1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Biden Cabinet

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Nov 7, 2020.

1. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Not the job of the Fed Chief per
    Low wage job growth was strong. The minimum wage remained at $7.25 w. barely a beep from Obama.. And "no" it is not just for teenagers buying electronic gadgets and games. BTW Obama had the money already approved by Congress (so no recourse to the typical Obama excuse that he did not control both Houses of Congress) that he could have used to bail out all the individuals who had their houses, disproportionately black, but he chose to give it to the banks and Blackrock etc. who bought up the houses and now rent them out to blacks and other lower middle class people

CometsWin likes this.
  2. glynch

The unemployment rate is a much fiddled with statistic. I am old enough to remember when folks in the military were not counted as "employed" but this was changed to make the rate look better. Also the Fed is supposed to be about more than keeping prices high in the stock market to which google: "While the top 1% have always controlled 70% to 80% of stock market value since record-keeping began in 1989, this is the highest level of ownership ever, other than the fourth quarter of 2019, when it was 88.1%" It might be higher in the fourth quarter of 2020.

CometsWin likes this.
  3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I will check them out but I read Greenwald I respect him as a reporter but he has huge ax to grind.

Sirota is good and became familiar with him from MSNBC you know a billionaire outlet.

Naomi Klein I have seen her on the same billionaire outlet and agree with some her ideas, I will check out her writings.

I respect Reich and so did Obama who you seem to despise.

So it seems I am broad in my reading and info yet you denigrate me, why is that?

Because you are sanctimonious and think you have it all figured out?

4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

That's really something you should research yourself since you are the one passing judgment.

What did Yellen do that you disagree with and Obama for that matter.

5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

It does not matter how aggressive a president is if they do not have the backing of the 2 houses and we know what the turtle did.

Obama tried to be aggressive and was stymied at every turn, I don't know why you lay all of that his feet and think a president can correct everything that ails the middle class.

ROCKSS likes this.
  6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Bareley a peep?

He signed an executive order to raise it at the federal level.

And then you have the whole Minimum wage and fairness act.wich Obama pushed hard.
    https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/113/s1737

President Barack Obama strongly supported increasing the minimum wage, giving speeches about it urging Congress to take action.[2] Obama argued that "if you pay people well, there's more money in everybody's pockets, and everybody does better."[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum_Wage_Fairness_Act

Since it seems you don't really have an idea and what he tried to do to boost wages, this might help.

https://www.epi.org/blog/the-obama-legacy-on-wages/

7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Yes on all points. I'm not sure $15 is the right number but it's paramount this wage is tied to cost of living or inflation such that it goes up and doesn't leave these people in food lines. It is time labor made a comeback.

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

As you know, we used to have the draft. Young men went into the military regardless of whether they wanted to, unless they failed the physical or could afford to go to college. So one could argue that they were not employees. They were forced labor, in a sense, and in the beginning of the 1960’s placed in a civil war on the other side of the world that we chose to intervene in, eventually in a fantastically huge way. The French were smart enough to get the heck out of Dodge when they realized their colony was lost. LBJ let himself get talked into shoving us into that morass that the French marched away from.

Today? We have a professional military and no draft, thank god, and the members of it are employees of the United States. Underpaid employees, but employees, nevertheless, doing a necessary job to protect the rest of us. They deserve better treatment than they get, in my opinion, but that’s another topic. Anyway, I digress. When did the Fed begin to count members of the military as being “employed?” Before or after the end of the draft?

joshuaao and TWS1986 like this.
  9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Janet Yellen speech on economic inequality and opportunity in 2014.

https://www.federalreserve.gov/newsevents/speech/yellen20141017a.htm

The distribution of income and wealth in the United States has been widening more or less steadily for several decades, to a greater extent than in most advanced countries.1 This trend paused during the Great Recession because of larger wealth losses for those at the top of the distribution and because increased safety-net spending helped offset some income losses for those below the top. But widening inequality resumed in the recovery, as the stock market rebounded, wage growth and the healing of the labor market have been slow, and the increase in home prices has not fully restored the housing wealth lost by the large majority of households for which it is their primary asset.

The extent of and continuing increase in inequality in the United States greatly concern me. The past several decades have seen the most sustained rise in inequality since the 19th century after more than 40 years of narrowing inequality following the Great Depression. By some estimates, income and wealth inequality are near their highest levels in the past hundred years, much higher than the average during that time span and probably higher than for much of American history before then.2 It is no secret that the past few decades of widening inequality can be summed up as significant income and wealth gains for those at the very top and stagnant living standards for the majority. I think it is appropriate to ask whether this trend is compatible with values rooted in our nation's history, among them the high value Americans have traditionally placed on equality of opportunity.

10. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Just seeing the difference in cabinets is a compelling argument against trump...

11. NewRoxFan

Lil' marco... why are intelligent, well educated people are a problem with republicans?

12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I guess politic is knowing your audience. Today, it’s anti-

China
    Knowledge and Brain
    Decency, Respectfulness and Tradition

jiggyfly likes this.
  13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Highly educated snobs in the Cabinet? Say it ain't so, Joe! Say it ain't so!

Quick, get some Division III grads in there (which have some really good schools, certainly overpriced, just saying).

14. adoo

adoo Member

i am impressed, all of them w strong relevant experience, and will be able to hit the ground running.

ur confused and less-than-informed.

this has the makings of a 3rd Obama term. which is a good thing

do u even understand what the responsibility of a Treasury Secretary entails.

Yellen brings a wealth of relevant experience to be the chief economic advisor to the POTUS.

yet another eg of u being confused and under-informed.

these highly qualified professionals were associated w the Obama presidency who had
    • resuscitated a dying US economy that was shrinking and losing hundreds of thousands of jobs monthly
    • went on the generated > 70 consecutive months of job growth
    • passed the ACA / ObamaCare law
    this has been the opposite of "business as usual"

#174 adoo, Nov 24, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  15. glynch

Relax, you can be sanctimonious in your devotion to the media you consume. I think you started the denigration thing first as far as I am concerned. You might read Sirota and Klein when they understandably are not trying so hard to appease the billionaire media to maintain some access.

Glenn is as far as I know now only allowed on Fox to harass the billionaire liberal media who has banned him for not toeing the line especially wrt to Hillary, Biden, Snowden, and especially Assange, who aside from the Russians they try to blame for poor Hillary losing to Trump.

16. NewRoxFan

LOL... looks like trump is jealous that Biden's fantasy football team is so much better than his...

jiggyfly likes this.
  17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I am not devoted to any media or any ideology like you are.

Where do you get off telling me my ideas are formed by the billionaire class when you obviously did not know what I read or get my opinions from?

Talk about devotion to a media, look in the mirror dude.

You really are a one trick pony, I have no idea why you white knight Greenwald so much, is he your messiah?

Its hard to take you serious when you crap on Obama continuously even going as far as using falsehoods, he deserves criticism but you don't have to make **** up.

18. glynch

I guess it is an improvement. I think Obama was virtually 100 % IVY. There was much very excited talk about how incredibly super smart all his guys while never explaining how they seem to be outsmarted by the Republicans (who I assume are not all IVY grads) who theObama crowd always claim were so fiendishly tough.

19. glynch

Oh well I tried. Be sanctimonious that you are so unbiased.

#179 glynch, Nov 24, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I notice you have ignored how wrong you were about Obama and the minimum wage.

Why is that?

dmoneybangbang likes this.