1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I will always believe jimmer fredette got cancelled in the nba similar to Billy Ray with Achy Breaky

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by what, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Buck Turgidson

If this was remotely true then Garth Brooks would have also been a 1-hit wonder.

We should have been so lucky.

B-Bob, don grahamleone and T for 3 like this.
  2. what

what Member

Garth Brooks was not a novelty though. His debut album was straight middle of the road country, almost a throwback country album except for the dance. The point is that the elites in country music could get behind an album like that, whereas Billy Ray's non traditional style flew in the face of the snobby country critics who saw achy breaky heart as a no talent song with an idiot singing it and getting droves of line dancing idiots to follow him.
    Very different set of circumstances.

3. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

People ( including comics) thought Hicks was hilarious. He killed most every time he was on stage.

We can agree on one thing. Jimmer and Billy Ray Cyrus is a great comparison.

4. what

what Member

I have no doubt that Hicks had an audience. He would not have been where he is without it: just as David Foster Wallace has his. Or William Faulkner had his, or Toni Morrison had hers.
    The point was that the designation as a comics comic means very little to me in my parallel world as a writer to get that specific accolade. It doesn't mean a whole lot to me as an artist. As a fan, I only care about laughing at a joke regardless of who is delivering it. The fact that Bill Hicks was a comics comic would not make me laugh or appreciate his jokes more and would not console me as a fellow artist to think that I was a writer's writer.
    But yes, I am sure Bill had his audience.

foh likes this.
  5. adoo

adoo Member

yip, he did that in college, against (relative to the NBA) inferior competion.

it was a rude awakening for the Jimmer. NBAers are just too athletic, such that Jimmer could never get his shots off

just the facts

6. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Nick Collison wrote an awesome article about how every role player in the NBA is a star that learned how to fill a role. Jimmer had the offensive talent to make it. He should've modeled his career after JJ Reddick, but few players can stop themselves from trying to do too much, and turn their game into a complimentary role. There's been plenty of talented players that couldn't figure this out.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

This has all the same energy of a 2005 Texans Forum post about David Carr.

AXG likes this.
  8. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Yes the big anti christian mafia against tim tebow and Jimmer :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    THAT's the reason they aren't playing ... yeaaaa

9. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Jimmer could always shoot, even in the NBA. He shot 39% from deep on his first team in the league, the Kings. Before he went overseas he was 38% from deep on 506 attempts for his career. That's really good. Sure he struggled with shot creation as his dribble drive game was not effective enough in the NBA, but he should have been able to carve out a career as a sharpshooter. The problem was he might have been the worst defensive player I've ever seen in my life. I'm not talking horrible defensive matchups like Duncan Robinson on Lebron James where there's an obvious mismatch, even everyday players could take him to school. Teams would target him every time and there was nothing he could do about it.

10. WiltTheStilt13

Bill Hicks? You mean Alex Jones?

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Cancel culture existed back then?

14. omgTHEpotential

It's not just the NBA he couldn't get into. He wasn't good enough to stick in the Euroleague either. Offensively he was okay while playing for Panathinaikos, but just a complete defensive sieve. Not an NBA talent and it's not even close. Chinese league is an absurdly bad competition, that's why he's putting up these stats. He goes up against unathletic defenders with no length on a nightly basis. Of course he'll put up crazy stats as the first option.

15. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I rather have him shooting than House or BMac at this point lol

AXG likes this.
  16. HardenVolumeOne

I heard that demarcus cousins terrorized white players like casspi, and made life hell for nik stauskus and jimmer. Their was an article online a few years ago about this made by an anonymous person involved with the kings organization. Cousins got kicked out of so many kings practices because of this

here is some of what I could find, the other article must have been scrubbed from the internet

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelp...s-cousins-threatened-fight-nik-stauskas-plane