1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Poll] Do you like the John Wall Trade?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jaychi, Dec 2, 2020.

?

Do you like the John Wall Trade?

1. yes

207 vote(s)
    37.7%
  2. no

125 vote(s)
    22.8%
  3. wait and see

217 vote(s)
    39.5%
  1. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Yeah very curious. Very mysterious. I guess we will never know. My best assessment as I have posted on here is that the Rockets had planned to move Russ once the season ended. Remember that there were talks of moving him well before the news of him being disgruntled leaked out. I think its a myriad of issues within the organization leading up to the situation we have now. They wanted to move him. He was concerned with the organization due to the coaching selection and then subsequent upheaval. He had prior concerns with the lackadaisical culture. And at some point he knew he would be traded. This triggered a Harden “interest” in going to the Nets. Reminder Harden never said he wanted to move. And reports were unclear on whether he actually said that. Instead the media ran with it and announced Harden’s desire to leave town. Nonetheless it’s in his mind and if it’s ever more present now with this trade no doubt. Let’s all pray this works out. Just so many question marks with this team.

2. bj3175

bj3175 Member

Wall is a better complimentary player butcher is nowhere close to Westbrook's level. I think he will fit in but I have questions as to how much athleticism he has left. One financial advantage could be and I repeat could be is that he is a little younger for the same contract.

3. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

You’re smart enough to get it but you decide to not get it.
    Even if what I just quoted you is true, it’s preceded by
    IF he can even play
    And it doesn’t matter if you end up being right, the fact that that’s a huge IF and a known IF; then you most definitely should have gotten a positive asset attached to Wall to use in a trade or to hold onto for a future.

EDIT: him being a better fit is the best case scenario. Do you know what the worst case scenario is? Trading Westbrook for an injured super max contract and nothing else. In other words, you could not have done any worse with a trade; you get something that’s even harder to move, you get no cap relief, you strap the roster around Harden, and next to nothing in a future trade asset that’s 3 years away and lottery protected

4. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

You forgot to add one more item on your list:

wheelchair

Dude hasn't played in 2 whole years. Comparisons of Wall to Westbrook are meaningless because we don't know his current health and physical status. Does anybody know?

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

Oh I’m not refusing to get anything. Everything I’ve posted about wall to this point I stand by it. It’s funny how people use this same unknown logic about if this if that but yet you have the same casuals telling cf’s guys like stone and Silas are much better then their previous occupants. But hey no surprise. Whatever fits the narrative around here

6. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Strictly speaking, I don't like it. I see it as a concession that we're done contending, which wasn't my hope. I don't think Wall will ever be a top 10 point guard in this league again after what he's been through. And I wanted more than "one late first rounder and a reclamation project" as a return for a guy who just made third team all-NBA. With that said, Westbrook forced our hand, and it's an understandable move with about the return I expected. It's sad that this is how things ended after how dearly we paid to get Russ here, but I'll be glad to move on.

#86 CDrex, Dec 2, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  7. riko

riko Member

Well given the recent footage of pickup games show he is well and truly healthy

8. hahachui

hahachui Member

if trading westbrook out can keep harden...then it is an A.
    if harden leaves,,,,and what we have is john wall..... F

Corrosion and split41 like this.
  9. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

the way i see it

33% chance wall is better than WB ( especially with harden ) this year
    33 % chance they play at the same level
    33 % chance WB outplays wall

10. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

except wall has never been considered better or at the same level as westbrook

11. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One flavor of headache and indigestion traded for a different flavor of indigestion and headache.

Is a change, I guess.

There were a whole bunch of people ecstatic about Paul for Russ, too. Seems like we might just be thrashing about without going anywhere, or possibly digging a deeper hole.

I'm sure there are some fans who just assume boogie and wall are going to be boogie and wall from 2016. I have a hard time imagining that both work out that well. Depending regularly on best case scenarios coming true is foolish.

I'm also sure some people were so frustrated by Russ that they'd take anything else as an upgrade. Grass is greener etc.

There were people thrilled in the Texans forum that sure that David Johnson was going to be the steal of the year, would absolutely return to pre injury form and the Texans were going to the Super Bowl.

#91 Ottomaton, Dec 2, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    Hakeemtheking likes this.
  12. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean that it cant. Wall has had years off to work on his game and get healthy ... and even if WB was better , wall was close and getting closer .

WB is also frequently injured , is losing his athleticism , his skills arent getting any better.

wall a couple years younger, less mileage , and is now playing with the better player in harden.

WB might put up better stats than wall , but can our team style be better than it was with WB last year ? now with wood and cousins ( along with other guys ) there are too many moving parts to narrow effects simply to WB vs Wall .

Kind of a coin flip IMO .

13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I really don't know.

I hated the Paul for Westbrook trade and loathe Westbrook as a player, but what does Wall bring? Not a great fit and big time injury to boot, but hey maybe he comes back strong and really benefits from the attention Harden brings.

I am wait and see.

14. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

Wall does not make the Rockets better nor worse simply from an injury standpoint. Russ was injured for many games last season for the Rockets so I think he was barely an impact. People undervalue Harden's impact on the team because it seems he was singly handily carrying the Rockets to the playoffs. Tucker, House, Gordon, Green, etc wouldn't be making those 3s without Harden's passing ability. If Wall stays healthy and back in form, I think he might be a slight upgrade shooting wise only.

Honestly, I am more excited to see how Silas, Wood, and Cousins impact the game more than Wall.

15. jowman

jowman Member

are we doing anything with the pick to improve?

16. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

The more I think about this trade the more I hate it. Their contracts are identical money and years. John Wall has played 73 games in the last three years. He's coming off of a full Achilles tear. Who's the last player to recover reasonably well from that injury? Dominique? All this talk about better fit is working on the assumption that he'll be back at full strength which is a reach. And the only compensation we get for all of that injury risk is a lottery protected pick years down the line.

I get that we're all fans and love this team, but this is like last year when the Westbrook trade happened. Everyone's brain knew that was a bad trade, but our hearts remained optimistic despite all the evidence to the contrary. We don't need to be so open minded that our brains fall out. If Wall is in a suit or is a fraction of the player he used to be will we still applaud this move? It's beyond a realistic possibility, I think it's more likely than not. We are depending on John Wall and Demarcus Cousins to save our season, both of them coming off of three straight season ending injuries each. Let that sink in.

ashleyem and split41 like this.
  17. YOLO

YOLO Member

This is absolutely false. I have bumped so many threads that had an embarrassing overwhelming number of approvals of the dumbass trade. That’s one thing that will not be forgotten on this board and how bad and how many people were so wrong from the beginning

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's hard to think of a player that was very effective after an achilles rupture. Cousins came close but then ran into other major injuries.

You could talk about Wilkens but you are going back to another era. It just seems like a VERY risky bet and you have to wonder what is going on.

19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Great trade. Got a pick to remove a toxic player who’s a worse fit. No downside whatsoever.

beardsanity713 and YOLO like this.
  20. RealRocFan47

RealRocFan47 Member

Watch his off-season pick up games, he still has the Athleticism. How long can he last is the question.

bj3175 likes this.