1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Biden wants student debt cancellation: Schumer

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by GreatOne1978, Nov 7, 2020.

1. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

It's main core mission is what I state. You're too focused on the length of articles, which leads me to believe you are really proud of yourself when you read something long. I fail to think that it matters in terms of what is easier to make. I mean CNN makes short click bait daily, so? They package it as something educated people believe while rubes in the red "flyover" states just can't comprehend. Or outlets like VOX and other leftist cancer don't run long articles and they package them as well thought out think pieces, when really they go out of their way to ignore an entire half of the argument half the time. Regardless, I think you are likely one to think that liberal arts means leftists are produced and that the left is generally smarter than the right, which I think is a false paradigm many are adopting. Many "uneducated" types are still free thinkers and get there on their own. In fact, many are free from the dogmatic structures of certain programs at schools which hire professors that push a certain world view. Many are skeptical of what they hear in the media and from politicians. Many are extremely intelligent. In fact, some of the smartest people are farmers and hunters, who go out alone and think all day in the quiet peace of nature. You're sounding like an elitist to me if what I'm getting at. You buy the package you're being sold hook line and sinker from leftist outlets. And don't get me wrong, the right has it's fair share of manipulative outlets and politicians. Hell, Trump routinely engages in advanced persuasion techniques and many you all chalk it up to him being an idiot. It's rather amusing. Biden also is, despite his advanced age and decline, still pretty good at strategy when it comes to persuasion. Coming out with that little president elect sign despite not being elected... beautiful. Admitting to your crime and making it look like an accident so it looks less credible when people shout about it... also a master stroke. The left in general is very skilled with optics. Which is why people think they are "educated" if they vote that way.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Cnn isn't just for educated people. It's for people who leave their tv on during the day because for some reason they still have a cable package.

CNN caters to a large segment of the population in terms of education levels.

It's not just article length. Is how people consume news. If you consume news only through memes, headlines and internet comments, you are going to have very reductive arguments that are easily dismantled the moment the slightest hint of scrutiny is involved. Hence why sources that rely on memes and click bait to disimnantr information are targeting people who don't traditionally read and write. That's their target audience because that's who is more swayed by that type of content.

Instead of seeing it as "length of articles" see it as how much detail and sourcing is packed into an article. The more detail and data sourcing there is in an article the more difficult it isn't "brainwash" an individual with some sort of reductive arguments or slogan. It's a far larger huddle to be brainwashed by long nuanced articles. It would take considerably more effort by the writers and editors.

I just think the gen pop of America is more trained to scroll down a social media feeds and chuckle and laugh at all the memes regarding politics and public policy that massage their preconceived biases than actually hunting long form articles that might challenge then to think beyond the reductive arguments presented in said meme or headline. I believe kids who went though four years of reading and writing a lot are just going to be better trained to shuffle through that propaganda.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  3. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

CNN isn't for educated people at all. It's for people who THINK they are educated or people who are too busy to realize they are being fed one side. Now let's talk about news.... and memes... memes are just as true sometimes as some news articles and just as false. Typically memes are funny because there is an underlying truth in fact... which is the root of good comedy. This explains why the left has been so shitty at the meme game for years. Let's also not pretend that people at universities are reading long papers all the time. Many are cheating, and others are BSing their work or doing it half assed. And universities aren't holding their standards high enough. I never meet people who failed a liberal arts program for because it was just too hard, and that is why we have halfwits with degrees shouting their opinion everywhere like they are philosophers. No it really isn't a matter of reading a long educated well balanced article at university somehow makes you as smart as the writer. The same is true for novels. There are tons of readers but very few can actually pull off the novel. The same goes for readers of well thought out long articles with sourcing. Your argument really doesn't take these things into account. And while I agree that most people don't read and just scroll through clickbait, I don't really think you have much to say about liberal arts and its current state that I haven't heard from anyone. And I don't really find myself agreeing. I really have to say I disagree mostly that ADULTS, not kids btw, who go through university, are not somehow better suited when the standards are low. It is possible to parrot what the program teaches you and pass in almost any program. In fact this is a huge problem in academics today. In fact, university tends to indoctrinate people to lean toward only certain sources as if they are sacred and this grants trust to certain groups as arbiters of reality because students are OVERLY reliant on sourcing every thought rather than producing it themselves. I see this all the time when I come up with ideas and someone, usually a leftist, asks where did you read that or what source did you get that from... and I just tell them I pieced two and two together... I thought of it. They lack this key ability and instead overly cite think pieces and substitute this for actual thought. I guess it's a poor education system... that let's too many people in... and you get lazy or incapable educators... who substitute style over substance.... sources over original thoughts. Yes there is value in reading and writing, but if you don't know how to think for yourself it actually is more of a crutch to appear educated and fit in with what society deems educated on a surface level.

4. fchowd0311

Can you break up your thoughts into paragraphs?

And what did you piece two +two together and someone dismissed it?

And anyways pretty much everything you have to say here should be taken with a grain of salt as you have no experience with modern liberal arts ciriculims and are just expressing your perceptions based on click bait.

