1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets claim Kenny Wooten

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Nov 21, 2020.

1. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

Big question is are the Rockets building this solid front-court with 2 pickups at C/PF to complement Harden/Russ? These type of players would thrive under Harden’s passing abilities.

D-rock and DeBeards like this.
  2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yup. It’s skill-ball.

Better to have Tucker out there than Dwight or Javale, and that’s why those two didn’t play against us.

Richie_Rich, D-rock, saleem and 2 others like this.
  3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That’s why we went out and got a three point shooting C eh?

D-rock likes this.
  4. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

Exactly, we need a smart bad boy…as bad as he wanna be, but stay cool in games try distracting opponents' attention from their scheme.

D-rock likes this.
  5. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

He looks like a bruiser that'll make lebron think twice at 35 36 getting to the whole. Steph might be in a world of pain against this dude. Tilman is going to fill this roster up with some toughness. Let's see if they are all talk or actually got balls to match!

D-rock likes this.
  6. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

A block machine can even shoot(he was forced to shoot since that's completely wild wild wild open) ! tho not so confidently.;)

D-rock likes this.
  7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Still DOESN'T work, never has never will. Don Nelson tried it, teams that are balanced and can play multiple styles are far more deadly and able to survive playoffs, we got worse the further the playoffs went as teams figured out our ONE way of playing.

Small ball is crap, you don't need 1-5 spots, but you do need variety....losing Capela's roll to the hole killed our team.

DD

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I like his shot blocking. I’m okay with his signing.

D-rock and DaDakota like this.
  9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Yes, we lacked size. Capela’s role to the basket was good, but look how easily Draymond took him out of the game. If Clint had a jumper, he still would have been with the Rockets.

D-rock likes this.
  10. Caesar

Caesar Member

So explosive, if we can get him to work with Wood on PnR game with Harden and Russ, highlight reels and ESPN coverage about how were cheating and the Rockets should be disqualified from the playoffs and draft for the next 10 years.

D-rock likes this.
  11. Red.Glare

Red.Glare Member

I think what she/he meant was there might be more 2 point shots in the paint this season. As you know, having a 3 point shooting center allows for drives to the basket without a center like Capela being camped nearby.

D-rock likes this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rockets young signings seem to have common theme, explosive athleticism.

13. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Here is my take. When Russ was trash early in the season, Harden was all world averaging like 38 a game. A large chink of that was getting to the hole and either lobbing to Capela or their defenders would stay home and James would finish. The pick and role is where James is his deadliest, which is why we were so pumped about Dwight years ago.

Then we trade Capela and now Westbrook plays all world but James fell off big time. The two were never performing at their best at the same time. It made no sense to me that when Westbrook sat, we didn't go with a big. Tyson Chandler could have played that role just fine, but no, we eliminated Harden's lob threat, which allowed defenses to take away his layup. Defenses no longer had to choose their poison.

Had the Rockets just had a lob threat that they played only when Westbrook sat, I feel the team would have been way better. Not only do you regain a nearly 40ppg scorer, but you actually have some rim protection as well.

12 minutes may not be enough for the Rockets to become a contender, but it would have been a smart step in the right direction.

#73 withmustard, Nov 21, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    D-rock, DreamShook and Red.Glare like this.
  14. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Literally everyone minus Denver in the West got better and we went backwards.

Serge to LA

Wooten and Woods. Oh boy :(

D-rock and DeBeards like this.
  15. HardenVolumeOne

cutting ihart was also bad, but yea tyson chandler could have helped in the minutes westbrook sat

Williamson and rockets1995 like this.
  16. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

I'm a big fan of IHart Radio, but the alley oop wasn't a strength of his. Vertical spacing is very important for Harden on that role. He made it work with Nene because Nene had amazing hands. IHart didn't have the vertical timing and hands that were needed.

I always thought that if IHart had more time, he could have been at least a poor man's Steven Adams with a corner 3. I don't see a huge difference between him and Meyers Leonard, who would actually be a solid fit on our team.

D-rock and DreamShook like this.
  17. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

MDA is super stubborn, man. He is a square peg round hole kind of guy. Hartenstein should have been playing next to Russ as the diet Adams, but MDa was not having any of that. Rockets didn't even have to trade for RoCo if MDA just let Hartenstein play back up minutes next to Russ, IMO.

DeBeards likes this.
  18. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

Not finished yet…now i believe the new front office gonna sending away russ n EGo bring back some quality assets. Lets wait n see.

D-rock likes this.
  19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Only one ball - the two don't fit......if Russ was just running the 2nd team maybe, but they don't fit.

DD

20. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

I agree, for now. James is so good at tweaking his game that maybe he can figure something out to adjust to the new efficient Westbrook, if we ever see that version again. Maybe it was fools gold because he was doing it against losing teams and teams that hadn't seen us 5 or 6 games in a row. Maybe a stretch 5 is the solution? My original point was that it made no sense for the offense to accommodate Russell at Harden's expense.....even when Russ was on the bench. It just seemed like lazy coaching.