1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

55% of Americans have shares in the stock market...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by London'sBurning, Nov 18, 2020.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you probably never will.

2. HTM

HTM Member

More American should be investing in the stock market. For most, nothing is stopping them.

Obviously some percentage of the population needs every dollar then earn to sustain the bare necessities of life but what percentage of Americans is that?

A lot of Americans are absolute dipshits with money. Some dudes working as bureaucrats, teachers or janitors making uninspiring money retire with millions and some people making 6 figures don’t have a pot to piss in.

It’s not all sad sack cases. There’s plenty of financial irresponsibility going on in this country.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Some? As in like, two?

Deckard likes this.
  4. HTM

HTM Member

I don't know that they keep a list of such individuals anywhere.... I know they exist and that anyone else can do it too.

https://www.cnbc.com/2016/08/29/janitor-secretly-amassed-an-8-million-fortune.html

and I know Andrew Hallam author of "Millionaire Teacher" was a millionaire by 40 working as a school teacher.

These dudes aren't aliens. Anyone can do what they did.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

The fact that these guys wrote bestselling books and get featured in articles kind of completely defeats the idea that they aren't the exception to the rule.

Deckard and Buck Turgidson like this.
  6. HTM

HTM Member

You have its completely backwards.

In fact, the entire point of the book and illustrating the janitors story is that anyone can do what they did.

These guys didn’t just hit a winning stock or something.

They did exactly what anyone else is capable of doing.

They lived frugally, didn’t make any financial mistakes and reaped the rewards on mediocre (at best) incomes.

What did they do that anyone else isn’t capable of?

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

People who do something easy and common don't get articles written about them or tell stories that garner a lot of attention.

"Can" is irrelevant here.

8. HTM

HTM Member

Who said it was easy?

Most anyone can do it. People make the choice not to. That’s on them.

How is “can” irrelevant? I came in this thread to point out people of middling incomes can become millionaires if they are financially prudent and gave examples of people doing so.

Nothing is stopping the vast majority besides their own financial imprudence.

#68 HTM, Nov 25, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  9. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Oh I can see negatives that could come in place. What if an entirely new section of government was created for instance. Like the Treasury of Long Term Investment or something.

Then what if we had saved $4 trillion into this type of program that was diversified in its investments into the stock market, and found it was even successful, but then we get another Trumpy-bear in office.

Is the chief guy that operates Long Term Investment department appointed by the elected President? Could you imagine Jared Kushner or Ivanka Trump managing $4 trillion investments into the stock market? I could see so much insider trading result from this. How do you protect U.S. citizens from something like that when we already have evidence of it occurring at the Senate level unpunished? What if due to the sheer amount of wealth invested into the economy, the chief guy that operates this department becomes more powerful than even the President? Does this force lobbyists to shift less of their attention to the Senate and Presidential level and instead focus more on this department? Is this position appointed by the Senate and House? Will this position have a term limit?

I could also see it never helping the demographic of people I think would benefit most from this type of program. If we continue to incarcerate individuals at the level we do, what if some really nefarious people opted to deliberately keep felons in the penal system for even longer sentences just so they never regain their freedom and get access to their 401k?

What if we never develop programs that truly aid in minimizing homelessness, again creating extra hoops for the disenfranchised to never even get access to their portion of that $4 trillion investment again assuming this program is even successful enough to eventually have $4 trillion invested into the economy?

What if this program incentivizes a massive increase in gun sales to an even larger population of Americans making law enforcement even more trigger happy in otherwise non-lethal situations?

I mean when I think of this program being successful, it wouldn't be the sole success of having less incarcerated Americans, less broken homes, less homelessness and less parity in wealth among Americans. I see it as piece to a still very incomplete puzzle to help address the above concerns.

I do see the topic of consumer debt propping up the economy mentioned somewhat frequently in the D&D and do think this type of program would help address that issue. Clearly we have a large segment of the U.S. population that either doesn't have the know how to invest some of their savings into the stock market, or simply lack the funds because they live paycheck to paycheck. So even if say this program was implemented and it never helped the incarcerated or the homeless, it would still be a net positive for Americans either too ignorant to invest a portion of their savings in the stock market, or people who again are living paycheck to paycheck. At least those that do live paycheck to paycheck currently would have a little extra monthly allowance beyond what Social Security could provide entering retirement.

#69 London'sBurning, Nov 25, 2020
  10. London'sBurning

What if this made up treasury of long term finance owned enough investment to claim majority shares in Tesla or Amazon, overtaking Elon and Bezos in business decisions going forward? That's a realistic possibility for some portion of business owners if this program was implemented. Definitely more realistic with your start up companies that have shares in the stock market and eventually blow up to become the next Google, Apple, Amazon or Tesla. What do you do in situations that will inevitably happen like that where the Department of Long Term Finance is the majority shareholder?

Again, this is the fun part to me in playing out thought experiments like this. No lives are economically devastated by talking this out. Again maybe the Pros to something like this implemented outweigh the Cons.