And memes are never a good primary source of information. It allows people to feel very comfortable about their preconceived biases because it strips away all context to wrap a nice reductive argument to massage your brain with happy thoughts of reading something you already agree with. The most important goal for social media execs is increasing interactions by the user as that generates more data selling oppurtines and ad revenue. Memes are a good way to increase that engagement as it's candy for the brain. Social media computer scientists have turned user engagement into a near empirical hard science. They can tell how long you've looked at a meme or whether you actually scroll down to read an article. They have all this information and they use it to maximize interactions. You don't maximize interactions with the general public by giving them boring headlines and dry long reading material.

Also you seem to have a problem understand correlation vs outliers. Are there people who read and write a lot that are prone to brainwashing? Absolutely but in general the average person who reads and writes a lot is less prone to being victims of online brainwashing than someone who doesn't read or write a lot.

I mean I was in a liberal arts program 6 years ago before I switched to engineering and completed it. I can safely say at least in my university(it's known to be a university that triggers right wing types like you), the reading and writing was pretty rigorous. What's your last experience?

#364 fchowd0311, Nov 20, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    FranchiseBlade likes this.
  5. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Bro... no one takes a meme as a primary source of information... they are used for jokes. You're giving them far too much credit if you think people use them as a primary source or really a source of anything other than amusement.

Also I am not really sure what you want to argue for... that people are less prone to brainwashing and propaganda when they read and write a lot? Monks used to do that all the time and they were indoctrinated into religions. It's about what you read and at universities the current world view being pushed in most programs is far leftism to a point of religious dogma. This actually is indoctrinating people and making them hyper susceptible to propaganda so long as it confirms their world view.

As for education, I'd like to go back to that. Reading and writing is just part of the program. They are aspects of teaching. You are ignoring the ideas. Those are the actual things that matter. What ideas are allowed into the conversation are key and if you're only getting part of the idea then you're being denied a true liberal arts education. I would argue most teachers just don't want to get into a lot of topics because of the outrage mobs that are circling the waters these days. You're not going to see well-educated students.

6. fchowd0311

Millions of people take memes and click bait titles as primary sources of information and most of those people never experienced a college curriculum of reading and writing a lot. Like I said before your, average blue collar high school educated American hasn't opened a novel or really dry nuanced literature since their high school lit class. The vast majority of Americans arent prepared to fend off click bait meme brainwashing.

I provided you specific reasons why reading and writing a lot allows for better introspective thinking where you are more prone to think for yourself rather than just regurgitate information. All you've provided is platitudes and a stupid analogy to monks.

It's reductivism vs nuance. It's much more difficult to brainwash people who are used to reading nuance and then writing their thoughts in explicit detail of what they read. The more reductive the message, the more context one can leave out. And in today's media landscape pretty much all the forms of media that require a subscription and aren't beholden to click bait ad revenue is labeled as "fake news" by the meme and click bait crowd. Why? Because those subscription based outlets aren't incentivized to massage the product's biases. The product is obviously you as they are selling you in the form of ad revenue and data. They are incentivized by trying to maintain their past century of reputation they have built. That reputation is what generates revenue for subscription based news media like WSJ or NYT.

Brainwashing is all about comforting one's preconceived biases. It's essentially a fork of a aggressive safe space. Memes and click bait is far more effective in doing that than long form articles.

The problem with you is you expect the average human to have an inherent ability to sift through click bait propaganda with no type of training at all. This is far from the truth. And unfortunately the mechanisms to train people to not fall for that type of brainwashing you label as useless libtard education.

You don't know a single thing about a modern social science curriculums in four year universities besides third hand accounts from click bait right wing sources. So please don't speak out of your ass in regards to those curriculums not touching "controversial subjects". Last time I checked it's right wing conservatives that want to white wash American history into butterflies and rainbows.

#366 fchowd0311, Nov 21, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    FranchiseBlade and FrontRunner like this.
  7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Tax cuts doubled the standard deduction. This reduced tax paid by many people who never went to college and improved their earning potential. People with college degrees or even some college, out earn those with no college by a wide margin.

8. Gabe0941

Gabe0941 Member

9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

10. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

What you call bullshit is what prevents having too many more Trump Covid deniers and Dachudas, so no thanks.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  11. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

PSA: Ramsey is good for people who are terrible with money, but if you want to build wealth, you leverage debt.

12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Has anyone stopped to consider the connection between this cold war on the right against providing higher education to everyone and the burning of books ritual famously from Nazi Germany that was supposed to symbolize a protest against indoctrination?

Ive always wondered why the right is so hostile to higher education but when you look back it seems pretty on the nose that this has always been a thing for the right.

Why??

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Because educated and smart people see through their bullshit.

DD

14. HTM

HTM Member

Doesn’t look like sleepy Joe has much real interest in doing anything about tackling the student debt crisis or the underlying issues. The kids got taken for a ride.

dachuda86 likes this.
  15. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member