1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. HOUSTON ROCKETS STREAM
    We're watching the Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone press conference now, reacting to their comments

Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone Press Conference
    Dismiss Notice

If trade demands never leaked out... I'd like this off-season a lot.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wizkid83, Nov 27, 2020.

1. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

So far, Stone has been solid in his role. Tillman seemed more aggressive.

Woods + 2 frp for Covington is a good trade. That contract seems like good value too. Tillman into the tax, let's what he does mid season if hes really willing to pay lux then good on him.

Sterling Brown is a good signing.

Cousins is.... Who knows. Losing Green hurts.

Waiting and seeing what Jones, Tate and etc will look like seems like typical low risk moderate reward move. This board doesn't get excited for those but if just 1/10 becomes a House on a value contract it's great for the team. Like a free frp every 3 years (We do like 4 of those a year, Pat Bev was the last one before House we got on a good contract that became an asset).

Next Year's playoff rotation.

WB
    EG
    Harden
    Tucker
    Woods

House
    Brown

If we can have one out of Mason Jones, Cousins, Martin, Tate, Caboloco become rotation ready I still say we're a contender.

That's all if we don't trade Harden.... It's all on Harden.

#1 wizkid83, Nov 27, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

5-6 slots filled with minimums, that's a little too much and unbecoming of a champion.

3. Reeko

Reeko Member

there’s an alternate reality where we keep Covington, sign Wood, retain Jeff Green, trade Russ, Harden signs an extension, and I’m on CF giving this offseason an A+

in this current reality, this offseason is just alright to me...I had incredibly low expectations, so alright is good enough I guess

we’re definitely not a contender, so I’m just hoping that Harden likes what’s happening and chooses to sign an extension

4. Bo6

Bo6 Member

we need to use our MLE and trade gordon then well be good to go.

D-rock likes this.
  5. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Couldn't have said it better myself. People seem to be ignoring the fact that we lost Covington, he was incredibly good for us. Just because we used him for small ball, people associate him with that, and getting rid of him means the end of small ball. The reality is that he easily could (and should) also be playing at the 4 or maybe some at the 3 in non small ball lineups, and he was so so so good for this team. He was easily our second best player in the playoffs. Even if Wood is everything we want him to be, he can't really be THAT much of an upgrade over Covington.

I guess it's nice to get younger and all that, but in terms of how good this team is, it hasn't really improved that much (if at all) unless we get some sort of magical Cousins renaissance.

6. Bo6

Bo6 Member

Stone clearly wanted to make the roster more athletic and he's done that so far. Interested to see what we do with our MLE

7. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

I'd give this offseason an A- outside of Morey bouncing and the trade demands.

Swapping MDA, Rivers, RoCo, and Jeff Green for Silas, Wood, Brown, some badly needed draft capital and a flyer on Boogie drastically raises the ceiling on this team (though also lowers the floor) and puts us in a better position for the future.

I agree with everyone saying RoCo was solid, but Wood makes a lot more sense for this team competing with the other West contenders. Betting on a Boogie recovery and playing at 80% of his pre-injury status also is a gamble I'd rather take at this point of the championship window vs. banking on Jeff Green continuing to regularly put it together for the first time in his career at age 34.

#7 ChillyPete32, Nov 27, 2020
  8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Why aren't you adding Ben Mc? He is as close to a pure shooter that could be available. I hope TF will pick the team option on him soon.

Denovo, don grahamleone and dcfma like this.
  9. Sep11ie

Sep11ie Member

I am pretty sure they already guaranteed his 2and year.

saleem, dcfma and D-rock like this.
  10. Sanity2disChaos

Lateral moves. Unproven talent and still few assets.

B-/C+

11. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Rockets are still about 2.5 million UNDER the tax.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I am good. We are at least as good as we were last year.
    I think that last year we lost because of coaching as much as anything
    DanAndToni could not reel in Westbrook .. . . .I think that alone was good for at least one more game
    maybe 2

Rocket River

Patience, s3ts and hakeem94 like this.
  13. MystikArkitect

If the trade rumors hadn't leaked, Tilman wouldn't have done these moves.

14. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I’m pleasantly surprised. All things considered, things looked much worse a couple weeks or so ago.

Patience, s3ts, Corrosion and 2 others like this.
  15. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

The signing of Cousins and how that turns out will tell the true story of good or bad this offseason was.

D-rock likes this.
  16. pass_to_Hakeem

I agree. I wish HOU would flip EGo for a little better reserve player / draft pick

Denovo, ApacheWarrior and daywalker02 like this.
  17. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

I should've, I think that's a playoff worthy roster of 8 in the west (which is all you can ask for).

saleem likes this.
  18. Le$$

Le$$ Member

I mean if Cousins is a 14/10 type production and healthy, and wood is 15/10 with Harden and Westbrook, w/and Gordon stepping up his game. I mean it does put rockets at a better opportunity to win.. Thing is i doubt the trade part influenced anything....

Tilman was told he needed to spend.
    Then Harden made sure he did, but the truth is, even if he is here for 2 more years, they know he wants out, its already been established, that he wants to be gone from houston.

I think he will get traded first if things don't go very well, and the rockets start imploding, which is a true possibility. if Wood kind of struggles in the west, and Cousins completely is washed. IF Harden doesn't seem to really care to be on the court as a rocket, and barely takes over the scoring each night. Bad juju with Gordon and PJ As well. This whole team could implode and be different come April.

Wood could be thou the future of the rockets, while trying to draft good rotational players, and building around a young star.

#18 Le$$, Nov 27, 2020
  19. Sanity2disChaos

I guess you could be right but if we are depending on cousins we might already be in trouble!!

saleem likes this.
  20. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

That's the risk. Cousins showing up in a prove it year that would help him get paid big the following year helps us this upcoming year contend for a championship.

don grahamleone, s3ts and D-rock like this.