1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Next Texans Head Coach (and GM)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Nimo

Nimo Member

It's not an excuse, when the numbers are right in front of your face. Wins and losses are a team stat; not a QB stat. (In the last five games, against better defenses, the Seahawks are 2-3. Wilson has an 11-7 TD/INT ratio) When you look at Deshaun's individual numbers, they are pretty close to Wilson. Dude has had the best numbers in the league since O'Brien got fired. 12 total touchdowns and no interceptions in five games. Wilson has four games total this season with no interceptions. Wilson has had a game where he scored 0 touchdowns and threw 2 interceptions. They have both had their share of clunker games.

2. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

There are no bad vibes. Just too many rose colored glasses.
    All the things you said first apply to Wilson.
    The Seahawks have a worse Oline and Defense than the Texans do. That’s just facts.
    Both Fuller and Cooks have a higher YPC than Lockett. And are top 23 in the league in yardage-above the likes of Robert Woods, CD Lamb, Mike Evans, Julio Jones (Fuller), AJ Brown, Chase Claypool, JuJu.

In my mind there are two conversations. First, Watson is overpaid for his production and not as good as those in that same pay range. Second, the rebuild is going to basically take up the life of his contract and limit the ability to speed up the rebuild.

3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Again, 5 game cherry pick is not the norm. Second, you claimed passer rating was in favor of Watson-it’s not and it’s by a much bigger margin than QBR.
    You know who has similar or better numbers to Watson?
    Allen, Carr, Tannehill, Ryan, Herbert (better rookie season than Watson) Brees

4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Also, Quarterbacks are the only player assigned wins and losses.
    If you keep comparing Wilson to Watson, I don’t know what to say.
    Compare him to those that are in his peer group I guess.

5. Nimo

Nimo Member

It Is NoT cHeRrY-pIcKiNg, ThErE iS a ReAsOn I pIcKeD fIvE gAmEs. Say it with me: COACHING MATTERS. It's not like I picked every other game or every third game; it is when the problematic coach left the building. When did I claim that passer rating was in favor of Watson? Speaking of similar passer ratings, you better put some respect on Taysum Hill's name. He must be better than Wilson; because of passer rating.

6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

You say it here.

7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

LOL @ Houston having a "good" offensive line. I wish football outsiders wouldnt have gone private behind the pay wall to be able to dig a little deeper and provide some OLINE centric stats to compare, while in brass tacks what you say might be accurate, it still seems to imply a competent unit for Houston, and I assume you watch the games and can attest that "good" should not be applied to the offensive line in Houston. Does Seattle have a "worse" OLine? Okay. YOu can have a doo doo sandwich or a diarrhea milkshake. Lose/Lose.

I would rather have Tyler Lockett than either Fuller or Cooks - regardless of the stats, but I wonder how much the QB has to do with marginal talents being fully utilized?

So now we are going to debate the 31 and 32 ranked defenses this year - great!

Well at least Deshaun was able to hide behind one of the best defenses in the league his first year - oh wait no. 2016 was Brock Osweiler. Damn.

One mans trash is another mans treasure - I think Watson is paid accordingly. If you take away the gross overpays at the LB, RB, WR, and OL into account.

8. Nimo

Nimo Member

Funny that when I go to NFL.com or ESPN.com I don't see wins and losses with the QB stats. They need to step their game up.

9. Nimo

Nimo Member

Did I say he has a better rating? Read it again.

10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Go to Profootbal Reference. Also, most sports fan know this.

11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, you say passer rating doesn’t back you up, after you say PFF and QBR doesn’t back you up.

12. Nimo

Nimo Member

And after that I say he is close. I'm not arguing that Watson is better. I will say that this year their performance has been close.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

And I’m not trying to bash Watson. The last 5 games have been excellent. The numbers aren’t as important as the way he’s been playing, smart decisions for most part.
    If, he continues this play he will be up there in the realm of Wilson, Mahomes and Rodgers.

14. showa13

showa13 Member

For the record I never said Pete Carroll was an offensive coach. I said he was a better coach than BoB.

I have a few questions @cmoak1982
    - Do you think Deshaun would be a better QB than he is now if he were on another team, say the Chiefs?
    - Who would you list as your top QBs in the league, I know you said Deshaun was around 7, I'm just curious.
    - To stay on topic who would you choose as our next coach?

15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I think right now is about as good as he can play. If that is his ceiling I don’t think team change or coach change would do much. Mahomes is still just better, mainly do with arm talent.

Tier 1
    Mahomes
    Wilson
    Rodgers.

Tier 2
    Brady
    Brees
    Allen
    Watson
    Carr
    Tannehill
    Murray
    Big Ben
    Herbert (Still want to see more but is impressive)

And as far as coach I would like to see EB, Brady and that’s pretty much it.

16. showa13

showa13 Member

Is the 2nd tier in order?

17. Nimo

Nimo Member

Agree to disagree. No need to argue.

Proven:
    Mahommes
    Wilson
    Rodgers (might be downgrading soon)

Proven but declining:
    Brady
    Brees
    Ben

Unproven but very impressive and on the rise:
    Watson
    Jackson
    Murray

We know who they are:
    Rivers
    Carr
    Tannehill

Impressive but need more data:
    Herbert
    Burrow
    Lock

18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Not really, just in that tier imo.
    For play this year, he’s middle of second tier.
    For potential and long term, he’s at top of that tier.

showa13 likes this.
  19. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I can agree with most. Jackson is figured out, it’s what I thought would happen with him. He’s not good enough with accuracy and finer details of Quarterback play.

Allen should also be in that tier with Watson and Murray.
    Herbert will join them and possibly pass him if he continues what he’s doing. He’s about to have the best rookie season for a QB ever.

Carr (only 29) And Tannehill are literally performing at the same level as Watson right now overall. They get denigrated for some reason.

edit* Rodgers doesn’t look anywhere close to slowing down and is still the gold standard (Watson high side comparison)

#559 cmoak1982, Nov 24, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  20. showa13

showa13 Member

I like this, I’m just not as high on Lamar as most people are