1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Boogie Cousins to Houston!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by treyk3, Nov 23, 2020.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What a basic way to analyze basketball, especially the Lakers series... A child can go through a roster and start signing tall guys.

It doesn't work like that.

jiggyfly, clutchdabear and cmlmel77 like this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL - that's a basic way to interpret what I said.

You should know better.

3. D-rock

D-rock Member

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/te...be-wed-to-any-style-of-play-with-15767560.php

“He’s a very talented basketball player and generally speaking, the team that has the most talented players on the court, wins,” Rockets general manager Rafael Stone said. “We have not, nor have we ever been wed to any particular style of basketball other than winning games. So, from that perspective, he is someone we’re hoping can help us win games because he is talented.”

“He’s recovered from all his prior injuries,” Stone said. “It’s just a matter of him trying to really get into basketball shape. He’s going to use training camp to do that, just like everybody else.

“He’s a physical post player. He can shoot the 3. He can pass out of the high post and the low post. You have to guard him with a true big. If you don’t, he can post up and get the layup.”

“If you try and ask him to do things he’s not good at, you shouldn’t expect him to be good at it,” Stone said. “The flip side is, there’s a lot that he is good at and he can bring that to us. There’s not one way of playing that is definitely better than the other way. You’re just trying to score more points that the other guy. We’re hopeful he can help us do that.”

5. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Already making excuses for Boogie sucking at defense.

6. gotsis

gotsis Member

The T-Mac and Tim Grover hype videos and articles after the microfracture surgery have made me skeptical about any kind of article like this.

But hoping for the best!

clos4life, durvasa, Rudyc281 and 2 others like this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

I guess Andrew needs to up his game too.

Even a child could identify that the Rockets roster is severely unbalanced, amirite?

:rolleyes:

fckbandwagons likes this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

9. pauebtg

pauebtg Member

Been my dream to get Boogie since 2014. Too bad it's Post achilles Boogie, but hopefully if he can still be 80% of what he was, he would still be a dang good center. Also, I wasn't going to watch the Rockets this season, was getting tired of the small ball, 3pt chucking, and D'antoni, but I'm so glad they picked up two bigs and it's back to basics. Harden was very deadly when he had an array of moves at his disposal plus a willing PnR player, not just shooting 3's. They stunted him a bit when they went all in with small ball and 3pt chucking, but that's another story.

10. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Possibly, yes. He's still a very talented player. What level he'll actually get to? TBD. But for vet min? I'd do that deal all day long, and twice on Sunday. Particularly for the Rockets, in desperate need of a center.

I will say that listening to his various interviews over the years, particularly in recent years, he doesn't seem like the problem child he's perceived as.

D-rock likes this.
  11. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I'd be happy to get Warriors version of Boogie and I have no doubt we can get that version. My biggest concern is that he becomes a valuable contributor and his body doesn't hold up again. I'm hoping him slimming down keeps him from another severe foot injury.

Boogie was never good defensively and thankfully his offensive game never relied on jumping out of the gym, so his skill should not have diminished.

Rudyc281 and hakeem94 like this.
  12. Chamillionaire

On a serious note, I hope he's healthy because he's legit.

Rudyc281 and D-rock like this.
  13. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

To some degree, it does. Look at the Lakers, and the Warriors, and various other successful teams recently. They don't really play 'small ball'. They play 'wing ball'....lots of people in that 6'6-6'7" range that can play, and defend, multiple positions. This makes them harder to match up with, and makes it easier for them to match up with other teams.

So, no, not just tall guys, but what we saw in the Lakers series is their 'small guys' were taller AND more athletic than our 'small' guys. And we should indeed pay attention to that.

To borrow a phrase my college roommate used to describe his high school alma mater (when they got crushed in the championship game). "Well, we were small, but we were slow". Other team was bigger and quicker. Sound familiar.

D-rock likes this.
  14. Vivi

Vivi Member

Boogie's limit has always been his brain, i was always a fan of his talent which was, and still is incredible for a center, i've seen him multiple times making great defensive plays here and there, he was just not always engaged, especially in the right way, let emotions get to him way too much, just like Dwight but in a different (and worse i'd say) way, but he always had that kind of potential on both ends.

Would be cool to see if he's more mature now, but i won't get my hopes up, especially on a team with average leadership, and yeah, he's coming back from awful injuries so, even if he is a different man right now, i don't know how much he can give us defensively at this point.

D-rock likes this.
  15. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Well, showing a post that says Rocket's don't have any players between 6'6 and 6'10, and right there in the post it shows the roster with EIGHT players on it hat are indeed between 6'6 and 6'10 doesn't help the argument. That's more Andrew's fault, as it's his tweet you linked, but did you actually look at the roster in the tweet? Not unbalanced at all. It's one thing to not have the facts fit one's story, but to go ahead and put the facts out there, as if they did, when they say the opposite....takes a special kind of obtuseness on Andrew's part.

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Are you blind?

Serious question.

There are NOT 8 players on the Rockets training camp roster taller than 6'6.

Below are the FOUR players taller than 6'6:

6'8 Kenny Wooten (2 way)
    6'9 Bruno Caboclo
    6'10 Christian Wood
    6'10 Boogie Cousins

That is 4 players, one of which coming off serious injury and limited playing time in last 3 seasons and another who will spend most of his time in G League.

17. xaos

xaos Member

Why is his nickname Boogie

18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Cousins is 6'10?

I thought he was less than that after the NBA went to shoe-less measurements of height.

19. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

20. Spooner

Spooner Member