1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What do people think about Bitcoin?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Spooner, Jan 25, 2014.

?

What is the fate of Bitcoin?

1. Currency of the future

35.0%
  2. Passing Fad

65.0%
  1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

2. dmoneybangbang

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

That's a very specific section of a chart. Nice. lol.

Yung-T likes this.
  4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

This is why I only set the Vechain chart to October 2017-January 2018.

Ah, so beautiful, oh dear. *peacefully falls asleep*

saitou likes this.
  5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

lol. Stop mocking it. I still own my shares. :D

In other crypto news, I saw that Facebook is about to launch a very scaled-back version of their Libra coin possibly in January. I'm just waiting to avoid having to use stupid paper/coin currencies and switch to digital currencies.

saitou and Yung-T like this.
  6. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Singapore is pushing for digital money, but I suspect it's more to do with eliminating tax evasion and getting control over transactions. I dread the day we go full digital.

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I understand the fear, but I just think bartering with coins and paper money seems so archaic. lol.

Yung-T likes this.
  8. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

So BTC went bonkers this morning and we just got a new bitstamp ATH, making it official.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

FOMO got me a bit on this today, not gonna lie - buying and selling like a rookie. But it should break 20k this year.

10. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

The market could turn a bit into a rollercoaster for now, with violent candles on both ends, so I wouldn't fomo buy or panic sell too hard and just do some planned buying for now.

Especially alts should go hard if BTC doesn't crash, so many yet to recover from their lows and just beginning a reversal.

11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

this interview with Michael Saylor will blow your mind (yes it's the Mooch asking questions)

#4511 Commodore, Dec 4, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

What it say?

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

saitou and Yung-T like this.
  14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Saylor Moon.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

What exactly drives BTC down randomly in the EVENINGS anyway?

16. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

China’s digital yuan is beginning its assault on the world’s biggest mobile wallets
    https://qz.com/1942470/chinas-digital-yuan-begins-assault-on-alipay-and-wechat-pay/

This is the scary ish that I'm afraid of. W/O paper $ the man will have 100% control over fiat, and I don't see fiat going away.

@Dream Sequence food for thought on your BABA entry. It's clear they don't want to end up with a FAANG situation where corporations have more power than the gov. Tencent is an easy hold for me as I bought in much lower, but if I was entering today I would have to think twice - go with the 2 leaders or pick a smaller competitor that could benefit from the current scrutiny:

https://qz.com/1945689/china-fires-fresh-shot-at-alibaba-tencent-over-internet-monopoly/

Yung-T and Dream Sequence like this.
  17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, I think this was announced a week or two ago. They're still in a trial stage, but it's on a city-level from what I recall. This is what I thought would happen eventually even with the dollar, too. The US has been bouncing around projects like the Digital Dollar Project and of course Facebook has its Libra. There is no major power in the world that doesn't want to have control over its financial institutions/currency, so they're not about to let dogecoin take over the planet. lol. If bitcoin actually gained any power, it would probably be squashed.

Yung-T and saitou like this.
  18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Countries developing their own state issued crypto isn't really a threat unless it has the inherent features that made crypto popular in the first place, but if that ever comes to pass it means we achieved the goal that was set out to begin with so everyone wins anyway.

Yung-T likes this.
  19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

20. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

i don't see state crypto as a threat to btc as a store of value; but i don't see btc replacing fiat either. the bad thing is that digital fiat will take on the powerful properties of cryptocurrencies to reduce freedom. every transaction tied to your identity, the temptation would be too great; every transaction will be tracked or even limited/denied. you've bought too many sugary drinks this month, subsidized treatments for diabetes costs each taxpayer $x a month, transaction denied, etc. maybe not in the usa, but i can see this proliferating in other countries :( i already see government trying to influence spending habits by taxing things they don't like (alcohol/cigs) and then giving rebates/credits for certain types purchases, with digital currency this can go into overdrive.

dmoneybangbang likes this.