Maybe there are feasible solutions to the problems I bring up if we did try a program like this out.

#70 London'sBurning, Nov 25, 2020
  11. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

@London'sBurning I have a lot of experience with cpf. It's a forced retirement savings program for employed ppl, but the savings can be used earlier for buying a home, medical expenses, and a limited portion on alternative investments like etfs. Interest rates on savings are better than bank rates, but not what you'd get by investing in shares. What it doesn't address is people who do not work, like housewives.

In the end, a forced savings program can reduce the number of stupid decisions people make, but to solve the economic issues you want to solve will require something else. Imo, it goes back to improving productivity and the value of each worker to keep competitive in the global economy. How? Invest in education, infrastructure (esp internet access), etc.

12. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Dude the GOP has zero interest in helping the average Joe or Joanna. And what are you referencing as net negatives? Unlike tax cuts for the rich, money dispersed to poor or middle class goes right back into the economy. Programs like SNAP generate over a dollar for each dollar spent.

Deckard and London'sBurning like this.
  13. London'sBurning

I guess I'm used to stereotypes about government like how inefficient it is with the taxes it collects and how poorly run programs that are financed through tax dollars are. Once again, I'm less concerned with being right at all times as much as I am interested in maybe collectively coming up with feasible ideas to help remedy issues that are common among most Americans. Debt is a big issue. Long term investment is a big issue. Retirement concerns is a big issue. Americans that come from broken homes where no parents invested financially in their children is a big issue. Perhaps the Cons outweigh the Pros to an idea like what I brought up. At least then there's some thought put into why the Cons outweigh the Pros instead of poo flinging over which side is correct.

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

87% of Americans have loose change in their couches

jiggyfly and peleincubus like this.
  15. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

I'm down with the sentiment for sure. Just so we're clear. I'd be down with your idea if I thought it had a chance of passing. It's worse than social security, mainly because, and I just saw this happen, if you're going to retire and it hits right on a downturn, your principal gets eaten up and then you're ****ed. It's why pensions are preferrable for workers and why business has gone all out to destroy pensions.

But hey, start a petition. Hayesstreet will sign it.

Deckard and London'sBurning like this.
  16. London'sBurning

Oh yea I wouldn't want to eliminate social security. It's just what people get out of Social Security is a flat monthly amount that may not entirely cover their cost of living. This is just more supplemental income so less Americans are dependent on the flat $1,000/month to survive and less dependent on charity from friends and family. Why I think this could get past the GOP is it would help voters in rural counties that work low wage jobs with little to no extra income to invest long term. This starts off going directly into investment in the stock market until the age of 16 or 18. It's a positive return on investment like SNAP, so not wasteful spending. It would even help your more nefarious motivated members of politics that profit from the prison industry. This would incentivize those types to lock up the incarcerated for even longer sentences so they are unable to tap into their 401k.

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

It's a common conservative principle to think that anything can be accomplished, by anyone, if but for their own gumption and force of will.

This is simply not true.

Further, something being technically possible to achieve does not by any stretch mean that the possibility of achieving it is optimal for society.

For example, we put a lot of arbitrary restrictions on certain professions. Healthcare is a good example. Many, many needless walls and obstacles are erected by that profession to keep scarcity artificially high.

Do I have the opportunity to become a doctor? Sure. Is it likely at all I will become one? No. Especially not if I am born into disadvantageous circumstances.

Most people cannot do most things. Especially things which are difficult, such as retiring with multiple millions as a person working a job that puts you in the bottom half of wage earners in America.

You holding up a few shining examples of people achieving this and propagating it as normal or easy (make no mistake, your "anyone can do this" attitude is conveying exactly that, whether you mean it or not) is the opposite of helpful in furthering the goal of making sure more working class people can retire comfortably.

If this were easy, it would be commonplace. A janitor or teacher retiring with multiple millions of dollars gets an article written about them or a big book publishing deal for the sheer reason it is difficult and uncommon.

If your argument is "hey, the door is open, not my fault you're not walking through it" then maybe you should stop for a moment and think about why the vast majority of people aren't taking your seemingly simple and easy-to-follow advice. Who is more likely to be wrong? You, or those tens of millions of people? Perhaps the barrier to entry is a lot more complicated than you think.

Deckard, jiggyfly, mdrowe00 and 3 others like this.
  18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Yes they are stereotypes for a reason. People in power who want to maintain the status quo want citizens to hold these beliefs that corporatocracy is more efficient while government is a waste. Reagan, the og charismatic dumbass before Donald, really hammered this home for the conservative movement to the point where it's deeply ingrained in more than half of American heads.

#78 fchowd0311, Nov 26, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    London'sBurning and subtomic like this.
  19. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

1% own close to 90% of the stock.
    That is fine as 55% own at least a few shares or have money in etf's or mutual funds..
    90% of Americans have a bank account.

All is fine. Be content.

20. Exiled

Exiled Member