1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Knicks working on S&T deal with Rockets for Rivers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Nov 25, 2020.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

No clue. The Warriors were out of the bubble.

Edit: checked out his Instagram account. He has a workout video from oct 13th where he looks similar to his Warriors highlights.

#81 don grahamleone, Nov 26, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    saleem and D-rock like this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Randle is undersized at 6'8 for the 5 and not an explosive finisher/roller/lob threat. And for an undersized 5, Randle is worthless at switching or defending PnR.

Younger player than EGo but his mid range game is a very poor fit for current Rockets system.

But that's just me. Who knows how this system will change but all I know is that Randle's game is a paint clogger. He is just not a modern type of player.

There is a reason why even the woeful Knicks are giving up so soon with a young talented player and drafted his replacement in last draft.

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Thanks, that’s encouraging.

don grahamleone likes this.
  4. saleem

Okay, thanks.

5. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

I thought you could but you can’t.

6. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Everything, but the Villanova part... #hoyasaxa

7. saleem

He can come off the bench to score when needed. It doesn’t matter, he is unlikely to be traded for Austin.

8. j@amc

j@amc Member

I'm a little puzzled by your eval of Randle. While his game has plenty of holes, he strikes me as a productive rebounder (averaging 9.7 boards a game). When he goes to the rim off the bounce, he finishes a lot of plays (63% inside of three feet). That's way higher than our average below-the-rim forward from the Rockets--like Tucker or even Ryan Anderson.

He's young, has a good handle (for a true 6'8 250), is a quick leaper, and can initiate offense in the post or at the top of the key. He's one of those guys that you can know is going to the rim, there's little that a defender can do about it, especially if a guard has made a switch.

Here's a game link against Miami, who we know is a good defensive team. The tape is not a Randle highlight show, so you'll see the good, bad, and ugly. Granted, Randle is no team savior, but I see more than enough that would make him an interesting piece on a good team.

While Randle takes bad shots and doesn't space the floor (though he did make 38% of corner threes in the bubble), he gives you something different out of the forward position. He won't be pushed out of the way on a drive to the basket and can hold his ground capably. If the Rockets are dealing with the Knicks and could come away with Randle, I'd be pleased.

9. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Here is a New York post article on Knicks concern as to how Toppin and Randle can coexist. I mentioned that on draft night. Why so many “Bigs” when you need a point guard?

If you listen to their talking heads one makes the point that Toppin is a high flying dunker. But so is Mitchell and they
    choose not to play him. Now we have two of them (paraphrasing).

They also talk about Austin Rivers signing.

https://nypost.com/2020/11/25/obi-toppins-coexistence-with-julius-randle-a-cause-for-knicks-concern/

D-rock likes this.
  10. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

We aren't right at the apron amount yet. We still have 6 to 7 million. We could sign and tragedy Rivers without ever going over the apron amount.

Note: in a sign and trade, everything is one atomic transaction. They don't view it as a sign and then a trade (two transactions). All that would matter for Houston was if they were under the apron after the trade.

The issue is that we can't exceed the apron for any reason for the remainder of the year. The Rockets will most likely leave a gap below the $139 apron amount in case they need to make an emergency move later in the year.

The typical reasons that you'd want to do a SnT ate:

1. You want to get compensation for a player rather than just lose them. Of course the other team will need to benefit from the SnT or they wont do it.

2.acquire a player that you can't outright sign. Not the case for the Knicks.

3. You want to retain a players Bird rights. I doubt that's the case for NYK.

4. You want to acquire a player without using another exception. Example if we wanted to acquire a player making $2m but not use any of our current TPE then we could roll that trade into the Rivers deal. I doubt that's the case since those TPE are expiring soon.

I see no reason for the Knicks to want a SnT so if there is a reason to make it into a trade, I'd expect the compensation to go to NY.

NBA GM's are way smarter than me on cap stuff so it might there's a reason that I'm just not seeing. Maybe Bima will see a reason.

#90 aelliott, Nov 26, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  11. aelliott

Yeah, they could do that but it seems like a lot of trouble just to create a $2.8m exception.

We'd have to give NY something as compensation to make it worth their while.

It would be a way to acquire a player making $2.8m or below during the season as long as it didn't push us over the tax apron.

D-rock likes this.
  12. aelliott

If NY is going to absorb Gordon's salary then you say thank you and do it.

Though it sounds like NY's strategy is to go all on in the '21 free agency. Hard to believe that the time up $18m in salary for multiple years rather than having it as cap space.

D-rock likes this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Thanks to @Vivi for directing this to my attention.

amaru and don grahamleone like this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

15. JW86

JW86 Member

Gerald Green is #15!

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rivers SnT would include House with Omari Spellman (+ Evans) going to Houston.

17. SRR21

SRR21 Member

Maybe it cracks the door for another trade.
    TPE or 2nd rounder
    Cap space has been the Knicks best player for a while now. Every year have space but no star signing.

D-rock likes this.
  18. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

They need wings who are experienced. House is a knucklehead no doubt but he still has value. I’d let Rivers walk for nothing unless the move (sign & trade) allowed me to add another wing.

amaru and D-rock like this.
  19. saleem

No thanks. House is talented and underrated. It sucks what he did, but I'm willing to give him a chance under Silas. If he shows discipline and plays well, he can be retained or traded since his value will go up.

20. saleem

Yes, but things are starting to look better for them.