1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas BBQ

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Feb 22, 2010.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i remember a place called Bar-B-Cutie and Backyard Burger

2. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

It takes like 5 minutes with a cold brisket and a sharp knife! I always buy packer briskets and just trim it right before I season it. Pre-trimmed in my experience takes too much fat off but to each his/her own!

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Never said it was hard and understand its part of the process, as I usually get packer briskets as well. Getting up to grab the remote control takes 2 seconds, but sometimes you just dont want to do it. Its just tiresome to prepare, smoke and watch a brisket now in days. The fun was learning how to do it and getting it right.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

Yall do own a knife, right?

You should also save all of your extra beef/pork/poultry fat, to use for later.

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yes... I agree :

6. Buck Turgidson

Years and years ago, when one of my relatives bought their turkey frying pot/kit, the first thing they did with it was deep fry a prime rib in beef tallow. It was pretty damn good.

Dr of Dunk likes this.
  7. tinman

Supporting Member

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I like Franklin... nay LOVE Franklin, but ... he could come over to my house and cook it, and I still wouldn't pay that much for brisket. lol.

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

So... I hate to do this, but ... it's true :

A week or two ago, I used my Instant Pot to make "bbq" ribs. I just yanked the membrane on the rack of ribs, split the rack in half, put some store-bought bbq rub on it, put the ribs in the pot with a bit of apple cider vinegar and water at the bottom for 20 minutes, pulled them out when done, put some bbq sauce on it, put it in the oven and broiled for a couple of minutes, pulled them out and ate them. Most buttery, tender, ribs I've ever had anywhere. And simple as hell to make.

Yes, it was a sin, but like most sins, it was sooooo goooooood. :D

The only thing I may do differently next time is leave the ribs in for less time. They were falling apart as I pulled them out of the pot. It was nuts, they were so tender.

10. Roscoe Arbuckle

Are you in Houston? I have to say I've been loving me the Ribs at Relish. I can't smoke at my place, so that's the best I can do, but they are so addictive.

Big Shout out to the Pit Room, too. While their Q is good, their elote is the best in town.

11. tinman

Supporting Member

it's probably for people who live where there's no good bbq and don't want to leave their house to get bbq

12. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Yeah that elote is amazing. You should try it at El Topo, along with their damn good Barbacoa tacos. (Rest of the menu is meh)

Roscoe Arbuckle likes this.
  13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

My niece ordered Franklins for part of her wedding festivities. It was most people's first experience with it due to the line. Pretty much everyone came up to me and said that they liked mine better. What I realized is BBQ at a restaurant will never be better than someone that knows how to do it at home because people like me get to cherry pick the best 2-4 briskets at the store, and can watch each one individually. Franklins has to watch probably a 100 briskets a day so there is no way to make each one amazingly good.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  14. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

you mind smoke one for me if i bring one over? Hell, i'll even split the brisket with ya.

15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

He's gotta cook the brisket and deliver it to you...and you're only going to pay for half of the meat?

EDIT: To be fair, I read that wrong. Thought you were saying for him to smoke one and bring it to you.

#1855 leroy, Nov 24, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    King1 likes this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

splitting the brisket is pretty magnanimous of you.

17. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

for a family of 4, I can't imagine eating a 12 lb brisket. So sure why not.

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I think this is similar to every other cuisine on the planet where everyone has their likes and dislikes, what they're used to, etc. I know people that would prefer stuff like Luther's (is that still around?), Dickey's, Spring Creek (Dallas), etc. than Franklin, Snow's, etc. I don't get it, but ok. Many are more about the sauce than the meat. I don't get that either. Then just get a bottle of the sauce and sip it. What makes it worse is people that debate what bbq is, what defines great bbq, bbq regions, etc. I know co-workers that would basically crap on bbq because it didn't have a smoke ring. I'm like wth? Seriously? It's like it didn't matter if it tasted good -- it had to have the bark, smoke ring, yada yada, etc that they've been told makes for "good bbq". Just like all the other myths about great steaks ("sear it to lock the juices in!"), bbq, etc. that get repeated because... well, because everybody knows how to cook them. :D

I had some hispanic co-workers who didn't like bbq unless it was barbacoa-style. I had another one who had 4 grills that probably totaled over $10k (BGE, Traeger, and a couple of custom-built ones) that swore he made bbq better than anything in Austin. I tried it, and while I agreed it was moist and was decent, it had no flavor to it and was way too fatty for me. Again, different tastes.

I will say, that after trucking around the state and a few other states in bbq hunts, I haven't really had anything better than Franklin and Snow's for brisket. That's impressive considering how many briskets they churn out, too. And I'll still say, like I stated in a previous post above, my favorite ribs I've probably ever had were made in an instant pot in about 20 mins and thrown in an oven for 3-4 minutes afterwards. But then that's not bbq... or is it? lol.

Blake likes this.
  19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

If you think the stuff from Franklins is the best brisket you ever had, you need to hang out with guys that are really into BBQ. Guys that spend thousands of dollars on gear and even more on meat looking for perfection.
    If you are in Austin area, sure. Literally it takes no more work to do 4 briskets as it takes to do 1 brisket. No need to split it with me because I'm not even a brisket guy. I pretty much make them for family and friends since they love them so much.

20. Buck Turgidson

I believe it. Years ago, a housemate wanted ribs and I didn't have a smoker at the time...so other housemate says "I got this". Marinated them thai-style (soy, fish sauce, honey, cilantro, serranos, ginger, garlic, lemongrass etc...) and used a steamer basket in a big pot. Then threw them on the grill and used the reduced marinade as a glaze. Indirect heat for a bit and then over the flame to get a bit of char. I was blown away, still make those every once in a while.