1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How do the rockets stack up in the current western conference?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pringles09, Nov 24, 2020.

1. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

Back to back lts finals

2. Pringles09

Pringles09 Member

Team should sign hollis jefferson

RudyTBag likes this.
  3. riko

riko Member

You think the Rockets want to trade him? No. It’s the last resort because Harden is the one who asked to be traded. Otherwise there is zero chance the Rockets would even consider a trade if Harden did not ask for a trade.

D-rock likes this.
  4. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

People act like a trade request means a player is definitely gone. Teams can refuse to trade. Players can change their mind. Kobe demanded to be traded from the Lakers in 2007 and then won two more titles in LA. Hell, Hakeem requested a trade in 1992, before winning two titles with Houston. It's not exactly without precedent.

dreamshakin, Pringles, Le$$ and 2 others like this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

i mean every high profile player in the recent modern era has gotten their wish if they wanted to leave their current team. That's just the way it is whether people like it or not. The only question is when

6. riko

riko Member

Not only that supposedly harden is the one who was recruiting Cousins and tried to get Bazemore earlier. That dose not sound like a man who wants to leave does it?

7. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

The “recent modern era” doesn’t include 2007?

Interesting.

8. T for 3

T for 3 Member

But he does want to be traded. And still does. I have said I’d be ok with them holding on to him for the remainder of the deal, but they won’t do that. An offer will come eventually.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

not really. a whole lot has changed in 13 years in case you haven't noticed. Not only in the way the game is being played but more importantly how it's become a players league. The players have more control than ever. you can go down the list of every star player that's made a trade demand. They're gone at some point

10. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Rockets look good on paper with Harden. Always have he is one top 5 players in the NBA. But does he have the heart?. Lot of people say he cant carry a team to the NBA finals. Its yet to be seen. Heck i don't think Lebron could either. Comon he got a chance with Westbrook if Westbrook can throw away his ego, and i thought that's what he was going to do in the first place. He already lead a team and was mvp. Can they get to the Western Finals? This time it looks like the GM, Got the 2 big guys who can rock the rim. No more excuses. If they really do want to win.

Westbrook was injured in the playoffs, so maybe if everyone is healthy this time around. They can pull in as a 3rd seed. Rockets got a break with Thompson in GS. Rockets could squeak by the Clippers if 2 of 2 things happen. Wood becomes a great player, 20-10. Cousins can stay healthy and lead the 2nd unit as 6th man. If these things happen then ya rockets have a shot at the Western Finals. I don't know about getting passed the Lakers, obviously they just don't have the roster. But heck even if its Clippers vs Rockets in 2nd around.

It would be nice to at least make it a 7 game series if Health Prevails. So the thing is going from 4th seed to 3rd seed is obviously the main goal so you can skip the Lakers, and get mentally ready for the other La team. Cousin vs Ibaka is going to be sick. I hope Houston can see this, and even get a chance where chemistry develops and the rockets if they get pass clips, can really give a run for Lakers money. Lets hope for the best come playoff time, IF... Health prevails.

11. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I see your point. I definitely see a path where things could change. I really like the wood and boogie signings. If both those guys pan out with harden to start the year, I could see the Rockets being really good. That could change things. I could also see it going the other way (especially w boogie). So we will have to see. I think I’m gonna do a poll. I am genuinely curious where CF stands on the post deadline roster.

ChillyPete32 likes this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

This starting 5 is not superior to starting 5 in last postseason.

As for bench, Clemons and Tate do not fill me with confidence. Loss of Jeff Green is huge.

Sign Dedmon as Cousins insurance, Bruno as well.

13. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

no way, brabra says there’s more to come

14. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

That's where I'm at. The semi-plausible upside of this team is a decent bit higher than last year right now but the floor is drastically lower. Russ was awesome after the Capela trade until the league shutdown and he could conceivably operate with that kind of space with Wood and kinda with Boogie. We looked great at times with small ball right after the trade but were just getting killed on the glass. If we've still got the ability to open the floor but also have Boogie and Wood rebounding it really could be dangerous. Also, MDA was good and I was one of the minority who really liked the hire for James when we made it even initially, but he straight up got outcoached in the playoffs this year. Silas could be an upgrade, though of course could also turn out much worse.

T for 3 likes this.
  15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

With what they have done this far I'd say they have done pretty good. If this current squad stays together they will have a good chance of competing with LA. If Woods and Cousins meet our realistic expectations (that's it. They dont have to be all stars) they can win it all.

16. pass_to_Hakeem

If no Russ or Harden, HOU will be 8th at best......

17. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

2007 is closer to the last championship than it is to today. 13 years is ancient history. That was a few years before the super team trend started.

18. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Smh tired of that team. Not sure what that team’s issue is other than terrible defense and no true number 2 superstar.

19. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Unless the rockets suck then maybe. Unlikely. Prob in offseason 2021.

20. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Honestly, I feel we are much worse than the Lakers (to be fair, everyone in the West is), and are not demonstrably better than:

Nuggets
    Clippers
    Mavericks
    Pelicans

I also think we'd have a tough time with the Suns. If the season goes poorly, we'll be 7/8 seed, and if it goes well, we'll be a 4/5 seed. Don't think we'll get past the second round without some changes which aren't likely.

D-rock likes this.