1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Next Texans Head Coach (and GM)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Uhm... Andy Reid and Travis Kelce are going to the Hall of Fame. Tyreek Hill is the single most dangerous player in football right now. Kelce and Hill are better than Deandre Hopkins. And Kareem Hunt was Mahomes' starting running back his first season as a starter.

Mahomes is better. But he's also in a significantly better situation. This is fairly undeniable.

He's being compared to those 2 because, other than Aaron Rodgers, he's better than literally every other QB in the NFL.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Well I would say Watson can read an nfl defense better than Mahomes can so who is winning with pure talent again? Deshaun was crucified for backyard football early and yet it’s adored by Mahomes fans. It’s interesting. Deshaun who couldn’t “see” the underneath patterns or blitzes and had a weak arm combined with the incompetence of the coaching staff and constant player flux was able to turn water into wine. It’s more impressive to me than a talented kid being given the keys to a lambo and told to “go fast!”

3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

The question is rhetorical, I meant his Oline is nothing special. Outside of Schwartz that is.

4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Hill and Kelce together are not better than Hopkins and Fuller imo.
    That’s more about Hopkins being the best receiver in the game by a fair amount.

And it is absolutely debatable about Watson being the best QB in the league after Wilson, Mahomes and Rodgers.
    He’s in the conversation but it’s definitely not hands down.

5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t know where you are getting your information. Look up yards after catch and you’ll see who throw more underneath routes.
    One of Watson’s negatives was ability to read and process defenses quick enough. One of the reasons he held the ball so long, that and poor route concepts.
    Is there any proof or expert opinion that says Watson reads defenses faster?

6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

And again, knocking the best QB in the game to make Watson look better is not going to do any favors for the Watson fans.
    It’s the same as the excuses, it’s ok that others are playing as good or better than him on the season. It’s also great that he’s been balling since OB left, only two picks.
    Let the whole season play out

7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I’m not knocking anyone just trying to go to bat for my QB. I didn’t invent or twist fact I thought everyone knew this.
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-didnt-learn-to-read-defenses-until-last-year

Mahomes is the golden child who could have single handedly saved any franchise I guess? Took the Red Raiders to a 13-19 record in his tenure and that one 800 yard game!

might be a good time to revisit the Gruden QB camp for each guy and see how they’ve grown in respect to the insular properties around them since their time in college and who was able to read and diagnose “better” at that time - maybe we can find the skull session from the show for each guy?

While you are liking what you see with an OBrien-less Deshaun Watson - Pat MaHomes was blessed with that from day 1.

Deshaun belongs in the elite QB category regardless of how you or I feel and if national sports punditry is what justifies the take I’m pretty sure it’s a universally accepted argument right now.

Nobody here is saying he’s the best - only that guys like you shouldn’t take a sht on him when comparisons pop up. As a “fan” you have yet to side with Watson in any QB comparison! Does he win the Trubisky matchup? Lol How about Lamar? D4 a better QUARTERBACK than Lamar? Funny a more apples to apples would be Mahomes v Jackson when you account for the coaching. (yes I know Pat >>>>>>> Lamar)

Not many people like to apply context to stats though and to me it’s what makes it eye popping how Deshaun has flourished regardless of the turmoil and circumstances around him and really took off when the cancer was finally removed. I can’t wait for the next coach and hope Cal doesnt rip my heart out with a dumb coaching hire.

8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I thought that was more tongue in cheek, Mahomes saying he didn’t know how to read defenses. Being more modest.
    The only 3 that I said are for sure better than Watson are Wilson, Mahomes and Rodgers.
    He’s not on their level yet.
    I think Lamar is a joke.
    Watson is right there in that second tier behind those 3, I’ve been consistent with that.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Fair enough. 4th year. If it fills out around him we'll be popping bottles I have no doubt. He's fully capable of winning a SB.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  10. Hey Now!

Yeah; they are. They're both anomalies, which makes preparing and stopping them difficult. Kelce has nearly 450 more receiving yards than the next TE in the NFL (Waller). He has just three fewer receptions than Hopkins - but more yards and touchdowns.

Kelce and Hill have a shot to combine for 3,000 yards and 30 TDs; as is, their pace is 2,900+ and 29. Hopkins, meanwhile, is on pace to score 6 TDs. His career high is 13, btw - which is Hill's current total.

I mean... this is all subjective - but no human on planet Earth (including, likely you) would trade Kelce and Hill for Hopkins and Fuller.

It's really not *that* debatable.

Using seven relevant QB measures (comp %; yards/attempt; TD; rating; QBR; total yards; INT). Watson is top 5 in six (he's 7th in QBR). The only other QBs top 5 in at least six of those categories? Mahomes and Rodgers. That's it. And no one has more than six. Watson is tied with Mahomes and Rodgers for most top 5 rankings.

(BTW, Wilson has 5; Brees 3; Brady/Tannenhill/Carr 2.)

I'm going to cut you off, because I know your response is going to be something like "WHAT ABOUT WINZ?!!?" and that's a silly response so please don't waste your time.

