1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which vaccine are you gonna get?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Rashmon likes this.
  2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

“Other transient side effects would likely affect even more people. The independent board that conducted the interim analysis of Moderna’s huge trial found that severe side effects included fatigue in 9.7% of participants, muscle pain in 8.9%, joint pain in 5.2%, and headache in 4.5%. For the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine, the numbers were lower: Severe side effects included fatigue (3.8%) and headache (2%).”

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/202...rna-jabs-aren-t-dangerous-may-be-intense-some

Fever, aches from Pfizer, Moderna jabs aren’t dangerous but may be intense for some

Invisible Fan and Rashmon like this.
  3. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

None. Will wait to see how everyone responds to it.

Giving it to those in the 60+ age bracket, or that have pre-existing conditions, should for the most part eliminate the fatality rate.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  4. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

This is probably the only negative consequence of parallel development. If you get multiple successful drugs, there is confusion.

Two Sandwiches and Nook like this.
  5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

6. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'm not hugely concerned a out this stuff, to be honest. I bet those numbers are somewhat similar to the flu vaccine.

It's when you're injecting an mRNA vaccine into me, what could that potentially do to me, on a long term scale, at a cellular/chromosomal level? That obviously hasn't, been fleshed out. That's my concern.

Is it worth it to have a vaccine against something that could potentially be "similar to a hangover" as one of my friends described it, or to get the vaccine and become a lethargic zombie so that I don't have a hangover?

Obviously using hyperbole here, but trying to get my point across. My other point is that I realize I'm not smart enough to understand this all right away, either, so my thoughts could also be stupid.

I'm going to try and research before I am offered the vaccine. As we all should.

malakas likes this.
  7. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

I will get all the vaccines to become super immune.

Ottomaton, B-Bob and Dubious like this.
  8. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Praise Allah!

9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

The point of that article was transparency so people aren’t surprised at the side effects and are better prepared.

As far as mRNA, sounds futuristic and cool as heck. I tried to learn more about it. It’s not completely new, it’s been in a vaccines but not at a large scale (multiple ongoing non-covid phase 2 and 3 I think for 1-3 years). So even though it hasn’t commercialize yet, there is SOME long term history but of course again, not large scale.

By the time this is available to me (spring or summer 21), this would have gone through phase 3 with ~60k+ directly monitored participate and over 1M non-monitored (front line workers) individuals over a period of 4-11months. Given that the initial rounds is among health care providers, I think we should have a very solid baseline safety info by then. Much longer term - I have not seen much of any concern from what I read. This is new method and there is always potential for unknown risk that no one have though of, as with any new method in any field.

Some background info:
    https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2770485

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  10. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

My concern, as a healthcare worker, is that I'll be made to get this, like I am with the flu vaccine. Like I said, I need to do more research, but it's definitely an interesting topic.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  11. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I watched Unnatural Selection on Netflix. **** is science magic yo! But it never explained how changing the genetic code of one cell or 100 cells manifests itself throughout the whole body, 100,000,000 cells.

I will happily be the board guinea pig though. Being 67 I'll probably be early and will report.

Unnatural Selection | Netflix Official Site
    www.netflix.com › title

Unnatural Selection. 2019TV-MA 1 SeasonDocuseries. From eradicating disease to selecting a child's traits, gene editing gives humans the chance to hack ...

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The Coronavirus will fear being infected by ME!

TWS1986 likes this.
  13. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Did anyone see this study about the MMR vaccine possibly being the reason why young people, especially children, have some sort of immunity or at least less severe cases than older people? Might as well get a 2nd MMR or 1st for people that are older to help provide some protection against Covid. Not really sure why this study isn't getting more traction and why it is taking 6+months to conduct. Should be pretty simple to test and if the already existing MMR vaccine offers any protection, people should get it as extra layer of protection especially people over the age of 40.

https://scitechdaily.com/new-proof-...lla-mmr-vaccine-may-protect-against-covid-19/

malakas, Amiga and Hakeemtheking like this.
  14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

really interesting. Know a Dr in Chicago who had noticed this signal months ago and she’s advising all her patients to get an MMR booster. I should check to see if she’s seen any cases.

15. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

It seems so obvious that some people (mainly young people) already have some sort of protection from an already existing vaccine. This seems like a mostly risk free way to get some protection or extra protection from at least a severe case of Covid. Why isn't this study further along than it is? Shouldn't be that hard of a study. Also, why is this study/findings not mainstream news? I did see an article on Reuters about this but nothing much else. If I was a Dr. like the one you mention in Chicago I would be telling everyone I know to get the MMR booster. I would also be making this widespread news somehow but that isn't as easy as it sounds I guess.

