1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tilman Fertitta - Please sell the Houston Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bratna8, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

Too early

D-rock likes this.
  2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And isn’t there a giant Tesla gigafactory being built off 35?

3. tinman

Supporting Member

Did Les Alexander move his businesses to Houston?
    Everybody knows what Tilman’s businesses are
    But nobody except for a few of us knew what Les did for his money
    @Reeko @Jontro
    The second richest guy in the world who has two of his companies in Texas wouldn’t relocate the Rockets to a random state

4. Clutch City1993

Supporting Member

Indeed. Any business would be wise to move down here with less taxes and cheap labor. Doesnt change the climate and the politics though.

5. tinman

Supporting Member

Money rules above politics
    Ask the NBA

ask all the California residents here in Texas
    If money rules

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Politics = $ + power.

7. tinman

Supporting Member

Steve Balmer bought the clippers cause he had 150 billion in the bank

8. Clutch City1993

Supporting Member

I hope that includes tax revenues for these dinosaur Republicans in power. Medical mar1juana (recreational too obviously) would help Texas tremendously.

9. tinman

Supporting Member

Les sold the Rockets to Tilman cause he’s loaning money to Tilman to get further interest payments

Les Alexander was in the student loan business
    You don’t loan money to rich people cause they can pay it back quickly
    You loan it people who can’t pay it back quickly and earn interest over 15 or 30 years

derp likes this.
  10. tinman

Supporting Member

You’re still questioning why a guy who would be richer than all the nba owners combined would care if in a scenario allows him to buy a nba team in Texas

did Steve Balmer care when he bought the forum in Inglewood for 500 mill from Knicks owner Steve Dolan so he can just tear it down and build a billion dollar stadium for the clippers ?

there’s less clippers fans than rockets fans by far
    And the rockets are the only game in Houston

the lakers will always have the advantage in fans and power in that city

But that doesn’t matter if you are richer than every owner in the nba like Steve Balmer

11. tinman

Supporting Member

Do any of you know the crap it took to get Toyota center built ?
    Only a few remember @Clutch
    then I’m asking you to use your math skills and see how easy a dude who has more money than several countries can build like 10 of them with chump change
    In the pockets of his shorts
    how many billionaires does it cost to build a $235 million dollar Toyota center ?

12. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I’ve been here since 07. It’s become another world since then.

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

the aspect of that deal I have never understood? Why did he not restart the franchise with a rebooting new name???

14. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

No he'd relocate us on the moon

15. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

16. s3ts

s3ts Member

First, this is a bad time for anyone to buy the Rockets.

Secondly, if you buy the team, you buy it and at least go watch the games as a fun activity. Houston has to be one of the worst places to be doing this. I mean, you may live in a sexy location, but its still Houston.

Again, all of this from the perspective of a crazy rich person. If I'm rich, I prioritize my lifestyle. Houston is basically the worst, not sexy at all.

17. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Does this dipshit seriously wear his stupid sport coat by a ****ing fire.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

This is a hypothetical situation
    with the 2nd richest person on earth

thanks, your opinion that if you were rich you wouldn't live in houston. Les Alexander really didn't live in Houston and he was the owner for many years.
    and les was not sexy
    @Jontro

19. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

Give him props. All things considered things look a lot brighter than 3 weeks ago with the trade demands.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Bullshit. You know Austin as well as you know Houston. In other words, you don’t know dick, with all due respect.

As for the Warriors, they just moved into a $1.4 billion dollar 18,500 seat arena actually in San Francisco. It’s on 4 square blocks in the Mission district they were lucky to find, because that sized property almost never becomes available there. Chase Bank reportedly paid them $300 million for 20 years of naming rights. They’ve built a couple of office towers, a hotel, restaurants, the works.

Guess what? They self-financed it. The whole thing. While ownership has deep pockets, this is still a huge gamble. The Plague combined with the injuries and Durant leaving has been a huge hit they couldn’t have seen coming.

So they are doing what they must do. Spending what it takes to put a good team on the court and hoping that after this season the fans will be at the packed arena. There’s 40,000 fans on a waiting list to buy season tickets. To buy the season tickets, they pay a membership fee, with half the fees being $15,000 or less, the other half more, way more. The team pays back the fee over 30 years. No other team as done anything like this, to my knowledge. Luxury boxes are 7 figures. They are bought up. 5,000 single seat tickets are available for each game. That’s it and you can imagine what they will go for after being bought up by scalpers.

So they need the frickin’ team playing in the Chase Arena before a packed house of screaming fans as soon a possible. It doesn’t surprise me that they are shelling out a ton for the luxury tax. The fans are expecting a playoff caliber team. A good team. A team fun to watch. A team a least within the conversation of being in the Western Conference Finals. Like for all the owners, this is a nightmare for the Warriors. A massive financial hit. Even as deep as their pockets are, I’ve read that the season after the one we’re going into now has to have things back to normal, or they will be hip deep in trouble.

Lot’s of teams with troubles right now, even some of the rich ones, which currently doesn’t describe our owner, in my opinion. Fertitta is certainly getting hammered financially. He’s in the worst possible business to have during a pandemic, and he’s already on his back foot. He doesn’t want to spend what he needs to in order to surround Harden with the talent we need to have in order to make a strong run in the playoffs. From his point of view, regardless of what he tells the public, it’s money he just doesn’t have. That means trouble in the Bayou City.

I don’t like how he forced the Westbrook trade on Morey, and when Morey did the deal Tilman wanted, the fool wouldn’t let Morey expand the deal. It would have been the perfect time to do so. Fertitta said no. The guy thinks he knows everything about everything. I think he sucks as an owner and I hope he sells the team. Texas has many Billionaires, and some from outside the state have become very interested in Texas as a place to do business. One of them could very likely buy the team if Ferntits decides to sell. Could be a guy like Elon Musk. His business interests in Texas are becoming larger all the time. Could be someone else. Someday it’ll happen. If we’re lucky.

I was born and raised in Houston and still love the city, still have good friends and close relatives there, but I moved to Austin in June of 1980. I had been coming to Austin going back to the 1960’s. Finally decided to move here, since I loved it so much. Better fit for our lifestyle and it wasn’t flat. Even in 1980, when it had begun to grow, it was so different. Rush Hour actually lasted about an hour, an hour and a half, maybe, on a bad day. I knew all the shortcuts, so it rarely took me that long to get to the capital to take my S.O. to lunch. When most of the UT students left campus during the summer, for 3 months there was a very noticeable drop in traffic.

Today, it’s still the only city where I’d live in Texas. Hordes of people are coming here from the West Coast and they seem to love it. I wish they’d quit coming. Of course, I’ve been wishing that for several years now. Good thing I’m retired and a lot of our property taxes are frozen. Real estate here has become crazy expensive, but not for those from the west coast. They think they’ve died and gone to heaven.

Calling Austin, or Houston, for that matter, garbage is just displaying amazing ignorance.

#140 Deckard, Nov 28, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
    D-rock likes this.