1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JJ Watt is done as an elite player

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DaDakota, Oct 4, 2020.

1. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Trying to think of which other d-lineman or edge rusher consistently gets double teamed as much as JJ and Aaron Donald. I think at this point it's mainly just those two...consistently. Mack, Chandler J, TJ, Bosa(N), don't get double teamed as much or as frequently as those two. They could truly call holding on just about every play involving JJ and Aaron Donald.

2. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

3. BenignDMD

BenignDMD Contributing Member

Heard on the Local news this AM that JJ requested a trade?

4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Really? Thought I heard yesterday no one has requested.

5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Send JJ to the Packers it makes a ton of sense for both teams. I'd bet they would even give you a 2 for him right now they need the help on that side of the ball.

Pittsburgh is the fan fave landing spot, but Pitt doesn't really need more help and wouldn't feel as inclined to give up anything of value.

Love JJ man - he will always be a Texan and it sucks that this team could never get over the hump while in his prime. He deserves a shot at a ring and that feeling of having games mean something again.

6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Could totally see a Reggie White trajectory if he went to Pack

7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I thought the same, obviously Reggie was still in his prime, but Packer fan could buy into JJ for that same sentimental reason plus the hometown connections, and I think with a newfound exuberance JJ could relive some glory for that squad. He might have 3 more solid years to give.

8. blackistan

blackistan Member

Texans wasted AJ career then Dhop and JJ. Hope it stops at Deshaun

cmoak1982 likes this.
  9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

That’s the crazy thing, Reggie was older than JJ when he joined. If there aren’t injuries I could see it rejuvenating JJ and finishing out a HOF career.

10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

interesting parallels - so much time I guess I forgot how old Reggie was when he went to Green Bay - sure remember the dominance though.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  11. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

NFL trade deadline proposals: Melvin Ingram to Ravens; Yannick Ngakoue on move
    https://theathletic.com/2142882/2020/10/22/nfl-trade-deadline-proposals-melvin-ingram-to-ravens-yannick-ngakoue-on-move/?

Texans trade DL J.J. Watt to the Saints for a second-round pick and a conditional third

I mentioned this one previously in The Athletic’s trade deadline roundtable. In all likelihood, Houston will try to get its house in order this offseason before making a decision on Watt. And if they’re going to trade him now, it could take an even sweeter offer than the one proposed here. But the Texans don’t pick until the third round of the 2021 draft, and they don’t have a lot of options to acquire significant draft capital. Watt averaged just eight games per season from 2016 to 2019 and is 31 years old. A forward-thinking organization with realistic expectations (and to be clear, there’s no evidence to suggest the Texans fit that description) would consider moving him now. The alternative would be to pay Watt $17.5 million in 2021 (the final year of his contract) and then maybe lose him without getting anything in return.

As for the Saints, they have shown time and again that they are making moves to win now, wisely embracing the idea that the world might end before the 2021 season. New Orleans ranks 16th in ESPN’s pass-rush win rate metricand 25th in overall defense, according to TruMedia’s Expected Points Added (EPA) model. We know they looked into adding Clowney before the season. Watt could be a nice second option. Pairing him with Cameron Jordan would be tough for opposing offenses to deal with.

12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Saints are my NFC team and my grandpas team, I could live with that. A 2nd and a 3rd would be nice, even if it’s lower.

13. Juxtaposed Jolt

Bumping this for the lulz.

burnshroom, gatsby, pgabriel and 3 others like this.
  14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Kinda looks right.

[​IMG]

conquistador#11 likes this.
  15. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Kiss my ass, and happy Thanksgiving!

pgabriel, burnshroom, gatsby and 4 others like this.
  16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Not so fast...

pgabriel and cmoak1982 like this.
  17. Roc Paint

Elite players are the only ones that can do that kind of stuffing ;)

pgabriel likes this.
  18. Roc Paint

Wrong thread

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

He has gotten quicker as the season has progressed

Romo hit the nail on the head, he has no help

20. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Green Bay regretting that they didn't want to trade a 1st for him and a 2nd for Fuller