1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

There Is Gun Violence And Then There Is Gun Violence

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Nov 23, 2020.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The problem is these kids's lack of direction. How does money fix that?

We cant go back in time and change the wrongs of the past that have led to where we are

2. Nook

Nook Member

You address like you do any problem. You provide them a better quality of education, more opportunities to do things outside of school....... some that are older already will not learn and some will. Those that are really bad end up in prison anyway. When you have a parent or parents working 60 hours a week, poor educational opportunities, young people left to their own devices and the top advancement is through drug trafficking.... you have a perfect storm.

3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

#Xerobull-Nook-2028

Nook likes this.
  4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

No stop having babies when not prepared. When realizing you weren't prepared definitely stop having more.

Obviously you have to meet these problems head on

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Please appoint me Secretary of Snark

Xerobull and Nook like this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

Increase Planned Parenthood funding in the inner cities. Provide structure through after school activities and increase the quality of education. Those all will decrease the number of children born without support.

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Planned parenthood is fine. You refuse to just say homes need fixing and is bigger than money

All the liberals on this board are unreasonably stubborn and exemplify the conservative accusation that you dont think blacks can be responsible

Im not disagreeing and you steady arguing about money. ts weird actually

Nook likes this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

BTW the teen birth rate for black women in the USA has dropped by over 50% since 2008.

pgabriel likes this.
  9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Definitely a start. Im not kidding, currently living in fifth ward and growing up in my neighborhood, this is actually noticeable

Nook likes this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

Broken homes often are a consequence of poverty....... If I want to fix a broken home I need better education, mental health screening and opportunities.... those all require finances.

Don't think blacks can be responsible? It has nothing to do with some the ethnicity of an individual and a lot to do with the environment that they live in and the opportunities in society.

You say "be responsible"........... that gets you absolutely no where on a larger scale..... that is why I view it as an empty platitude that doesn't really advance the discussion

11. Nook

Nook Member

I know it is....... teen pregnancy across the board is down. It is something that society deemed important and addressed it, although it took a long time.

Divorce is also decreasing as well..... and the amount of children born to single mothers is decreasing.

Sometimes it just takes time for intervention to work....... for example drug use in the inner cities is down......

pgabriel likes this.
  12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Never mind

13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Rehashing the same stupid argument in another dumb pgabs thread. US gun violence leads all first world countries because of easy access to guns. Period.

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

It's not a black or white issue. It's a socio-economic issue and Unfortunately, black people tend to be poor more often. Social mobility is not nearly as easy these days with crazy college tuition. It's easier to be a responsible parent who takes care of your kids when you have white collar jobs where you can work from home and flexible time off.

15. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I want to talk a bit about schools. pgabriel is right that schools are regularly improved and rebuilt and I'll add that teachers in this area are paid well. Education as a whole is funded well enough to not get the poor results many schools produce. I mean, so long as we don't make schools seem miserable by comparing them to over funded schools in wealthy neighborhoods, money should not be an issue.

The truth is you don't need much to teach a kid to read, write, and do basic math. Something is keeping kids from learning the basics and I think it starts at the home. I get that that type of platitude argument is annoying to liberals, but it's the truth. You give a motivated and encouraged kid from a solid home a composition notebook and an unmotivated and discouraged kid from a broken home a MacBook, and the kid with the composition notebook will usually succeed and the other usually won't.

To combat broken homes, I think we need to start incentivizing two parent households and marriage. I think we need to educate the parents in parenting, but also in trades that they can then go work in. Invest in helping the parents overcome drug addiction, past traumas, or whatever is keeping them from succeeding.

pgabriel likes this.
  16. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I do not believe requiring a tax or insurance on the right to bear arms would be constitutional. The same arguments used against a poll tax or voter ID would be utilized. You are putting undo barriers to a poor person's rights. Totally different than a car or house.

I have no problem closing the gun show loophole. Make FFLs charge a low national fee of 10 bucks to do a person to person transfer. Some charge 50-100 and that is stupid for the amount of work involved. When some guns only cost a couple hundred bucks it becomes an unreasonable fee.

pgabriel likes this.
  17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Badass post Mr Teacher. Ill go a step further. If we keep telling inner city kids their schools are terrible why expect them to keep going

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I think a lot would agree this thread has produced an intelligent exchange

You need to chill out on your you know what. :)