1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(OFFICIAL) NBA 2020 Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ThatBoyNick, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

How would you quantify that in regards to results for this upcoming season? They were a 60 win pace defensive juggernaut team with the 2nd best record in the NBA and won the chip going 4-1, 4-1, 4-1, 4-2.

I think they surely improved on offense, but I'm not so certain about defense and fit. But again, everything is secondary to LeBron and AD playing well.

If they are that much better, or if the rest of the contenders are a little worse, then we may see another 60 win and playoff stomp by the Lakers. I hope that's not the case. It would be nice to have a competitive playoffs all the way through...hasn't been that way in a while except for the injured Warriors year.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

they probably hit close to 60 wins if not hit it altogether. If not, I don't think that matters to them. They will manage their team healthwise, i don't get the questions about fit. Wes mathews is a 3 and D shooter. fit. The lakers depserately needed a pg to help lebron. Schroder = fit. Harrell 6th man of the year who is a massive upgrade over Howard = fit.

3. Juxtaposed Jolt

Yup.

Wes Matthews = Danny Green
    Schroeder > Rondo
    Harrell >>> Howard

Lakers got a whole lot better.

YOLO likes this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

malakas and Vivi like this.
  5. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Again, this is a secondary or tertiary debate that matters much less than how the greatness of LeBron and AD just makes the game easier for everyone else. That said, I think Harrell as a 6th man is good, but doesn't provide the defensive ability to close as a 5 and probably won't be on the closing 5 in the playoffs. It's arguable that Wes Matthews is a bigger name than his true impact at this point in his career. And Schroder is one of the worst defensive guards in the league.

Before the bubble, the Lakers were on pace to be a 64 win team. I don't think they'll match that pace this year. And if you're saying their pace is close to 60 or at 60, and they don't go 4-1, 4-1, 4-1, 4-2 in the playoffs, then they will be worse. But it's all impossible to prove because of the moving parts and they'll probably win the chip again. Sigh, I hope some team can at least take them to 7 games, or 6 competitive games.

Rockets may still have a punchers shot, at least until Tilman dumps assets at the trade deadline to shed salary, lol.

6. Juxtaposed Jolt

I think Memphis is hoping he'll hit a 'growth spurt' of sorts, going into year 3.

But if he doesn't? Imagine paying someone 9M/year to only average 9/4/3. If there was an award for best agent, Melton's agent would win.

DeBeards likes this.
  7. Fantasma Negro

What the ****?! Knicks ain't signing nobody. Maybe Melo returns smh

8. Juxtaposed Jolt

Completely out of left field.

Went from Boston to maybe NY to maybe IND to maybe ATL to certainly IND...to signed with CHA.

fckbandwagons and Kim like this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Vivi likes this.
  10. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

That's a lot of money but hard to argue with when all these role players are getting big deals. At least Hayward has been an all star before. Russ + Hayward would be a legit eastern conference playoff team. But, I don't if that would still happen with Lamelo there.

Vivi likes this.
  11. Juxtaposed Jolt

I think Lamelo needs the ball in his hands. Adding a Westbrook would stifle his growth.

Hornets need a rim-running and/or PnP big man. Ironically, Christian Wood would have been a perfect signing for them.

Vivi likes this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

whoa. solid grab for miami. fits that culture

Vivi likes this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If they keep the Play In tourney it is already a success.

That was a blast till the end, the Suns were terrific.

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

Vivi, Caesar and fckbandwagons like this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

whoa

17. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

while you could probably argue it would have even been 4-1, 4-1, 4-1, 4-1 if they took miami more seriously, i really don't think the lakers were that dominant. they played one of the worst groups of 4 teams for any championship run. for an 82 game schedule, it was something like a 35 win, 50 win, 52 win, and 49 win team. 52 wins as your best opponent is the lowest i found going back to at least the mid-80's (unless i just missed one). that is a really bad high level opponent. and if AD doesn't hit a buzzer beating 3 in game 2 it's a really competitive series.

on top of that, their finals opponent was significantly injured and their second round opponent's 2nd best player was barely a replacement level player coming off an injury. even dame managed to miss part of game 4 and then game 5 just to make that series even more lopsided. it was a really weak level of competition even without the injuries and really bad after the injuries.

upsets count and the clippers and bucks deserve blame for losing, but i guarantee you no lakers fan was mad that they skipped out on the clippers and kawhi or the bucks and giannis as opposed to not-ready-for-primetime denver (who were closer to losing 4-1 to utah than to challenging the lakers) and an injury-plagued miami. maybe they still beat them, but i think those are good series. even though it was stupid, the reason you could have barkley saying portland and houston could beat the lakers is because they never really felt like some juggernaut. this wasn't like watching 1999 san antonio, much less like a '96 bulls, '01 lakers, '17 warriors like run where it seemed like there was no hope for any team.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

20. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

all these insane contracts being doled out

i can't even figure out how there will be a season when another state is closing up every week