1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian Wood is a Rocket (UPDATE : Yes -- it's true)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by treyk3, Nov 20, 2020.

1. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Not really. Harden is under contract for 2 more years, they don't have to convince him to stay. The game plan is to keep him for one more year and see how it goes unless they get an offer they can't refuse.

Red.Glare, D-rock and Patience like this.
  2. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Lol look at the game logs. He didn’t play 30+ mins per game until the last 20 games. That 13 and 6 is in only 20 minutes a game!

3. Juxtaposed Jolt

Appreciate some analysis. I think most of us on the board are just wikipedia'ing Christian Wood, seeing his statline from seasons prior and then basing judgments on that one page.

Not saying he's the saving grace for the Rockets, but I'm optimistic. And some others on here are definitely not.

raining threes and D-rock like this.
  4. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

His per minute numbers were even pretty good last year before he got more PT and were not bad the year before in his very limited action with NOLA and Milwaukee (where Giannis was upset he got waived). There are a lot of reasons to think he can maintain the trajectory, though he could get lazy after signing a big deal.

D-rock likes this.
  5. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Stephen Silas wants to use Christian Wood similarly to Kristaps Porzingis in Dallas.

As a 3 Point Shooting Center. Kristaps use to be really Athletic now he is mostly a spot up 3 Point shooter. Christian can used as a All Around talent.

6. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Pascal Siakam at 24: 16.9 PTS, 6.9 RB, 1AST, 59% eFG, 37% 3PT

Christian Wood at 24: 13.1 PTS, 7.9 RB, 1AST, 62% eFG, 39% 3PT

Alright alright, I know it's hardly a fair comparison, but I'm saying there's a possibility we see a huge jump in production from Wood like we saw from Siakam.

7. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

IMO the signing is a good one. Woods has a lot of potential along with physical gifts. He has shown elite abilities such as rim running and shooting at his position and with his size, athleticism and age, Woods is a steal for the Rockets.

But I disagree with those proclaiming that this signing improved the team from previous years team. Woods was above average for part of the year and very good for parts of this past year, His 3pt shooting improved by over 33% over his previous 4 years, a fluke? an improvement? He played for a terrible team that went 1-12 when he posted his best stats. A case of empty numbers or were they real numbers?

Woods will either regress or he is going to continue to improve and be very good, its impossible to know what he will look like after receiving his first major payday and playing on a winning team.

The Rockets gave up a known valuable player/asset in Covington, someone the team could count on for excellent help defense, good shooting and veteran leadership/play. In exchange they got a player with a vastly higher ceiling, potential but at the same time a much lower floor.

If this acquisition help the Rockets appease Harden, its a major win... if it doesn't its still a good signing as Woods or covington weren't likely to be the deciding factor anyways and Woods youth/potential is worth the risk.

Little Bit and D-rock like this.
  8. Juxtaposed Jolt

Kristaps is more versatile than that. But his "problem" is Doncic. Doncic does everything, much like Harden and Westbrook will do everything. So I think Wood is going to be more "Kristaps in DAL" than "Kristaps in NY."

Kevin Love was a really good basketball player, but Kyrie and LeBron caused his role as a basketball player to greatly diminish. It's no knock on Kevin, Kristaps or Christian Wood - that's just how it goes.

Corrosion and rockets1995 like this.
  9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

10. James.B.H

James.B.H Member

Yeah, what I am trying to say is that Wood and Anderson are completely different type of players, and it doesn't make much sense to compare them purely because of the similarity of stats with a very small sample size.

I am hopeful that Wood can develop to be as good as Anderson ever was.

Nook likes this.
  11. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Look at his real plus minus numbers during his prime.

12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Wood is a great signing, but trading Covington for him doesn't make us a better team, likely worse.

13. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

They can do a sign and trade but at the end of the deal they have to be below the apron.

Also remember that if you have less than 12 players on your roster then you get charged an "incomplete roster charge". That amount is equal to the rookie minimum which I believe is just under $900k this year.

Dubious and D-rock like this.
  14. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Anything better than our Clint Capela Shooting, Bad Free Throw hitch shot or Ryan Anderson can't shoot 3s at Home, Background Troubles.

D-rock likes this.
  15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Love love LOVE this pick up.

DD

16. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

The Rockets need more Youth at Small Forwards. Athleticism with 6'8 or above that can run and dunk and shoot 3s.

Can the Rockets trade Danuel House for another Danuel House, that is more mature and smarter in life with women.

17. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

The Rockets can make as many S&T deals as they want. They just can't exceed the apron level.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Just keep him....he screwed up, weird situation with the bubble.....I think his talent is worth keeping.

DD

19. James.B.H

James.B.H Member

Yeah, he score 32 against Embiid the game before shutdown, on 14 of 18 shooting, which is insane. He also blocked Embiid twice in a 1 on 1 situation.

I think he is already a great roller and finisher around the rim, can also shoot (I am still not convinced that he is a consistently good 3p Shooter, his numbers last year might be an outlier, we'll see), and a pretty versatile help defender. If he play alongside Harden for over 30 minutes a game, he is a 18/10 guy. He needs to improve his strength and passing, but he is still young and definitely have room to grow. I would be very happy about the acquisition if not for the WB/Harden trading drama, and if we didn't give up Roco.

roslolian and D-rock like this.
  20. OkayAyeReloaded

Reading this tread from the beginning is like watching a movie.

He really looks great with star potential, great move.

Glad to see Clutchfans get a win.

pr0wler, D-rock and sammy like this.