1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Roscoe Arbuckle

I do love ya, my friend. I'll leave you with this.

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

3. Roscoe Arbuckle

4. Roscoe Arbuckle

Hello, I am Johnny Cash.

5. Outlier

Outlier Member

Roscoe has gone off the rails, it looks like.

Are we sure there isn't a new strand of COVID that screws with the brain?

That's what looks like is unfolding under our very eyes.

Sajan and Jontro like this.
  6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

There are others here who can believe.

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Wrong again. I did not report that post. I will wager $100. And whoever warned you will tell you it wasn't me. Put up or shut up.

Deckard and Nook like this.
  8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

DonkeyMagic, Outlier, Sajan and 3 others like this.
  9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If we're talking facts and data Sweden has from the beginning been touted as a model for "responsible" approach of relying upon voluntary restrictions. The results have been a far higher infection rate and death toll than their neighbors which have similar demographic makeup and political systems. At the same time there economy hasn't done that well.

The main point is still that there is no longterm economic recovery without controlling the disease. Relying upon voluntary guidelines as Sweden did hasn't proven effective and it is telling that Sweden is changing direction.

Deckard and Nook like this.
  10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

or hell, even let’s check in with @Nook or @what or several other posters to see if it’s serious.

Deckard likes this.
  11. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

He's always been like that, so unless he had COVID 40 years ago....

12. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Late to the party here, but I don't get your point.

Are you suggesting do nothing?

13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I think "freedom" is overblown. People naturally understands there are restrictions. They don't go outside their house naked because of freedom. They don't speed past 65 because of freedom (well, plenty do). They do the easy things when they are allowed to do so and yes, while a small % breaks laws and rules on purpose, the majority will adhere by to them. They might not like it, but they will, on avg, follow them.

Here is a good example from the CDC.

Mask Mandates Work To Slow Spread Of Coronavirus, Kansas Study Finds
    https://www.npr.org/sections/health...rnews&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=npr

The Kansas mask requirement went into effect on July 3, when COVID-19 cases were rising across the state. But 81 counties opted out of the mandate, as permitted by state law. The other 24 counties — which account for the majority of the state's population — chose to require that masks be worn in public places.

The CDC and the Kansas Department of Health and Environment analyzed trends in county-level COVID-19 cases before the mandate went into effect and two months afterward. Though COVID-19 rates were considerably higher in the 24 counties that required masks, over the two-month study period they brought the growth of cases under control and even reduced them. The counties that didn't require masks continued to see their cases increase.

On average, the counties that required masks saw a 6% reduction in cases (calculated as a 7-day rolling average of new daily cases per capita). In contrast the counties that opted out saw a 100% increase.

14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I don't think anyone argue that larger outbreak = larger economic losses.

I don't think anyone argue that NPI helps reduce outbreak.

People argue impact of NPI on economy. These two papers, one for 1918 and one for Covid19 (summer months) shows that NPI has no additional impact to positive impact on economy.

Me: the root cause of an economy decline is Covid itself. You control it, your economy recovers. NPI is a way to control it and thus NPI that can decrease Covid outbreak and improve the economy, not damage it.

Pandemics Depress the Economy, Public Health Interventions Do Not: Evidence from the 1918 Flu

Do non-pharmaceutical interventions (NPIs) aimed at reducing mortality during a pandemic necessarily have adverse economic effects? We use variation in the timing and intensity of NPIs across U.S. cities during the 1918 Flu Pandemic to examine their economic impact. While the pandemic itself was associated with economic disruptions in the short run, we find these disruptions were similar across cities with strict and lenient NPIs. In the medium run, we find suggestive evidence that, if anything, NPIs are associated with better economic outcomes. Our findings indicate that NPIs can reduce disease transmission without necessarily further depressing economic activity.

Tracking the Economic Impact of COVID-19 and Mitigation Policies in Europe and the United States

We use high-frequency indicators to analyze the economic impact of COVID-19 in Europe and the United States during the early phase of the pandemic. We document that European countries and U.S. states that experienced larger outbreaks also suffered larger economic losses (well, duh :) ). We also find that the heterogeneous impact of COVID-19 is mostly captured by observed changes in people’s mobility, while, so far, there is no robust evidence supporting additional impact from the adoption of non-pharmaceutical interventions. The deterioration of economic conditions preceded the introduction of these policies and a gradual recovery also started before formal reopening, highlighting the importance of voluntary social distancing, communication, and trust-building measures.

B-Bob likes this.
  15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

1 death (retired dr that came back to help and fully knew the risk, bless his heart and family)
    1 fought (50's) through it (2 weeks, can barely walk, drinking a cup of water flu is cake vs this, very close to calling 911)

I'm almost sure there are other cases but they are either asymptomatic or with very minor symptoms. The randomness and gamut of impact from death to no symptoms leave plenty room to pick and choose. It's nothing more than a flu is true personally for many and believed to be true by many easily when 50% or so have no symptoms and half of our elected officials keep poking at it.

Deckard and B-Bob like this.
  16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You are lying

- FFB

Deckard and Amiga like this.
  17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

18. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

There are several groups of people today.......Covid deniers (as I like to call them) are in the top two, who I strongly believe history will paint in a harsh light. I’m old enough to where I have contemporaries passing on, and I don’t really want to live forever........but I do want to live long enough to see these people live in shame.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's outright ridiculous to suggest that forcing businesses to close, often forever isn't a larger cause of economic decline than a virus that affects a tiny percentage of the population.

COVID-19 is not like the Spanish Flu, the Spanish Flu affected more than just the elderly and those with a foot in the grave already.

If you allow businesses to be open, and you allow people to work, people will work and people will buy things. If you shut down the economy, people won't be able to do those things.

What a weird spin job trying to suggest otherwise.

20. Juxtaposed Jolt

If there were only other forums that revolved around the Houston Rockets that weren't bot sites. Oh wait, it's the internet. Silly me.

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewforum.php?f=16
    https://www.hoop-ball.com/community/houston-rockets-forums/
    https://forums.prosportsdaily.com/forumdisplay.php?52-Houston-Rockets
    https://www.talkbasket.net/forums/forum-68.html
    http://www.sportstwo.com/forums/houston-rockets.112/

Literally 5 other forums where you can go, instead of being so miserable here.