Getting back to it: you (generally, as in all of us) would absolutely trade Watson for Mahomes. *You* (meaning you, specifically) would probably trade Watson - and seven years - for Wilson (I would not) and/or Watson - and 11 years - for Rodgers (I would not).

Trading Deshaun Watson for *any* other QB in the NFL would represent a downgrade. The *only* rationale is finding a cheaper QB *for now* - but if he's going to be as good as Watson, you're only delaying the inevitable.

Maybe, instead of digging an even deeper hole, you come out and enjoy watching Watson play. The Texans - and their fans - are really lucky to have him.

11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

First, you don’t cut anyone off, if you don’t want to discuss something feel free not to respond.
    It is very easy to cherry pick some stats to create an argument. Watson’s numbers are absolutely terrific, but this is his best year to date and like you said his least amount of wins.
    QBR (I still don’t like this stat) has him 8th.

The other stats you mentioned, yes he is performing well, but things also need to be put into perspective.
    11 quarterbacks in the league have a passer rating over 100 (the number that most seem to say is elite)
    15 have a passer rating over 95 (higher than some hall of famers, and generally accepted to be a strong starter)

Hill just had a monster game to supercharge his numbers, but not one person in the NFL would take him over Hopkins. He’s not even a top 5 receiver. He’s a touch above Fuller when healthy.
    Kelce is legit, best TE in the game.
    But the difference between Hop/Fuller (healthy) and Kelce/Hill is not as big as you want it to be.

Watson is absolutely in that second tier behind Mahomes, Rodgers and Wilson.
    Where? That’s debatable. Brees, Brady, Allen, Ben, Kyler, Carr, Tannehill, Herbert all have performed well.
    I’d still take Watson over most for different reasons.
    Right now for this team, very strong argument to take Herbert (best rookie season ever) and his contract and get similar results.

12. conquistador#11

For the first time, we have the best Drama in the league. You can make 2 seasons of Arliss and Ballers with this year alone.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

15. Hey Now!

I'm not cherry-picking stats - I chose the most significant numbers for evaluating a QB. But please feel free to look up others - my guess is Watson will be in the top 5.

*This* - picking literally the *one* stat (which I included, btw) in which Watson's not top 5 - is cherry-picking, FYI.

And he's 7th if you remove Dak Prescott, who's only played 5 games. Regardless - 7th, 8th, guess who's behind him in QBR? (Hint: his name rhymes with Bussell Tilson)

Oh, boy....... We're not arguing he's one of the best of all-time. We're arguing he's one of the best *currently*.

So the "perspective" is: a lot of QBs have extremely high QB ratings these days... but only 2 are higher than Watson's.

LOL! Since '18, here are Hill & Hopkins' offensive outputs:

DHop: 22 TDs; 3,715 scrimmage yards
    Hill: 34 TDs; 3,594 scrimmage yards

Oh! I forgot: Hopkins was targeted (including rushing attempts) 419 times; Hill 367. And Hill is 2 years younger.

In terms of production and age, Hill is better while being his team's second option (Kelce has more targets since '18).

In fact, speaking of Kelce, since '18:
    DHop: 296 receptions; 3,704 yards; 22 TD; 416 targets
    Kelce: 274 receptions; 3,543 yards; 22 TD; 384 targets

Kelce, a tight end, equals (if not ever-so slightly outperforms, per target) Hopkins. Fuller does not equal Hill. (And you're welcome to look at Fuller's numbers with and without Watson to try and figure out which of them is driving that bus.)

They have - but none have performed better than Watson.

Watson, right now, is on par with Russell Wilson (behind Mahomes & Rodgers).

You keep trying to downgrade Watson for not having enough sustained success - but you're ready to move him for a rookie about to make his 11th NFL start?

TEXNIFICENT likes this.
  16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

You might want to take a look at the stats again. Wilson is actually higher than Watson in QBR. Watson passer rating is 3rd in the league, huge jump from the thanksgiving day game.

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/te...ith-Will-Fuller-out-a-chance-for-15767668.php

The Texans’ next coach will evaluate the coaching staff and determine how many assistants, if any, he wants to retain.

The new coach will start with interim coach Romeo Crennel, Kelly and Weaver before getting to the position and assistant position coaches. All could be gone, but a couple could be retained.

Crennel could be asked to remain as an assistant head coach. It’s doubtful a new coach will keep Weaver as defensive coordinator but could offer him an opportunity to stay as the defensive line coach, his other responsibility.

As for Kelly, the close relationship he’s developed with Watson and the quarterback’s exceptional performance could lead to his staying as the coordinator, quarterback coach and play caller.

19. Hey Now!

If the Texans make a run at .500 on the back of Watson playing out of mind (and now without Fuller)..... I'm going to guess Kelly could very well coach his way into being a viable HC candidate, here or elsewhere.

20. Texanstradamus

I doubt it he will land an OC job somewhere else possible he just needs to stay away from O’Brien the new GM will want his own guy maybe if they get a Defensive coach it’s possible he stays but even then I doubt it

red5rocket likes this.