1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans @ Lions

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Nov 23, 2020.

1. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Totally serious.

If you just kick a 1 point pat to go up 16, then that's 2 touchdowns AND 2 two-point conversions. The 2 point pat's are almost like mini-drives because they are each an all-or-nothing proposition that you have to have.
    With a 16 point lead if you miss even ONE of the 2 point pat's then IT'S ALREADY A 3 SCORE LEAD!!!
    Without risking ANYTHING!

Now if successful a 2 point pat puts you up 17 then you need two td's and a fg to tie the game BUT you don't have the added pressure of making EITHER ONE of the 2 point pat's they would have needed had we just kicked it and gone up by 16.

So with a 16 point lead you would need 2 possessions and 4 pressure plays (2 td drives plus 2 two-point pat's), while up 17 they need 3 possessions but only 3 pressure plays since they now don't have to worry about going for 2 on either td.

So bottom line by going for 2 if you hit on it you have gained an extra possession, which I admit is BIG, but you gave up 2 pressure plays (2 two-point pat's) PLUS you added/risked another pressure play to yourself (2 point pat) to get your reward.

So that's -3 pressure plays to possibly gain +1 possession.
    Great if you hit it but imho not worth the risk/reward ratio.
    ESPECIALLY if we were a good team and this had playoff implications instead of just draft pick ones.

And just to get ahead of a possible "1 point pat's aren't a sure thing either anymore" the fact that coaches still choose the 1 point pat much, much, MUCH more of the time renders that line of argumentation mostly invalid.

Actually you'll find that I have defended Romeo a couple of times this year when he went for two (and failed) because they were at the time good risk/reward decisions imo.
    You've got to be able to separate the decision from the result.

#321 rfrocket, Nov 27, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
  2. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Again being competent does mean GOOD. BoB was successfully in winning 4 division titles, doesn't mean he was a good offensive coach.
    Matt Patricia is not a competent HC, nor Good HC.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

How are there still BOB apologists?

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

You did some bad math here my friend. We are up 15 if we miss the 2 point conversion which means they still had to get 1 2 point conversion.

I think the Texans should just go for 2 on every possession. We aren't playing for anything might as give me more fantasy points.

6. Buck Turgidson

One of the many mysteries of the universe.

7. steveng125

steveng125 Member

Y’all think fuller is here after this season?

8. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

I hope so. Seems like Watson/Fuller chemistry is great. Seems to be a legit #1

Uprising and rfrocket like this.
  9. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

What do you mean bad math?
    I never said anywhere what you're implying.
    I posted the difference between a SUCCESSFUL 2 point pat versus a 1 pointer, what you have to risk to get it and what the implications would be from there on out make or miss.

Of course if you miss the 2 point pat it still leaves them needing 1.
    But that's not good risk/reward.
    Also missing lets multiple negative factors come into the mix.
    If you miss the 2 point pat then that's at least a mini-shift in momentum.
    Plus it gives them a chance to extend the game much longer at very little cost.
    By that I mean if down 15 when you score a td all you have to do is kick the 1 point pat and it's now a 1 possession game.
    You can wait till you score again to go for 2, keeping the pressure on the other team by virtue of JUST ONE PLAY, the 1st td.

At 16 you HAVE TO HAVE 4 separate things, 2 td's and 2 2-point pat's.
    If you miss EVEN ONE of the 4 it's becomes a 3 possession game FREE OF CHARGE!
    Without risking anything!
    Just not the wisest strategy imho.
    But to each his own, everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

And like you said we aren't playing for anything (unless you're a dolphin fan) so it doesn't matter that much.
    But as most (good) coaches say, you practice doing things the right way when it doesn't matter so that when IT DOES you do what's right.

Bad habits are easy to get into and can be hard to break.
    As a long-time Texan fan I know this oh so well!

And with that I'm done posting on this subject here.

10. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

I hope so too.
    Will has really improved his (baby midget) hands.
    Or at least it seems he doesn't drop near as many as he used to.
    He's become a better short-mid route runner as well.
    The durability is the biggest issue and no one can predict that.

I do wonder if I would consider him a true no.1 receiver though.
    I trust him to take the top off the defense, but if it's 3rd and 3 and they're bringing the house PLUS playing man up on the los do I trust Will to beat his man and catch the ball like Nuke used to?

I still want him here though!
    And most importantly Deshaun does too!

Uprising likes this.
  11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Using your logic, at 15 points you also have to have 4 separate things, 2 TDs, 1 2 pt and 1 XP.

At 17 you have to have 5 things just to get to a tie.

STR8Thugg likes this.
  12. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

I don't count kicking the 1-point pat as "a thing" as evidenced by the fact that coaches still choose it overwhelmingly over the 2 point pat. Especially early in the game.
    The likelihood of it being successful is very, very high!

So a 1 point pat may not be "automatic" anymore, but it's still not that far away.
    And much, much closer than a 2-point pat.
    I addressed this in my original post!

13. Buck Turgidson

Might want to let Fairbairn know that.

STR8Thugg likes this.
  14. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

lol!

Still my point stands.
    Coaches still choose the 1-point pat much, much more than the 2-pointer so THEY (still) see a big difference between the two (whether you or I or anyone else does), even with the added distance.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

This is likely going to go the way 2 point shooting in the NBA went. Teams will eventually realize enough that the value of getting 50% more points when the conversion rate between XP and 2PC can be fairly similar for teams that have enough weapons on offense.

Teams likely have a stable of 3-5 2 point plays that are in the bag that merely rely on good execution to succeed (i.e. - the defense isn't going to do anything proactive to stop it).

STR8Thugg likes this.
  16. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

You do realize our kicker already missed an extra point, and he's missed a ton of them in his career.

This is some clown **** dude. Stop trolling.

17. STR8Thugg

Coaches do a lot of stupid things, it doesn't make it the right decision.

18. STR8Thugg

This.

Even if Fairbairn is nails, I still think going for 2 there is fine.

They had a play they felt confident in. All these people acting like a 2p conversion is the hardest thing in the world.

Pretty sure this clown is none other than Rich Gannon himself.

19. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

lol scarface denies it but if you argue with him long enough, he will always end back defending BoB.

BoB was a sht coach if you want to compare him to other coach that was as long tenured as he was.

He didn't deserve to be long with the franchise as he should, and he most definitely shouldn't have been gm, sht at that also.

Scarface will always b a BoB fanboy. it is what it is, Im just glad that sht coach is gone so at least you will see less post of scarface defendin his ass.

TheRealist137 and clos4life like this.
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member