1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Deshaun the Great

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Colt45, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The potential was always there, and I always said that, it's just that he always needed to take that extra step.

A big part of that was getting rid of BOB and focusing on getting the ball out quickly. That's what he's done ever since they kicked BOB to the curb and the results the past few weeks have been amazing. He's absolutely carving teams up when he doesn't have to wait every single down for long developing routes to finish. Also, while he still has his less than awesome moments, he's doing a MUCH better job recognizing the blitz is coming and when there are going to be unblocked rushers.

I had my doubts earlier this season, but it really does seem like most of that was BOB having his boot on Watson's back, holding him down. Now that he's free of that BS, he's starting to be the QB we dreamed he'd become.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  2. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

We is a stretch, but like I said, I'm glad you're coming around to the fact that his lack of a supporting cast (excluding D-Hop) has hindered his progress that much more.... which he's incredibly surmounted within the past 3 seasons of being in the league.

It's also very telling that not once did he take an opportunity to throw his HC under the bus or griped and complained as some other players could have easily done. Hell even some of our more eloquent and well behaved players took a step forward towards criticizing our ex regime. Shows a ton of class on his behalf.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Why? You not including yourself in that?

4. raining threes

How many points did the Texans score in the first half?

How many points did the Packers score in the first half?

Do you think the Packers defense may have played a bit softer in the second half being up twenty-one points?

5. raining threes

I'm just rooting for him to play his best against playoff caliber teams. So far this year that hasn't happened. I'm really interested in seeing how he does against a good Colts defense that gets most of their defensive line back this week. Hopefully the theme changes.

6. raining threes

Wrong

Like I said I want to see him play well against playoff level teams. His two worst games since BOB was fired came against the Browns and the Packers. Coincidence?

7. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Are the Texans a playoff level Team?

TheRealist137 likes this.
  8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

And, he was excellent against the Titans, so what's your point?

TheRealist137 likes this.
  9. Jwise44

Jwise44 Member

It’s pointless, he really has just made up his mind...he noted the browns game where there was 40 mph winds at times and no chance of throwing the ball

he will find any reason to keep his point alive because he just doesn’t want to be wrong in his mind

conquistador#11 and bobrek like this.
  10. raining threes

My point is lets see how he does against playoff caliber defenses before calling him a GOAT. Tennessee is a playoff team but you tell me how good you think their defense really is at this point in the season. They are an injured defense. Lets see how he does against an Indy defense that's getting three DL back this week.

I'm actually hopeful Watson's improving and can keep improving. But as of right now the term generational talent, HOF'er, GOAT etc... are just hyperbole.

As fars as using the word wrong. I would love to be wrong. A couple of wins against the dregs of the NFL doesn't really prove anything. IMHO

11. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Judging Watson now after he just lost his number one receiver is interesting while ignoring he did defeat a playoff caliber defense in New England just recently.

It’s pretty clear he has improved in his pocket passing while players like last years MVP Lamar Jackson are going the opposite direction.

Watson is a top 5 QB in the NFL now.

12. raining threes

You do realize the Covid, injuries and opt outs have made the Pats defense depleted. I hate that WFV got suspended because if Watson has a bad game against Indy's playoff caliber defense (They're getting 3 DL back from the Covid list) there's another built in excuse.

13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I like seeing the growth in the pocket. Distancing himself from Lamar and Cam types to be more like Rodgers, Wilson and Mahomes type. That should be his goal (hopefully even better)

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You use excuses to downplay his good games against good defenses, but disallow excuses if he has a mediocre game against a good defense?

houstonstime and BMoney like this.
  15. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

They may be depleted, but they are still a Belichick Defense.

raining threes likes this.
  16. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

You do realize how dysfunctional the Texans are, right? This team has lost it's leading rusher & top 2 receivers from last year. They have a clueless owner who's "trying" to fill his daddy's shoes. They have no HC, an interim HC (who's 174 years old) , two rookie coordinators, no GM & a chaplain running football operations. Now they have to recruit a competent GM and HC for a team with no lead RB, No WRs and aging front 7 with a shaky secondary. All of this with the bonus of lacking early round draft capital. And since Watson can't drag this CRAP SHOW to a 15-1 record, then it must be the QB....? You lose all credibility when you ignore the context of what the situation is.

17. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

So, do you guys believe that Watson is on par with Mahomes, considering the disadvantages of the Texans?

18. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Ask yourself: "What is Mahomes with Kelce, Hill, Watkins, and Andy Reid?

Watson is playing great, but now he has no running game and no #1 WR. He doesn't have a Offensive guru to help. I guess we will see how Watson performs the rest of the season. If you wanted Watson to continue to develop while facing adversity, you get your wish. Could be the best thing for him going forward.

19. showa13

showa13 Member

Mahomes is a better QB, he’s the best QB in the NFL.

If Deshaun was on the Chiefs they’d still be the best team in the NFL and a clear SB favorite, there would be little drop off.

plutoblue11 likes this.
  20. raining threes

Good defenses?

I'm not getting into another Watson debate tonight.