1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let's judge Tillman from this point on

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wizkid83, Oct 29, 2020.

1. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Tillman wasn't willing to spend on the margins when we were championship contenders and that can't be glossed over.That being said, I'm cautiously optimistic about Raphael Stone and Stephen Silas. They have paid their dues and have the potential to bring some fresh thinking to our organization.

I'll always appreciate the tenacity that Morey brought to this job, but we have talented, fresh blood at the helm. Let's not let the stench of Tillman cloud our judgment of these two.

snowconeman22 and D-rock like this.
  2. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

we have 3 years of ownership to judge him on already.

every move both on and off the court, since he bought the team, was made to cut costs. there is no reason to think morey was getting in the way of tilman trying to win. its quite clearly the other way around.

3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

After the Westbrook trade this is kind of like saying someone punched you in the face and kicked you in the knee but let's call it even from here.

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

THIS

AroundTheWorld and D-rock like this.
  5. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

If the judging starts now than you have to give him credit if they win the finals. I do agree that Tilman now has all the guys he wanted and let’s see what he does. I’m not a Tilman fan and have showed my displeasure with him via Twitter to the point where I’ve had my account banned and another account suspended for 24 hours. But so far with the promotion of Rafael Stone and hiring of Stephen Silas I’ve been pretty impressed. Now wether they work out or not is a different story but positive moves have been made and let’s not forget that Stone was the mastermind behind most of DM’s trades that got national media attention and Silas was the mastermind behind DAL historic offensive season in 2019-2020. Interesting to see what happens.

6. Caprah

Caprah Member

7. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Guys.

I think its time for another clean slate to judge Tilman on...

Forget about the Roco salary dump... forget the ariza dump... new beginnings!!!

joshuaao, Bo6, Rudyc281 and 3 others like this.
  8. s3ts

s3ts Member

This is the worst of times to come out and say this.

Rockets will eventually dump Harden + Russ. So this clean slate? It's going to start off with trading away 2 former MVPs for garbage.

You might've started this thread in 2022 when Houston sports is a desert wasteland. We haven't even hit bottom yet, nor have we seen the vertical drop-off.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  9. Erbnwarfare

Erbnwarfare Member

Tony Kornheiser blasted Tillman about ruining years franchise lol .
    I don't know how to link.

10. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

11. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I've already judged.

He approaching Bud Adams territory.

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We should restart the clock today and judge him only on what he does ignoring the last month.

Heck, actually, we should only judge him after 5 more seasons past - that would be more fair. You know what, make it 10. The first 12 years as an owner is more of a safety trial and nothing else.

dreamshakin likes this.
  13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Man at least Bud wanted to win .... even if he was an *******.

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Did not age well, and it's 3 weeks ago

split41, Easy, FrontRunner and 3 others like this.
  15. ickaruto

ickaruto Member

Watching Morey walk out of the Toyota Cener and get into his Audi was one of the worst things Ive had to endure sports-wise. Having said that, I think we can take a minute to understand that CEO and owner of a dining, hospitality, entertainment and gaming multi-brand corporation is hemorrhaging money due to the pandemic and this is simply out of his control.

It sucks because I love this team and I've wanted to blame someone since game 5 in 2018.

16. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Just wish he’d come out and be honest about his severe financial situation and quit lying to us about an “open pocketbook”, etc.

s3ts likes this.
  17. Erbnwarfare

Erbnwarfare Member

He was being cheap before the Pandemic.

18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

This is a billionaire?

Guy overpaid and then drove down the value of the franchise. Guy is going to get RAKED when he has to sell in a year or two. What a dumbass. Should have just stayed quiet on the sidelines, but he had to meddle. Thats what you get.

19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The vast majority of his cheapness and stupid choices came before Covid.

I could almost understand and sympathize with his financial situation if he had been playing to win beforehand, but he wasn't. His MO has been a consistent one in every business he's owned, and now he's treating the Rockets like a new Joes Crab Shack, increase profits by cutting corners.

He's too stupid to realize winning is what drives value in sports, particularly in such a player driven league.

split41, joshuaao and FrontRunner like this.
  20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Donald Sterling's Clippers was a good example of an owner who has no interest in winning but still makes money out of owning the team. The way the NBA is structured (salary cap, lux tax, shared revenue, etc.) makes it awfully hard to lose money for individual ownership.

The NBA is in actuality one monopolized company with 30 franchises operating under it. As long as the league is profitable, individual franchises are pretty safe.

I am not optimistic that Tilman will sell the team because of financial hardship unless he REALLY screws up. He will probably sell his other businesses before he sells the Rockets.

joshuaao likes this.