1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Milos

Milos Member

SPRING TRAINING BATTLES

UT - Am I the only one consistently disappointed with Aledmys Diaz' production as our Marwin replacement?
    In reality, he probably is a lock to return to his utility role next season, but I wouldn't mind at all if we did a little bargain shopping right before camp opens to add another cheap vet as competition and insurance at the back end of the roster (Return of Marwin ?!?!)

IF - As mentioned above, I feel this team could really use 1 more versatile vet on the end of the bench that can play up the middle
    I like Toro's switch-hitting ability as a pinch hitter, and think he has a future as an MLB player, but would like him to use the Spring to show he can handle more positions than just the corners

OF - Again, this is probably more of a luxury, but I wouldn't mind digging thru the FA scrap heap to see if there is a vet option to compete with Straw for the 4th OF job
    Straw is a fine defender and blazing fast, so going cheap here is not a disaster, but there could be a lot of bargains this winter (Return of Jake ?!?!)

S5 - I see no need to look outside for help filling out the rotation with all the young arms already here to compete for the last starting gig
    Ideally, Forest Whitley does in 21 what Kyle Tucker did in 20 ... finally fulfill his vast potential as a ML regular with star upside
    Since he hasn't pitched in over 2 years, that is probably wishful thinking
    If he stumbles again, there is an army of young, talented arms behind him waiting to take this spot
    Javier, James, Garcia, Abreu and Armenteros are waiting in the wings with ML experience and plenty of arm talent
    This may be the most intense battle of spring camp

R3 - Scratch that previous statement ... THIS will be the most hotly contested spring battle for a roster spot
    Take the 6 I mentioned as rotation candidates, then add in Raley, Scrubb, Pruitt, Bailey, Bielak, Perez ...
    Regardless of who makes the opening day roster, the Sugarland Skeeters are going to have a fierce staff in AAA next year
    As the 2020 season proved, you can never have enough quality arms, and the Astros could have at least 10 of them with ML experience waiting for a callup

Nook likes this.
  2. Milos

Milos Member

MY PROJECTED
    Astros Opening Day 2021 25-man Roster

Total Payroll: <$179.8M>
    ($146.8M if assuming Verlander covered by insurance)

HITTERS (13) <$90.2M>
    Lineup
    2B Altuve - 29
    LF Brantley (L) - 14
    3B Bregman - 12.7
    DH Yordan (L) - 0.5
    SS Correa - 9 Arb3
    RF Tucker (L) - 0.5
    1B Yuli - 6.5
    CF JBJ (L) - 8
    C Maldonado - 3.5
    Bench
    UT Aledmys - 3 Arb2
    C2 Wieters (S) - 2
    IF Toro (S) - 0.5
    OF Straw - 0.5

PITCHERS (12) <$89.6M>
    Rotation
    S1 Greinke - 24.7
    S2 Framber (L) - 0.5
    S3 Urquidy - 0.5
    S4 LMJ - 5.6 Arb4
    S5 Whitley - 0.5
    SINJ Verlander - 33
    Bullpen
    R9 Hand (L) 8.5
    R8 Pressly 8.8
    R7 Smith - 4
    R6 Javier 0.5
    R5 Paredes 0.5
    R4 Taylor (L) - 0.5
    R3 Raley (L) - 2

#642 Milos, Nov 19, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  3. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

You have to add 15-16 million to payroll for benefits provided to players. They are included in luxury tax calculations. Also a couple 2-3 million for players on the 40 man that move up and down during the season.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Why is Javier listed as a reliever for the regular season? I'm looking forward to what Javier can do as a starter once his arm is stretched out in Spring Training.

5. Milos

Milos Member

Yeah I think final rotation spot is wide open w at least 5 legit candidates that can swing from spot starter to long relief depending on off days, etc
    I went with Whitley as my personal preference bc he's the only 1 of that group I don't see coming out of the pen ... he's in a rotation either here or AAA

Plus I actually think Javier could become our closer down the line so wouldn't mind seeing that transition starting already
    As a starter, his 'stuff' isn't really A+ as he seems to pace himself, but I would like to see what his A+ version looks like coming out of the pen firing without any reservation
    Either way he has the demeanor of a guy with a long, bright future as a ML pitcher

6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Not bad. Only comment I have is I will be very very surprised if Houston fills all their holes via free agents. I fully expect Click to make 2-3 trades to address the OF and pitching depth.

