1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

It was Irene and Schlomo

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  2. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

So you believe those bodies are fakes?

3. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Man, y’all must really love Thanksgiving...8 months of celebration?!

4. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

What a garbage post as if your circle is all that exists. Come on. But I don’t believe you anyways. You definitely know someone that knows someone that’s been in the hospital.

I’m fortunate to only know one person who I’ve met that’s been hospitalized. Every single person I know can tell me at least one person they know of who has had a hospital stay. But beyond this anecdotal non sense, it’s real and it’s out there. You’re just being an *******.

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Are we really discussing whether the Plague is dangerous or not? Whether it kills people in the hundreds of thousands? sickens millions? Is filling hospitals and morgues? I know 3 people who've had it and all 3 survived, but each got hammered. One in particular has me worried.

It's my nephew's wife. She had what she thought was a relatively mild case 2-3 months ago and it hasn't left her. This is a very attractive woman in her mid-40's who looks 10 years younger, or did the last time we saw her. Periodically she has to take steroids. It's gets better, she thinks she's getting over it (finally) and she then starts coughing again. Painful coughing. She has some issues getting comfortable breathing after that happens. In other words, it's hanging around.

It's not like she doesn't have good insurance. She does through my nephew's job at NASA. Covid-19 affects different people different ways. Trying to lump everyone into one basket is just ****ing stupid.

6. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I'm fortunate to not know anybody that's been in the hospital. I know people who have had it but they've been mild cases.

BigM likes this.
  7. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

I can’t believe @Roscoe Arbuckle is so openly proud of being a selfish POS.

London'sBurning, Ubiquitin and Jontro like this.
  8. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

I think many of us can say we haven't seen it around us or those we know .... until it does ... and then once its in your circle it can spread quickly. From no one in the office having it for 8 months to 30% popping positive within a couple weeks. No one i know has ever been run over a car crossing a street while walking but that doesn't mean I'm going to carelessly cross the road without looking, but to each their own I guess.

I'm certainly more on the cautious side, though I do take calculated risks, such as allowing my kids to play on their travel baseball teams in an outdoor socially distanced sport. Worth the risk due to the mental health benefits since they are in Distanced Learning.

That said it's not up to the Government to tell us what to do and they've gone too far. We are under "curfew" at 10PM now (as if that is enforceable). And as if you can't get covid being out at 8PM. They keep instituting these BS unenforceable rules in a way that makes people want to blatantly disobey them because we are freedom loving Americans. The right approach was to educate, make strong, sound, reasonable recommendations, and I'd bet they would get better decision making from a lot of people because it is THEIR choice. Enough with the Nanny State approach, where these "leaders" don't even follow their own rules.

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

When in Rome, pig dafuk out

DonkeyMagic likes this.
  10. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Really? That makes one of us.

Kim, Invisible Fan and B-Bob like this.
  11. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Uh, the evidence is slapping them in the ****ing face yet “it’s a hoax!” or “I dOn’t KnOw AnYoNe ThAt’s GoT iT eVaR!” Remember when people were saying that it would go away on November 4th. Remember when Bill Gates was going to inject us with microbots?

This isn’t about freedom or choice, it’s about the greater good. At times everyone has to sacrifice so that we get through **** like this. Acting like 3 year olds because you have to have a face mask and stay at home is monumentally dangerous and stupid. No one likes doing any of this but that is was responsible people do. They do the **** that they don’t want to do because it’s right and they do it without b****ing.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I hear everyone is dead from COVID-19 already so we should ignore the actual numbers when it comes to infection fatality rate and blindly panic.

If you aren't willing to sacrifice your rights and embrace totalitarian rule then you are clearly selfish. Only explanation.

13. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bobby aren’t you a nurse? This is too hot a take for you.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, not a nurse, I work on the pharmaceutical side of things.

Honestly I've just had it with the over the top fear mongering bs so I was just making a joke out of it.

I suppose it's as frustrating when it comes to those outright denying things. I just wish people were capable of measured and nuanced positions.

COVID-19 is absolutely not something you want to get but for the vast majority in basically every age bracket it's not the end of the world and for nearly everyone under 30 it's not even something you are likely to have symptoms from even if you get it.

It's not nothing, but its also not the plague or ebola either.

It's certainly not something worth sacrificing your rights and civil liberties over.

It is something worth taking some extra precautions over however.

I think I've just dealt with too many hysterical people when it comes to covid-19 lately, particularly friends of mine from Austin, it's eroded my patience for that kind of thing.

JumpMan likes this.
  15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I would love to see such a responsible population and a government that send clear non conflicting, accurate and strong recommendation. We don’t have either of that, unfortunately, in the US. We have plenty of lies and misinformation not just from individuals but from our government, starting at the very top.

In Italy, they tried the please please please follow our health guidelines and do not gather for a few weeks. It didn’t work. The lockdown with severe penalty for breaking did work.

I think the better approach is do lockdown but clearly explain for how long and for exactly what reasons together with a sustain package for at least those that loses real living income. New Zealand is a good example of doing this successfully.

But for the US, it’s probably too late. There is just so much lies and misinformation out there and there is also so much tiredness to this extended soft restrictions that more people now are accepting the risks or just ignoring it. The gov isn’t willing to make a politically unpopular decision to lock down. If and when it happen, it’s because the death toll are so high and hospitals are overrun. Don’t think it won’t happen.

#10255 Amiga, Nov 22, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    conquistador#11 likes this.
  16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

No Worries and London'sBurning like this.
  17. Major

Major Member

It's funny that you want to disobey rules not based on their merits but just because "freedom". Given that you're that irrational and would choose to make bad decisions for yourself and others just out of spite, it's unlikely that you'd have the common sense to follow good recommendations based on their merit either.

London'sBurning likes this.
  18. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

To be clear, I was speaking in a general "American we" sense. Personally, I am a very cautious and take many precautions for myself and those around me. I feel that is a choice I make for myself though.

My point is that I definitely know there a lot of people that intentionally violate the rules when they feel you are infringing upon their freedoms. I believe that if you are going to make rules clearly limiting freedoms, they better be damn well thought out, explained, and reasonable. Creating a curfew at an arbitrary time of 10PM is highly irrational. A 24 hour "curfew" makes more sense to me then that. Then you add in the fact that the person creating said curfew was just caught blatantly violating his own rules less than a week ago. Not gonnna work and a total failure of leadership. They need buy-in from the public and that is not how to get it.

19. Roscoe Arbuckle

I've known people that got it. Exactly 5. All recovered or were asymptomatic.

It's been 8 months and still people are panicking. I knew liberals were gullible but this time you've taken it to a new level and the economic impact is the only truly devastating thing that will happen.

Don't bother responding. I lost all respect for you a while ago...

#10259 Roscoe Arbuckle, Nov 22, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    Ottomaton likes this.
  20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So... because you don't know anyone who had been hospitalized or died, COVID isn't a big deal? I'll put you in touch with my cousin in law who lost 3 people in her family.

Ottomaton likes this.