%
  1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not expecting much, I never expect much from players with a torn Achilles, but I'm willing to give him time to show that he can at least be better than Westbrook in terms of fit with the team.

He started out a better catch and shoot 3 point shooter than Westbrook and has allegedly worked a lot on that over the past 2 years. We'll see what happens, I'll give him 20 games or so before I judge him one way or the other.

2. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I don't have high hopes. Wall plays almost exactly like WB, yes he can shoot a bit better, but he still isn't a real threat. I think teams can still sag off him on defense at the 3 point line. On top of that he's nowhere near as good as WB is at getting to the rim and finishing, even before his injury.

I think this will really depend on Silas. Teams are going to double Harden again and dare Wall to shoot the open 3, if that's our offense, we are going to lose a lot of games.

daywalker02 likes this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

His catch and shoot 3 point shooting numbers in his career were always solid, if that's what he's asked to do and defenders give him that, he'll hit 35+% of them even if he hasn't improved in the 2 years off where he's been working on them.

With Westbrook, leave him alone in the arena and he'll struggle to hit 30%

You just can't ignore Wall as a shooter the way you can with Westbrook.

4. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

If Silas was hoping to have more movement this season, Wall is a terrible pickup. In Washington it was iso ball with Wall all the time. In many ways he's like Harden. When he has the ball he dribbles forever and tries to beat his man off the dribble, and when he doesnt he does nothing. Unless Silas really pulls something crazy off, we could be headed into an ugly, ugly season.

[​IMG]

daywalker02 likes this.
  5. TheresTheDagger

Of course I'll give him a chance. It's not like there's any upside to hoping he sucks.

JayGoogle, YaoMing#1 and CCorn like this.
  6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

There's nothing that suggests this will not end up being Harden and Wall taking turns iso'ing and we complain about it again. I am honestly tired of hoping at this point.

HorryForThree likes this.
  7. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

idk where people are getting this idea that hes good off ball. Hes an iso heavy player than can barely average 20 on a mediocre east team. Beal only really started playing at an all star level when wall went out

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

youre giving way too much credit to a career 32% shooter

hakeem94 and daywalker02 like this.
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, I'm just looking at the kind of shots I want him taking here, and it looks like he can hit them unlike the scrub we got rid of.

I'm not asking for him to become Steph Curry, I'm just asking that he not shoot the 3 ball like a 90's center.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Like most have said, of course we'll give him a chance because we have no choice. I tend to be optimistic about our players, and there's reason to expect exceptional play from Wall if he turns out to be healthy, especially if he's really recovered from his myriad injuries, as some reports appear to suggest. The rare times Wall has been injury free he's proven to be an outstanding player.

Examples? He's very good at the line, better than Westbrook, and for his career Wall has averaged more assists and fewer turnovers than Russ. Unsurprisingly, Brodie is the better rebounder, where he truly excels, but Wall is far from terrible with over 4 boards per game. Wall also had 3 seasons where he shot over .350% from behind the arc, one of them when he played 82 games and another where he played 77. He's capable of being consistently good throughout a season hitting his threes, despite his reputation in that department.

See? I can find reasons to be optimistic. Optimism dependent on Wall truly being healthy and managing to stay that way. We'll just have to wait and see which John Wall we end up with. Maybe we'll be lucky. We're overdue for some luck.

hakeem94, joshuaao and RustyHarden like this.
  11. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

That's what I'm expecting at this point. The Cuttino Mobley - Steve Francis iso turns offense all over again.

12. raining threes

13. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

that is halfway true

beal def took off with wall out but beal was also hurt a lot early in his career when Wall was playing well and leading the wizards to the playoffs.

that one year they had Otto porter and wall playing at a high level I think beal got hurt and was in and out they were a real good team and a lot of nba ppl thought they were the 2nd best team out East to the cavs that year.

that was all wall.

I’m excited because we have a completely different team with new everything.

only thing that would make it better is if we trade EG away for something then It’s literally new GM new Coach all new players and system with just Harden.

remember the first year we got MDA and signed ryno and EG? That was a fun team and they won 55 games and it was a lot of fun to watch them play.

I hope at the very least if were not title contenders we are a fun team to watch play.

def have a lot of talent it’s just unknown talent because of the injuries cousins and wall are coming back from.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

A little.

He scored 19-20 ppg before his injury, 3.6 rpg and around 8-10 apg.

He is a brilliant passer, a shotblocker for his size.

He has been a 3.8-4 TOs per game. 1 less than Russell.

Minus 7 ppg, 4 rebounds per game from Russell.

Will miss Russell's rebounding the most as he has been the best guard rebounder.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

What is exceptional though.....his best scoring output would be 23 ppg versus 32 ppg from Westbrook.

There is a 7 to 8 points per game differential.

Westbrook had 10 assists per game with OKC, the TOs are about the same, 1 less per game from Wall.

I think what he can bring, is discipline, playing more like a super role player/star player without attitude without mouthing off.

He is equipped to play the 2nd fiddle better than Westbrook, if it needs to be, step off the gas.

16. gogispade

gogispade Member

Please dont turn this in another Ty Lawson style situation...

daywalker02 likes this.
  17. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

The problem is Wall was never worthy of that supermax in the first place, Washington overpaid him like any small market would desperate to keep their star.

Wall shot 30% from the 3 the last season he played and is a career 32% 3p shooter, well below league average.

At best, Wall returns as a role player who can shoot 3s now but probably can't defend at all because of multiple career ending injuries. He's never going to be an all-star again.

But, all that said, I guess if you consider Westbrook rumors that he didn't even show up to training camp and is unwilling to play for the Rockets anymore, then having a player is better than not having one.

Hakeemtheking and daywalker02 like this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am not as negative on this.

Look, Wall would be on his best behavior and contribute as a 2nd banana.

The Rockets are likely to make a lower seed......like 6-7 anyway.

So they need to figure out what they get in return for Harden.

Wall is decent but not WB good, that is true. He probably isn't as vocal in the locker room, which means shet is not getting out of hand.

19. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

The question on it's face is faulty. The real question should be will John Wall give himself a chance by not being injured the entire season.

daywalker02 likes this.
  20. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

Thank the Lord we have Austin Rivers. . . . Austin? Austin? This isn't funny, Austin.

daywalker02 likes this.