1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian Wood is a Rocket (UPDATE : Yes -- it's true)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by treyk3, Nov 20, 2020.

1. csnerd84

csnerd84 Member

yea, It's better than trading for K. Love

2. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Don't forget Nwaba

3. fattz

fattz Member

Go to the G-League and find more players like this. They are there and waiting. Stop letting them bounce around the bottom of rotations around the NBA until they drive up their value then signing them. Wood’s skill set and talent is not a secret. Wood should be on a D. House type contract from 2 years ago. Along with 3 other players just as good as him. We no longer have MDA so let’s change what and how we operate. I am very happy to have Wood on the team. —> I know where to find more and we need more, too. Happy he is a Rocket

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

According to McMahon they are prepared for his departure just one day ago.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiret...eping-James-Harden-Will-Be-Patient-With-Trade

To me it just sounds like they want to give the fans something to look forward to one last time.

#564 daywalker02, Nov 21, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    Rudyc281 likes this.
  5. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

What did he say about Harden .... I haven't read his posts in any thread , save me the trouble and give a summary ?

6. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

He has been saying that his contact has said that Harden isn’t moving to the Nets. That it was the nets or the media trying to kinda force it.
    That it was more the media blowing it up and trying to make things happen.
    also that Russ was never unhappy with Harden.

I think Harden might have asked for a trade but it was more a result of the Russ trade rumors, Tilman and that Tilman wanted JVG while Harden didn’t.

This season Bra has called a lot of the signings before sham or woj.

I think this season we will have both Russ & Harden and if things don’t go well or they don’t fit then we might trade Russ at the deadline.

Corrosion, Kim, clos4life and 3 others like this.
  7. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

Moved RoCo for Christian Wood (better fit) and a FRP. Pretty good start for the rookie GM. Curious to see where they go with PJ & EGO.

Also think Wood works with current team, just Westbrook, or neither Westbrook or Harden (assuming get a guy like Simmons). So no real downside.

#567 Mkieke, Nov 21, 2020
  8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

so let me understand this. We traded Clint for a player we cut. and we traded a player we cut to make room to sign another player we cut?

Maybe we should actually start developing players instead of cutting them, letting them blow up on other teams, and then paying a kings ransom to get them back. I remember watching Christina Wood in summer league. It was very clear that he had talent worth developing ...and size you can't teach. Glad we recognize that now to the tune of $10 mil a year.

It's amazing to me how many teams don't evaluate their own talent properly.

Definitely a good signing though. Works if we rebuild or run with what we have.

#568 Aruba77, Nov 21, 2020
  9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

not the same player he used to be. maybe he's magically gotten his explosion back, but i think the injuries have really taken their toll. would have been psyched to get cousins 4 years ago. No so much now.

ak99999 and Dubious like this.
  10. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

Finally a much needed C/PF. This is a perfect fit for Harden if Harden decides to stay.

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

As angry as I was at the Rockets on draft night I am equally happy about this move.

this dude is legit real deal steal type player.

He can LEGIT be an all star, as early as next year. It’s up to him.

Unlikely the Wizards do this but I’d take the gamble on Wall and trade Russ for Wall+Rui. If I have to throw in a pick I give them that heavily protected Detroit pick.

Wall
    Harden
    Rui
    Tucker
    Wood

EG
    House
    Green
    McLemore

need a better bench.

Amel, joshuaao and Rudyc281 like this.
  12. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

So to summarize the RoCo trade see below. Let me know if i am missing something and I will edit it.

Houston Out
    RoCo (contract 2 years left at about 12.8 per?)
    2nd Rd pick to Pistons for S&T Wood (anyone know if this is a “fake” 2nd rnd pick that will likely never be conveyed? Still don’t know the protections but this was likely included just to save face and avoid tampering charges. Reporters were pretty overwhelmed last night and details like picks were pretty much ignored.

Houston In
    Christian Wood (3 years at $13.66 per)
    2021 Lotto protected 1st found pick from Portland
    2021 Heavily protected 1st round pick from Detroit (as Bima has mentioned Detroit will likely ask for lighter protections on this eventually due to Stepien rule)
    Kenyon Martin Jr (traded the 2021 Lakers pick that we “bought” for $4.6 mil for KMj) + 1mil to the Kings.

Does that sum it up correctly? I realize that some people will add the Capela deal to this but that was Tilman/Morey’s move last year so you can’t put the loss of the 1st rd pick on Stone.

I’d say he maximized RoCo’s value and then used that to obtain Wood for sorely needed size and still netted us some assets. If that Detroit pick ever gets conveyed then what great maneuvering by Stone. It definitely appeared that Wood was the Rockets all along for these moves to take place. Masterful by Stone so far.

#572 jakedasnake, Nov 21, 2020
    Corrosion, csnerd84, joshuaao and 2 others like this.
  13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

get christian wood to work with hakeem as soon as he touches down in houston.

although i enjoyed small ball, it was weird to not have a legit big man on the rockets when the rockets have historically had some of the best big men ever to play.

15. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

also, a lot of u guys are forgetting that we have david nwaba. if he's fully healthy, he's one of the better perimeter defenders in the league. i don't think our defense should take too much of a hit after losing roco (don't get me wrong.. roco and pj together was great while it lasted). we are gonna need a little bit more depth at the 4/5 spot to compete with the fakers. jeff green + another vet?

D-rock and Rudyc281 like this.
  16. CXbby

CXbby Member

So some how the Rockets pulled off the biggest signing of the off season. Would have been nice if everything else wasn't such a mess.

17. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe Rafa has been the GM the whole time. Morey just likes to sign Dwight Howard every few years.

ChillyPete32 and sirjesse like this.
  18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It took 8 years to finally put a legit shooting center around Harden. And it might be for naught! Hopefully, he stays.

19. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

Thanks for the clarification.

I’m pretty sure WB+Gordon+picks = Wall+Bertans (S&T) financially speaking so the Rockets would be left in the same situation that they’re in now. They’d have 9 roster spots filled and have to fill out the rest of the roster with minimum salaries. Tate, J Green, Coboclo and G Green could be 4 targets at the minimum. The Rockets would need to find a minimum backup PG though. Maybe DJ Augustine or someone similar.

Wall
    Harden/McLemore
    House/Nwaba
    Bertans/Martin
    Wood/PJ

joshuaao likes this.
  20. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Well played Mr. tinywang!! ;)

Lol...This is by far the best post in this entire thread!! Not only is it witty, but it was done by a fellow poster that goes by @tinywang at 1:30am! Clutchfans delivers once again!!!

#LoveWoodSigning
    #InStoneWeTrust

Go Rockets!!!