FranchiseBlade and B-Bob like this.
  16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's certainly good info to know and should be widely spread when those mRNA vaccines roll out.

For those concerned I get the feeling that most of us won't get the mRNA vaccines. They are ahead in development and might be given to frontline workers but given how difficult they are to store and expensive to manufacture the traditional Oxford vaccine and around the World Sinovac vaccine might end up being more widely used.

17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I read about this and other live attenuated virus vaccine (such as flu spray into your nose) as possibly helping a few weeks ago. I even seek out for one of those flu spray vaccine, but our provider said they don't offer it this season for fear of covid (meaning spray into nose could somehow increase potential spread of covid for asymptotic carriers) ...

https://www.npr.org/sections/health...-live-flu-vaccine-help-you-fight-off-covid-19

October 8, 2020

The latter are called "live, attenuated vaccines," and over the past century, scientists have noticed something peculiar about these vaccines: They seem to offer some protection, not just from the targeted disease, but also against many different diseases, including respiratory infections.

"There's plenty of evidence for it," Gallo says. "The weakness is we don't really know the longevity [of the protection]. It will probably work only for months, but we can't say for sure."

Live vaccines also work through antibodies, but they likely do something else, as well. They supercharge our body's front-line defenders — the cells that first recognize an invader and try to clear it out before the infection gets out of control, Zhou says. Specifically, scientists think live vaccines epigenetically reprogram immune cells in the bone marrow, called myeloid cells.

Unlike antibodies, myeloid cells are nonspecific — they work on many types of invaders. And they work quickly when the virus first enters a person's body.

Now the big question is: Will live vaccines help a person clear out the coronavirus from their body before they get sick or before the infection becomes severe?

To figure that out, scientists around the world are currently running more than a dozen clinical trials with both BCG and the live polio vaccine to see whether they offer some protection against the virus that causes COVID-19.

No one believes the protection will be as strong — or as long-lived — as that provided by a specific COVID-19 vaccine, says Dr. Moshe Arditi, who leads one of the trials at Cedars Sinai in Los Angeles.

But, he says, the BCG vaccine has several advantages to a specific vaccine. It's cheap. A dose only costs a few dollars. And we already know it's safe. "More than 130 million kids every year — every year — receive the BCG vaccine so the safety profile has been very strong," Arditi says.

So the BCG vaccine could be approved — and available — by early next year, he says. "It could be a bridge until we have a safe, effective COVID-19 vaccine."

In the meantime, virologist Robert Gallo says, why not go get the live flu vaccine, if you can?

#57 Amiga, Nov 23, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    malakas likes this.
  18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

It's frustrating. I actually heard this advice from a friend who forwarded me the email from her doctor. I shared this with my doctor and just got a "meh, maybe" type of answer... and no MMR booster, though I had requested it after studying the data myself.

Doctors in general, understandably, have a lot of strong opinions and (in my experience) treat "outside" information from other doctors with great suspicion. They just don't have a lot of time to review lots of data. And no shade intended for our resident (har) doctors on here. Tough, tough job.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I can say without a doubt I will not be injecting anything named Sputnik V.

Sweet Lou 4 2, malakas and No Worries like this.
  20. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Trump, Top Officials To Be Offered Covid Vaccine Within Days - Bloomberg

President Donald Trump and other top U.S. officials will be offered the newly-approved coronavirus vaccine within days as part of a plan to ensure continuity in government amid the pandemic, people familiar with the effort said.

The vaccinations will be offered to critical personnel in all three branches of government deemed essential, and could start as soon as Monday. The shots will be staggered over the following 10 days to ensure staff don’t experience possible side effects all at the same time.

The measure also comes as health officials seek to build public confidence in the treatment. Offering the vaccine to top government members was recommended by public health officials and career national security staff, according to the people.

National Security Council spokesman John Ullyot confirmed the plan in a statement late Sunday.

“The American people should have confidence that they are receiving the same safe and effective vaccine as senior officials of the United States government on the advice of public health professionals and national security leadership,” Ullyot said.

In general, the first people in the U.S. to get the Pfizer Inc./BioNTech SE vaccine approved on Friday will be health-care workers and vulnerable residents of care homes. Various other groups, from airline workers to teachers to meatpackers, are keen for early access too.

U.S. health officials on Sunday warned that skepticism about the vaccines among many Americans may be a barrier to the nation achieving “herd immunity” against the coronavirus.

“The way we get through this is to achieve herd immunity,” U.S. Food and Drug Administration chief Stephen Hahn said on ABC. “And that means we need to vaccinate a significant number of people in this country, including those who are hesitant.”