Although it would be great, I would be really surprised if Whitley was on the opening day roster.

7. Milos

Milos Member

Yeah I was thinking about that once I realized the sudden glut of young, cheap, talented arms we developed rapidly out of desperation last year
    If looking to improve via trade, that is definitely the strength from which this team should deal
    Honestly I have no idea who's on the block to even consider for hypothetical matches on a swap

As for Forest ... starting to wonder if this isn't Appel 2.0 ... he stalled out for 3 years in high minors and never made any Opening Day in the majors
    That would make Luhnow 0-for-3 on 1st Rd starters including 2 #1 overall ... that's not going on the resume

#647 Milos, Nov 19, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    Snake Diggit likes this.
  8. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I believe there will be a significant trade happening. We have alot of young Pitchers. And we have another SP who needs to be in the BP. Cough MCCULLERS Cough.
    I would honestly trade MCCULLERS.
    Js

9. Milos

Milos Member

Agreed
    Certainly have zero interest in extending him long term next offseason as he plays into his 30s
    Get anything you can now before something else on him pops / snaps / breaks / falls off
    He's no better than our #4 now anyway, and could easily be overtaken for that role this year by one of the young guys

10. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I don't see them trading McCullers. He's only going to be making about 6 million and replacing him in the rotation with someone better would cost more money or require trading assets.

jiggyfly likes this.
  11. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

But has apparently said he will not go to the BP and wants SP money.

Hmm not good enough to be a SP.
    Best thing to do is... get wtF you can in a trade to better this team.

Guess what.
    Call the Reds and see what you can do To nab Nick Senzel. Start with McCullers.
    And see where to go from there

12. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

And who exactly are you sending as the keystone in the trade for Senzel? One year of McCullers is not the big piece in a trade for Senzel with 5 years of team control left.

My bet, even though I don't love it, McCullers will be in the rotation for the Astros in 2021. The Astros need 2 starting outfielders, a backup catcher, and a solid reliever in the pen. Trading McCullers away and creating another hole is unlikely. Expect the Astros to be well below the luxury tax in payroll as well.

13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Rule 5 protection deadline is at 5 pm today. I consider it likely that we will see at least 1 trade from Houston. They only have 3 open 40 man spots and at least 4 prospects who should be protected (Whitley, Solis, Ivey, and Nova).

Here is the group of prospects I think are most “tradeable”:

Forrest Whitley
    Cristian Javier
    Bryan Abreu
    Luis Garcia
    Cionel Perez
    Frances Martes
    Brandon Bielak
    Tyler Ivey

Given the large group of what should be affordable backup catchers, starting pitchers, and relievers in free agency, I think Click could use that group to address 3 of the remaining needs he has (CF, LF, draft picks/high ceiling position player prospects).

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Javier was the best starter (40 pitch minimum) in the first in 2020. In the 1st, Javier was more dominant than the best closer in 2020. He doesn't pace himself well. He uses up his heat in 1st 2-3 innings and then becomes average for another 2-3 innings. With maybe an inning or 2 of him throwing junk if he loses it early and Astros had a comfortable lead. He may be the most extreme example of someone that doesn't pace himself as a starter. It will be very hard for Javier to get 4-6 innings of average to dominant stuff every 5 days in relief and still have something in the tank to be a dominant releiver in the postseason.

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Per Kaplan, Ivey wasn't at instructs this year so I doubt he's on the 40-man (https://theathletic.com/2154818/202...tros-prospects-who-require-rule-5-protection/) despite prior to this year thinking he was thought of very well. Kaplan expects Whitley, Solis, Nova, and Rivera with Ivey and Solomon as other options.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Armenteros was a nice depth arm that would likely have been used at some point next year if he passed through waivers.

Mayfield. He was not a nice depth IF, but he probably would have been used at some point next year if he passed through waivers.

17. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Armenteros was shutdown last season with elbow and shoulder problems. I am not surprised they let him go.

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm not surprised he was put on waivers. Losing him for nothing still sucks.

Screaming Fist likes this.
  19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

There goes a seemingly great spring training player

Nook likes this.
  20. Buck Turgidson

Super Jack was handy to have around. Not irreplaceable, but still...Bruntlett Light