1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

OLED, QLED and other TVs - Recommendations and News

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Yung-T, Oct 18, 2020.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have tv that outputs 120hz, i don't have a next gen yet, but the xbox 1 x can output 1440p 120hz on my display.

the LG TVs put out firmware updates all the time

clutch citizen likes this.
  2. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

looks like the latest firmware corrected the stuttering issue in VRR but not the flickering in the blacks (if I’m understanding correctly, this is caused by gamma shift or raised black level).

I’m still torn between the CX and Sony A8H. Sony doesn’t have HDMI 2.1, but if it can do 4K 60hz with with no problem, I guess I’m good with that. It also outputs 1440 120 without issue, even better. I’m just afraid of screen tearing with games that really push that 4K 60. I really wanted VRR to work. I’m trying to buy this thing today haha

Blatz likes this.
  3. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

4. shorerider

shorerider Member

FWIW I bought both tvs you are deciding on. Returned the CX. The A8H was simply a nicer picture in my opinion. For some reason I couldn't go more than a half hour watching the LG without getting a headache. Could've been a setting issue, but I'm not one for fiddling, and out of the box the A8H was awesome.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The factory motion settings on some of the TV's these days are a SIN. Did you return a 65in? If so... oh lawd, what a project.

Sajan likes this.
  6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

tmoney1101 and Blake like this.
  7. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

I went ahead and bought the CX. I agree the A8H has a better picture. There seems to be more texture IMO. They’re both great TVs. LG does seem to require more setting up. I just could t pass up on the HDMI 2.1 even with all its flaws currently.

if I wasn’t so impulsive, I’d recommend next gen console gamers wait for next year’s TVs so the brands could improve the HDMI 2.1 and other gaming features like VRR. Seems like 2020 models were future-proofed in a cost-cutting way. Now that the next gen console hardware is out, they’ve got a baseline to target when it comes to building the TVs

tinman and Blatz like this.
  8. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Blake likes this.
  9. droxford

droxford Member

I have a 65" LG OLED Tv and the picture is absolutely unbelievable. I'm am constantly amazed at how the colors pop and how dark the blacks are.

Also, it has 3D (I LOVE 3d Movies) and with the OLED, the 3d looks better than a movie theater. They stopped making 3D tv's after the 2016 models. Their 3d is passive, so I can just use the same glasses that are used at theaters.

I'm thankful that mine is OLED, 4k, 120 Hz, and 3d. I also like the LG interface a lot. TV has lots of great features (like zoom) that I use a LOT. Just a friggin' fantastic tv.

#149 droxford, Nov 25, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    tinman and Ziggy like this.
  10. CoolGuy

CoolGuy Contributing Member

Would you all get a 77” oled or 85” lcd? I’ll be sitting about 12’ away.

11. tinman

Supporting Member

OLED

shorerider likes this.
  12. shorerider

shorerider Member

Ha - no it was a 55". It was such a big purchase that I wanted to make sure I got it right. First tv I bought in over 20 years.

13. shorerider

shorerider Member

My god man OLED all the way.

tinman likes this.
  14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Most tv's out of the box have their settings all jacked up. They're usually set up to where they'll look good in a bright department store or something. You almost always have to adjust settings on new tv's. There are threads in forums dedicated to people passing on suggested settings for various models.

Yung-T likes this.
  15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I'd recommend waiting for 2021 even if it isn't about hdmi 2.1.
    2021 will rumoredly see Mini LED and new tech hitting the mass market for an affordable price, so traditional LCD and OLED are on the verge of death.

16. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

That completely depends on the models, which ones do you have in mind?

#156 Yung-T, Nov 26, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  17. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

With all due respect, the guy didn't even mention any brand or model, so don't just say OLED and at least ask for details.
    There's good OLED and **** tier bad brand OLED that only has the name really or is outdated.

Ziggy likes this.
  18. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

This, you see a ton of ppl blame their TV brand or LCD vs OLED for issues with color or brightness, when it in reality often comes down to proper settings.
    Basically every out of the box TV has horrendous picture settings and needs to be properly adjusted (color, gamma, white point calibration etc), otherwise your picture will be very far from the intended look and natural colour spaces.

If you haven't looked up proper settings for your TV yet, you are really missing out.

Ziggy likes this.
  19. tinman

Supporting Member

yup, i usually go to RTINGS or AVSFORUM to try out their settings.
    then i adjust according to my eye.

20. Sajan

Sajan Member

On the LG choose the Expert Dark Or Bright picture mode and you are already in a great spot. It turns off all the stupid enhancements.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/cx-oled/settings

Don’t copy anyone’s white balance settings. Each panel is diff and you might be making your picture worse.

Ziggy likes this.