1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eric Gordon

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BraBra, Nov 20, 2020.

1. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets have to be careful trading for someone like Hield right after adding Wood.

Hield is a very poor passer that gets tunnel vision when he has the ball....... the same is true of Wood.

The Rockets don't want to have too many guys like that.

2. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Silas will preach team ball.

Also I saw several highlights of wood making some very nice passes.

Granted they are highlights but still he has the ability.

And also buddy averaged 3 assist last year which is somewhat decent.

Compared to like let’s say klay Thompson who’s never averaged more then 3 while playing with way superior talent then buddy has.

don grahamleone and RudyTBag like this.
  3. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Saying he’s one of the worst defenders in the NBA was a bit harsh on my part, but he’s certainly below average in that area.

Also, yes, I’ve seen Buddy Hield play numerous times. Both in college, when he was at Oklahoma, and for the Kings. He’s an elite catch and shoot scorer, but brings little else to the table. The Kings under Walton tried to make him a playmaker last season, and it was a massive failure. It contributed to him being benched.

Also, I don’t hate the idea of the Rockets acquiring Buddy Hield, as long as they find a way to cover up his defensive weaknesses. He’s like a rich man’s J.J. Redick.

#183 DVauthrin, Nov 23, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  4. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Not an apples to apples comparison when plays were design to have Thompson off the ball and for him to shoot most times when he received the ball.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  5. HP3

HP3 Member

I think all this trade nonsense needs to stop. Unless its for a better player. We should trade House. We can EG up his value during the season.

6. Nook

Nook Member

Wood and Hield are both capable of making some nice passes, but their mentality isn't to pass.... they tend to get tunnel vision.

Hield has the ball a lot in his hands, and his assist percentage isn't very good nor is his AST/TO ratio.

I may still well do the trade, I am just saying that it would be an issue.

Rudyc281 and pippendagimp like this.
  7. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I don’t like Gordon but my hope is that Silas has a real offense that gets more people involved and even if James numbers dip, it makes the overall team better.

Maybe Gordon can bounce back with Silas as the coach.

I’m hoping for something like the Mavericks (https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.da...ts-during-bubble-seeding-play/?outputType=amp)

....but with better defense.

These iso numbers need to be drastically reduced:
    https://www.nba.com/stats/players/isolation/?sort=POSS&dir=1

I think the Rockets have better talent than the Mavs. If Silas can bring some of that team ball and efficiency, Gordon could possibly see a big time resurgence.

8. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Possibly...he isn’t exactly passing to great players in Sacramento either.
    If he does pass the ball and the guy cant finish or bricks the shot then that’s a potential assist that won’t show up on the stat sheet.

don grahamleone likes this.
  9. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Once the Wood trade completes and the team makes their final roster additions, I think you will see the trade talk die down a bit. For now, the team is behaving as if something is on the horizon.

don grahamleone and HP3 like this.
  10. jdiggidy

jdiggidy Member

Thanks but I was actually being serious cause I legit did not know, but thanks all the same.

11. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Contract wise you would most likely need Russ or Harden to be going to Sacramento or a third team.

With the Hard Cap The Rockets would need to send one of those two (Harden or Russ) out or both Gordon and Tucker. Sending out both Gordon and Tucker would create more holes than it would solve and the room under the hard cap it likely wouldn't be enough to field a competitive team.

Only possible scenario I can see Buddy coming is in a deal where Westbrook is going to a third team.

edit: I appear to be confused, if you're asking about Ingram that's not something that I could see New Orleans doing at this time. He's going to be maxed out but yea it would require WB or Harden too.

#191 treyk3, Nov 23, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    jdiggidy and RudyTBag like this.
  12. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

imagine if wood pans out as a shooter tho !

since we are going crazy with the scenarios I’ll give you one .

wood pans out as a shooter . We get hield , we get batum (who looks like Portland batum playing 3/4 for us )

lineup .

James , maclemore , hield , batum , wood .
    Of course you can actually have PJ in that spot too , but In this theoretical case batum is a better playmaker . We might not stop anyone (James is prolly our best defender ) but you literally can’t stop that lineup . Too much space , helps cover up for tunnel vision , sure go to the rim .. there will be no one there .

tho frankly , just with pj and wood .. they can set some nice screens . We can get one of maclemore of buddy open with a pretty high rate .

good wood opens up some really interesting possibilities. Maybe we keep Gordon and he shoots better as a result of not having to be 35 feet away .

13. jdiggidy

jdiggidy Member

Thanks. This is why I was asking. Had no clue how it would play out.

14. jb86

jb86 Member

I say keep EG and let him be the primary scorer off the bench not just a spot up shooter. We should use his whole game. Also, add Kenneth Faried and Thon Maker. That will give us rebounding and shot blocking on the bench.

Bench:
    EG
    BMac
    House
    Faried
    Maker

15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I will build Rafael Stone a statue outside of Toyota Center and worship at his feet if I don't have to watch Eric Gordon shoot 22% from 3 anymore. The man will be a king.

16. HP3

HP3 Member

It works though? Why would you change what works. They dont need to drastically reduce anything expect Russ's iso attempts.

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

Lulz. Yes, every other team in the NBA should only trade us better players for our trash with shitty contracts.

20. JW86

JW86 Member

No way EGO gets you Hield.