1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Biden Cabinet

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Nov 7, 2020.

1. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Only Black members can tell me if it's racist. I just thought it was a humorous resemblance ha. But I am an old East Texas white man.

" The Biden Administration will include the first woman to serve as Vice President, Treasury Secretary, Defense Secretary, and Director of National Intelligence."

2. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

@pgabriel

TWS1986 likes this.
  3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I really don't know why you linked me. In arguing about inner city with other posters i have some claim i don't know these problems

I have responded im black, grew up in inner city, live in inner city.

4. adoo

adoo Member

Biden to name Janet Yellen, former Fed chair, as the Treasury Secretary

The significance of Biden's Treasury pick is amplified by the enormous crisis and fragile economy he will inherit in January as the recovery weakens. The Treasury chief will be charged with leading America's economy out of the pandemic as well as narrowing the staggering gap between rich and poor.
    Yellen is no stranger to the limelight nor groundbreaking roles. As head of the Federal Reserve from 2014 to 2018, Yellen has already served a stint as arguably the world's most powerful woman.

She stood out among the leading contenders as someone who would attract broad support and would be ready to hit the ground running in the middle of a crisis without much on-the-job training.
    Added bonus: Yellen would likely be welcomed by investors because she's a known quantity and the markets boomed during her tenure leading the Fed.​

saitou likes this.
  5. Dubious

Because I made a joke, and am super sensitive about being racist because that's the world I grew up in. And I was a joking that only a black person could tell me it was racist, which is racist, Damn!

Just a joke, don't worry about it.

TWS1986 and pgabriel like this.
  6. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I don't blame jiggyfly. If you read 5-10 mainstream sources and they all more or less the same thing, you think your own beliefs, which these sources classify as moderate, are therefore common sense. Also doncha know if you have climate change deniers and climate activists for instance then the truth must be in accepting climate change, but only a few minor tweeks. The truth is always somewhere in the middle. QED

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Once again you come off as a sanctimonious ass talking down to people who don't agree with you biased way of thinking.

I will play along, please tell me what I should be reading since you think I don't have the right sources.

I listen to actual credentialed people when it comes to stuff like climate change who do you listen too.

8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Not impressed by the selections. The fact that he picked anyone associated with Clinton is a no no and Yellen is hardly the person who is going bring balance between labor and capital. Blinken, Sullivan, and Yellen are more business as usual nonsense.

9. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

what are the criticisms of Yellen? honest question.

10. CometsWin

I don't know what the criticisms are but my criticism is that I find Treasury in need of someone who will bring balance to the value of labor vs capital in such a way to rebuild the middle class and the former head of the fed isn't going to be that person. We already had an Obama Presidency, we don't need another one.

glynch and Dubious like this.
  11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

That's not Yellen jobs nor is it the job of the treasury secretary.

The fact that just being associated with Clinton means a no no from you says a lot about your mindset.

So everything about the Clintons and their legacy is wrong according to you?

So was the a no no associated with the Clintons?

"President Clinton had campaigned heavily on health care in the 1992 presidential election. The task force was created in January 1993, but its own processes were somewhat controversial and drew litigation. Its goal was to come up with a comprehensive plan to provide universal health care for all Americans, which was to be a cornerstone of the administration's first-term agenda. The president delivered a major health care speech to the US Congress in September 1993. During his speech he proposed an enforced mandate for employers to provide health insurance coverage to all of their employees."

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

13. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

well job and GDP growth were strong under Obama so that's a good start. what sort of metrics should we be focused on? decreasing the wage gap? managing cost of living?

again an honest question bc i agree that a thriving middle class is incredibly important.

14. CometsWin

Great, why don't you tell me what a Treasury secretary does and how that affects the middle class.

I abhor the Clintons. I don't care for much of anything associated with them.

15. CometsWin

I think the unemployment rate is meaningless. It's a relic of a by gone era. We need new metrics to measure the health of the economy in particular as it relates to under employment, living wages, benefits, subsidization of low wages by government programs like food stamps and Medicaid. The minimum wage should be raised and it should be indexed to inflation by law.

Andre0087 likes this.
  16. CometsWin

Yes, I am that guy that doesn't want a second Obama Presidency. I want a President who is much more aggressive in dealing with wealth inequality.

Andre0087 likes this.
  17. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Just in case: You can still go with the billionaire news outlets (keep in mind the limits of their agenda) e.g the NYT, WaPo, MSNBC and ABC etc. Fox if you want to keep up a bit with the crazies whom make up about 40% if you can stand it.

Now broaden to The Nation, IN These Times, The New Republic, Jacobin, Naked Captialism.com Glen Greenwald, David Sirota, Naomi Klein, antiwar.com (a bit crazy bc run by libertarians) look for Robert Reich, Yanis Varoufakis, Richard Wolff, Stephanie Kelton, Thomas Franks etc etc

#157 glynch, Nov 23, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  18. Dubious

I would be fine with a second Obama Administration, with the caveat that Turtle doesn't control the Senate agenda. We actually have no idea what he could have done without 6 years of absolute obstruction.

So, I guess what you are talking about is. 1. $15 minimum wage 2. Reform of tax brackets 3. Reform of deductions and loopholes 4. Valuing wages the same as earnings in tax calculations

joshuaao, CometsWin and Andre0087 like this.
  19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not sure why you are asking me.

By the way, they look nothing alike.

Astrodome likes this.
  20. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Thank you thank you