1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Top Iranian Nuclear Scientist Killed in Apparent Assination

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Nov 28, 2020.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Its ridiculous that people believe Iran is gonna nuke Isreal. It would literally be the end of the world and they know that

2. Nook

Nook Member

I am sick of boot lickers acting as if Israel is some wonder ally of the USA. Israel has been caught numerous times spying on the USA, they receive preferential treatment they do not deserve and they have a history of trying to manipulate negotiations for peace attempted by the USA.

I don’t hate Israel, but they should not be treated like we treat them. The Obama administration was right to not trust Israel.

IBTL, Andre0087, fchowd0311 and 2 others like this.
  3. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Apparently the part where I said I do not disagree with you went right over your head.

I'm not cheering this act. In a previous response I said it was probably too big of retalitory strike if that's what it was and we were involved.

Also, lets not pretend we are the only ones playing these games. How many people has Russia poisoned in Europe now? Hezbollah and Iranian intelligence officers kidnapped, tortured, and murdered the CIA's Chief of Station in Beirut. I can't remember the officers name but the Iranian intelligence service also planned to kidnap and torture a CIA officer in Sarajevo during the Kosovo War. Oh, I remember. H.K. Roy was his name. The Iranian's top agent actually setup an "accidental" meeting at a mutual contacts office in the Bosnian government so he could see the CIA agent in person. Luckily, signals intelligence intercepted his plan and the CIA officer was protected and eventually moved out of Sarajevo.

Russia also attacked one of our highest ranking CIA officers in a Moscow hotel with a microwave weapon and the after effects forced him to retire. Another agent was attacked in the US with a similar weapon while walking her dog. Another attack occured in Austrailia.

https://greekherald.com.au/news/aus...o-attack-cia-agents-such-marc-polymeropoulos/

Do I love that this is the world we live in? NO, but I am not naive enough to pretend this isn't happening on both sides more often than we know. Don't worry though. In 6 weeks we will just use drones to assassinate people in foreign countries over and over again.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/23/us/politics/biden-haines-national-intelligence.html

"Biden Pick to Lead Spy Agencies Played Key Role in DroneStrike Program Under Obama"

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

You say that last part as if drone strikes have slowed down during the current administration. I believe they’ve actually increased, but without the requirement of reporting civilian casualties.

Deckard, mdrowe00, Dubious and 3 others like this.
  5. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

No, my point was that both parties seem to be all aboard the Title 50 assassination train and it doesn't seem to be changing because the moron is leaving the oval office based on who Biden is looking at hiring. The democrats seem to prefer drones whereas the Trumpster likes drones and other means.

6. durvasa

OK, though I don’t recall Obama-era drone strikes targeting government officials or scientists.

7. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Uhh... research the attack on Gaddafi's convoy when he was captured and killed. We lit them up with drones to stop the convoy. So we kinda shot at the leader of a "soverign country" under Obama.

8. durvasa

Not quite the same as a targeted assassination.

https://www.ft.com/content/af362fc0-fb2e-11e0-8756-00144feab49a

That was a NATO-led strike against a convoy of military vehicles, which I think is considered a legitimate target under rules of war. It is unknown whether they purposely targeted it in an attempt to kill Gaddafi, or whether they had knowledge of him being in the convoy, but they deny that this was the intent.

Nook likes this.
  9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You don't have to defend Iran to say that this was a bad idea. While there is likely some short term gain from taking out leadership of their nuclear program it's doubtful that killing him sets it back for the long term. This does make if much harder for the Biden Administration to deal with Iran, and I think that was the point of this and it's timing. It will also make it harder for the US to deal Iraq and and draws the US further into the regional Sunni vs Shia conflict.

AleksandarN, Deckard, Nook and 2 others like this.
  10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Well not at t h same rate as Trump reached Obama's drone strike death count in 3 years where it took Obama 8 and after that 3 years reversed Obama's executive order that all drone strike casualties are made public. So at this point we have no clue how many deaths were caused by drone strikes under the Trump admin. We do know it's much much higher than the previous admin.

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You'll need to clarify your position because you are contradicting yourself here.

First of all, how is killing an Iranian scientist a retaliatory strike? What is it in retaliation for?

Secondly, are you defending the strike or not. You are saying on one hand you don't cheer this act and you don't disagree but then you go on to justify it by saying, "hey we do it too" and "everyone else does it". As for drone strikes, whom do you think they are targeting?

12. biina

biina Member

Dont know how anyone (beyond a GOP muppet) can defend this - it was simpy a bad act that has made things worse.

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  13. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

You won't even find anybody that knows anything about it, publicly.

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Don't really want to be on Israel's war train. Sets us up in a way we can't both be friends with Israel and normalize relations with Iran. If Israel wants to put us in that spot, I'm happy to not be allies. They're a bad influence on us.

Nook likes this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

What I think gets lost in all of this is that no one in the USA from a political perspective "likes" the Iranian government. I see that thrown out there by Israeli supporters and some conservatives. This all has to do with trying to avoid being too much involved in the region (which is what Israel wants) while also avoiding a potential massive war if we have no involvement in the short term.

The Iranian government isn't changing any time soon, and as we can see with Syria and Iraq and Libya; sometimes the power vacuum left when s leader is removed causes far more problems than having a powerful warlord in place.

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Beyond that when was the last terrorist attack in Israel? I understand not wanting Iran to have nukes but really no one wants anyone to have nukes. Israel openly criticized Obama for the treaty and now you go this route.

LosPollosHermanos, Nook and durvasa like this.
  17. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Well.. depends on your definition of a terrorist attack. On November 12th 2 rockets were launched into Israel from Gaza. They responded with air strikes.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020...hamas-positions-after-rockets-fired-from-gaza

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Dude how freakin old are you?

IBTL and AroundTheWorld like this.
  19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Did we retaliate?

Are you trying to say Israel did this as a proxy for us?

20. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member