1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Next Texans Head Coach (and GM)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Oct 5, 2020.

1. showa13

showa13 Member

If a GM came and pitched that idea to the owner they'd struggle to get him out of the building they'd be laughing so hard about how dumb that sounds(unless the owner is woefully incompetent)

2. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I agree. Watson is a known commodity. It’s difficult to go with the unknown.
    Smart upper management would be able to see this team is devoid of talent, your two most valuable assets are among highest paid in league and in 3-5 years when you are able to reload through the draft they will need new contracts.
    I would trade Tunsil, Watson and Watt for as many picks (number 1 overall for sure) as possible and completely rebuild.

Everyone knows that won’t happen though. So we’ll be stuck in mediocrity as usual. Watson is not that generational talent that can drag subpar teams to promise land.

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Start listing the QBs you'd trade Watson for - it's not going to be a very long list:
    1> Mahomes
    2 > Wilson
    Those are, IMO, the only two "don't hesitate" choices.

3 > Rodgers
    Obviously better - but significantly older. The Packers probably don't make the deal and the Texans probably would - but both teams would think long and hard about it.

After that, the only players you'd even think about are: Josh Allen, Joe Burrow, Justin Herbert, Kyler Murray and Dak Prescott. And Burrow, Herbert and Murray only because they're younger & cheaper and not because they're better. I wouldn't trade Watson for any of those 3 - right now - nor would I deal him for Allen or Prescott (I think Watson is better than both).

That's it. That's your list. So he's easily top 9 - at worst - and a strong case could be made he's top 5.

cmoak1982 and showa13 like this.
  4. showa13

showa13 Member

Wait, why do we have to wait 3-5 years to reload via the draft?

And I understand the sediment to completely rebuild, but why trade away a known commodity for unknown hope? Cool, you get all those high draft picks, but if they're all busts or underperform, you won't be getting back premium talent in a trade for those guys, and then you're stuck at the top of the draft for years not making any progress. You become worse than mediocre, you become the Jets, the Browns, the Jags, the Bengals, teams that would love to be mediocre.

And what if you do hit on all those draft picks sans a QB? You still won't win anything without good starting QB play unless you get extremely lucky and are very good/elite at pretty much every other position, and even then it's hard to win it all(see Chargers of past few years).

The Chiefs are the outlier. They drafted well, but the only reason they won anything is because of Mahomes. If there are so many guys like Mahomes out there then rebuilding by trading away a 25 year old ascending QB makes sense.

5. raining threes

He drove the Colts down the field for the winning score. I would like for Watson to have that chance too. Maybe he would succeed. We will never know, ifs and buts. Right now DW4 isn't near as good as Luck was and Luck played behind an arguably worse OL. Maybe he will get there someday.

6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Its still sad that Deshaun doesnt seem to be changing any minds among the "fans" who cant seem to buy in. Still hung up on payroll or their own eye test. Nobody seems to take the time to think about the flux around him. The tyrant as coach, the GM carousel, the destruction of the defense.

And still the kid balls. He isnt perfect, but just like Bill Belichek said:

[​IMG]

Hey Now! and TheRealist137 like this.
  7. raining threes

I would take all of those guys before Watson except Dak who I think is on par with Watson.

No Brady/Brees/Carr/Ben/Tannehill has been better this yr IMHO

8. showa13

showa13 Member

What QB in the NFL is good enough to drag subpar teams to the promise land? I know Mahomes will be a popular answer and he might be able to but we have zero proof that he can

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You really think the Texans would make the Watson for Rodgers deal while the Packers wouldn't? Personally, i don't see either team making it.

10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Uhh, he drove the Texans against the Bills last year, orchestrating a comeback and sensational plays in the 4th qtr and OT.

Watson has drove us for a win or tie many times in his career, the only problem is that our defense almost always coughs up the lead. Watson is clutch. You clearly are bias if you don't remember all those times Watson has been clutch for us.

TEXNIFICENT likes this.
  11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I think that’s how long it’s going to take personally. Not having 1st and 2nd round picks is going to hurt. And they’re cap strapped and probably going to lose quite a few players next year.

12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Rodgers did and has.
    Wilson, Mahomes, Brady(don’t think he can anymore)

13. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Ok...believe what you want. Tired of banging my head against a wall. We will find out in January.

14. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Um, Chiefs were not Subpar, they have ELITE offensive talent. Their defense was Average, but not subpar.
    When the Seahawks won the Superbowl, they had an ELITE defense (legion of boom, anyone?) and Elite Run game.
    Brady? Elite Defense...Elite Tight Ends.

15. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Let us all take a moment, then, to celebrate that you are not - nor never will be - an NFL GM. Why in the world would you take Murray. Burrow or Herbert over Deshaun Watson?

And every one of those teams would trade their QB for Deshaun Watson in a heartbeat. He's better/younger/cheaper than those guys.

TEXNIFICENT likes this.
  16. showa13

showa13 Member

It hurts for next year, but the year after that and every year after we have all of our picks, so technically in 2022 we will be able to start rebuilding through the draft.

17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Brady has won with non elite defense and offense.
    Wilson hasn’t but he is one who I think can (this year)
    Mahomes is more talented than any other qb in the league.
    Rodgers has done it already and does it year in and out.

18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I agree, but that’s year two already, it will take a couple years to reload. Which is why I said 3-5

19. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

It's called an AGENDA. That guy doesn't believe the garbage he spouts about Watson. The Texans suck & he's blaming Deshaun. Prime Tom Brady couldn't this staff, players & the preacher man in charge to the playoffs much less the Super Bowl.

20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Better and younger, not cheaper.