1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Next Texans Head Coach (and GM)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Oct 5, 2020.

1. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

OHHH, I see.

So let's make a list, who all on the Texans are overpaid. It'll be a long list. You can't get around the management situation.

2. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed lol. This isn’t an either or thing for me. There is plenty of blame to go around with this team.

3. showa13

showa13 Member

History says teams who think the way you think are historically bad(Browns, Jags, Jets)

4. showa13

showa13 Member

And to this I think the point that's trying to be made is Deshaun has had success in a s***show of an organization, while being compared to QB's who are in a significantly better organizational situation. So it brings hope that Deshaun can succeed if the organization gets it together.

Again, if were talking about the Texans organization getting it together than yes I think we can all agree that there's a long ass way to go. But Deshaun gets blamed for the organization's missteps he had zero control over. We all know he has his flaws(there's no such thing as a perfect QB or NFL player)but he's 25, who at 25 doesn't have flaws? Mahomes has flaws. But to some Cal McNair could say something dumb and they'd find a way to blame Deshaun for it.

5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I honestly don’t know anyone that defends ownership. I also don’t see anyone that blames Watson solely.
    Honestly I see more excuses for Watson than I see excuses for anyone else.
    Almost as if it’s not ok to be critical of an underperforming Star QB that’s being paid handsomely.
    Any other QB in this position would be getting hammered. That also doesn’t excuse ownership or management. They have a lot of fault there too.

6. Nimo

Nimo Member

Coaching matters

Who do you think has the better QBR between Deshaun and Russell? What about TD to Interception ratio?

Again, coaching matters.

You could attribute 3 losses to coaching (Cleveland, Tennessee, and Minnesota). Texans could be 6-4.

showa13 likes this.
  7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Im very aware of their numbers. QBR slightly to Watson, QB rating Wilson.
    4-1 ratio is better than 3-1 I agree.
    But not when one has 10 more touchdowns

8. Nimo

Nimo Member

For those of you that still want to attribute the Deshaun pick to Bob O'Brien

J.R. likes this.
  9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Also, Wilson has a better completion percentage and win percentage.

10. Nimo

Nimo Member

Ratio is ratio. 10 games is a big enough sample size. The point is that the gap is not as big as it might seem; except in the records.

Speaking of wins and losses, Seahawks would have lost to the Patriots if Cam hadn't fumbled on what would have been a game-winning drive. Coaching matters.

11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Id take 30/10 (Quite a few in two games) way over 20/5 personally.
    And this is by far the best ratio Watson has ever had.
    Wilson is heads and shoulders a better QB than Watson. You can look at any numbers and it proves this.
    Watson should be modeling his game after Wilson in fact.

12. Nimo

Nimo Member

We are looking at this year. And it is close this year. And coaching matters. We all know the Seahawks coaching staff have always preferred throwing it

[​IMG]

cmoak1982 likes this.
  13. showa13

showa13 Member

How many QBs have been in his position and been successful?
    Ownership is terrible
    Your coach/GM is, well was, terrible
    You trade away the best WR in the game for a 2nd and a completely washed up RB
    The former coach/GM actively alienated the entire team
    Had to deal with all this while having no pre-season

I’m not absolving him from blame, no one is. I’m just not heaping as much blame on him as the loud minority of Deshaun detractors are.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I’m honestly not trying to detract from Watson. I think realistically is more along my line of thinking vs hopeful and wishful optimism for others. I want him to succeed, I want him to be an all time great. I have doubts.

15. showa13

showa13 Member

Also the constant ‘well Wilson and Mahomes are so much better etc.’ comparisons Deshaun gets are getting annoying and out of hand. Mahomes might be the best QB to ever play, Russ is definitely one of the best to ever play. Some act as since he falls short to them in certain categories he’s not a franchise QB. Like saying Lebron’s not a good post player compared to Hakeem’s post play.

16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

When you get paid like them and above them be prepared for comparisons.

17. showa13

showa13 Member

I guess a lot of this isn’t directed exactly at you. I think most of us want him to succeed, and I believe that if Deshaun was in a competent organization he’d be competing for a SB this year due to his talent and abilities.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  18. showa13

showa13 Member

To loop this to the topic, the next coach/GM for the Texans is highly important for the success of Deshaun and of this team. Organizational structure is more vital in football than any other major sport in the world. As Nimo said ‘coaching matters’

cmoak1982 likes this.
  19. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Not true at all. This whole Let Russ Cook meme has started because for so many years the Seahawks have been a run heavy team. That year last year they got to the super bowl, they were 4th highest in run play ratio at 50.6%, and 5th highest last year running the ball 48% of the time.

From what I've heard about that Super Bowl botch, was that they (IDK if it was Pete or Russell) wanted Russell to come out as the hero. Lynch was having a good game already, and I think even that drive was doing well. But Lynch getting the game winning TD would not have created the same kind of superstar that a squeaky clean QB like Russell would have become.

But that rumor aside, the Seahawks up until this year has been a running team.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Looks like some here would prefer Goff and Foles to Watson simply because they “led” their teams to Super Bowls...