1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bring Rick Smith Back

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by coachbadlee, Nov 25, 2020.

1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I have been saying this for the longest. Rick Smith built this team only for the owners and coach to tear it down. Everything Texans left when he did. Now that we've gotten rid of the problem, it's time to bring back the solution.

Mr.Pringles likes this.
  2. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

What’s up with Houston fans always wanting to bring people back that had their chance?

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

He never had a chance with OB here. Nobody did.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  4. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

He was here before BOB.

5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Honestly, given the ownership situation and environment on Kirby, idk if anyone could do much better than Rick Smith did. He would at least set a base line that I could tolerate. Thats an improvement.

coachbadlee and Red.Glare like this.
  6. McNultyisDrunk

McNultyisDrunk Contributing Member

Yes, let's bring back Godfather Rick and keep it in the family.

Splendid idea! Your best one ever!

7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Epitome of average. No thanks

8. Texanstradamus

That Duane brown trade was the cause of the downfall in picks and trades no thanks need some new blood not old

9. htownbball

htownbball Member

You think he really wanted to trade him? Or was he ordered to by Mcnair?

Since he's left, our drafting has turned to ****. Smith was the only one pounding the table for Watson. I doubt he wants back in on this **** show

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

It's not about new or old. It's about what works. Smith was doing his job. He was just overshadowed by Bob and the good ol' McNairs.

11. Red.Glare

Red.Glare Member

I would hate to have Rick Smith back. But after reading what "Coach" had to say, he makes some sense. Rick might be the only one who could gain control over Easterby, this organization and influence Cal. I don't trust Cal's judgment and ability to oversee this franchise. I worry about who he'll pick and blindly follow next. Rick was a middle of the road GM at worst. I don't think Rick would quickly, if ever, get us to a Super Bowl, but he'd likely be better than a new GM caught between Easterby, Cal and the new coach. Knowing the McNairs as we do, we could easily end up in a different version of the same situation we just got out of. Does anyone truly know if Rick would be welcomed back into the McNair fold? Assuming Rick would even want to.

coachbadlee likes this.
  12. blackistan

blackistan Member

ESPN needs to do a e60 or 30 for 30 on how BOB single handedly has destroyed this franchise

macho GRANDE and coachbadlee like this.
  13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Bring him back to do what?

14. conquistador#11

Underappreciated for sure but that ship has sailed. I wish him well in his next gig.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So that we at least go back to hitting on first round picks. If not for Rick Smith, the Texans wouldn't have Watson right now.

I'm not saying bringing him back would be the greatest idea, but it's a hell of a lot better than what we've had since.

desihooper and coachbadlee like this.
  16. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe he can come back in an EVP role and consult on first round selections?!

conquistador#11 likes this.
  17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

To right the wrongs of this organization. How do we know that Rick wasn't good drafting in the late rounds? Some or all of that could be blamed on coaching because we know for a fact that there was a problem there.